Caledonian AFL All Chat

Boab17

Any talk of new clubs joining the league for next season?
Noticed on Twitter the top two sides from the SAFL Premier (Inverclyde & Castlemilk) are joining The Central.

Don’t think the SAFL will last much longer. That’s St Joseph’s, Goldenhill, Inverclyde, Castlemilk and Oban all gone in the space of a few years. Motherwell Thistle folded recently too. They used to have four (?) full divisions and now they’ve got 19 teams at the most for next season, losing their two best teams again, as seems to be a trend over the past few years. A shame.

Not heard of anybody new joining the Caley.

Amazing comeback by Cambria today to stay in league.

A great result for them.

Confirmed relegated are now Glasgow Uni, Dalziel and Milngavie. Promoted are Doune, Cambusbarron and St Joseph’s.

Took in the Glasgow Harp-Wishaw WW game tonight at Allan Glen’s and there was some wild refereeing decisions made throughout (against both teams). I’m at an age and a stage in my life where I’ve seen it all and I’m used to it, so there’s no point in caring too much about it but I’d have loved to have got the referee and the linesman’s take on Glasgow Harp’s second penalty. A penalty given against Wishaw for foul and abusive language against a Harp player!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Dumbarton on winning the league last night. A tight league season with very little between the top 3 or 4 sides, same down at the bottom too.

I was a bit surprised that St Mungo beat Glasgow Harp and stopped Harp's late run for the title last night - fair play to them. Any reports from that game?

2 hours ago, Hands_Free said:

Congratulations to Dumbarton on winning the league last night. A tight league season with very little between the top 3 or 4 sides, same down at the bottom too.

I was a bit surprised that St Mungo beat Glasgow Harp and stopped Harp's late run for the title last night - fair play to them. Any reports from that game?

Harp and Mungo is a local Bishopbriggs rivarly. Mungo were pretty happy stopping Harp winning the league if their social media activity is anything to go by (pretty classless imo).

Why do Wishaw have the full name of "Wycombe Wanderers" in their name? Usually if a club is named after another, they don't take the town name as well.

I vaguely recall a conversation with somebody from WWW about this after a few pints so the details might be somewhat sketchy, but it’s along the lines of…
A boy from Wishaw, back in the early 90s, was working in Wycombe and had something to do with the football club (perhaps on a voluntary basis), and ended up supporting them and getting involved with them, developing some relationships with people inside the club.
When he came back up the road in 1994, he set about forming his own club in the local area paying homage to the team who he had supported for several years down south.

I believe, judging by social media, they have forged a friendship with Wycombe Wanderers and the Wycombe chairman/owner has been to a few Wishaw games.

I vaguely recall a conversation with somebody from WWW about this after a few pints so the details might be somewhat sketchy, but it’s along the lines of…
A boy from Wishaw, back in the early 90s, was working in Wycombe and had something to do with the football club (perhaps on a voluntary basis), and ended up supporting them and getting involved with them, developing some relationships with people inside the club.
When he came back up the road in 1994, he set about forming his own club in the local area paying homage to the team who he had supported for several years down south.

I believe, judging by social media, they have forged a friendship with Wycombe Wanderers and the Wycombe chairman/owner has been to a few Wishaw games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49974038.amp

[emoji1360]

• 2 weeks later...

Thorn Athletic confirmed as being accepted into the WOSFL. Not sure what the implications are (if any) for the Caley League here as the last I heard, Thorn didn't have an amateur team sorted for next season yet (current Caley team stepping up to WOSFL).

They were included in the Caley’s AGM paperwork last week so I suppose time will tell.
Chat that Stenhousemuir are looking for a relief of fixtures for a season because their coaching staff and most of their players have gone to Steins Thistle. Don’t know how true any of that is though.

Good luck to thorn on there new venture. Can’t blame teams for wanting to progress further. Be interesting to see how they fair next year at amateur. If Glasgow uni and Finnart are anything to go by it could be a struggle. Not heard that about stenny but if it’s true then that’s a big blow to the league in my opinion. Stenny have never had problems getting players that I can remember and that’s going back over 10 years in the Stirling league as well. Only need to see teams folding or struggling on twitter this summer though to see how hard it is. 

The Caley’s league structure is changing at the end of this season (2022/23). Will be a twelve team Premier with the remaining teams competing in the First Division (as of 23/24). There are provisions in place for this season to allow that to happen but no idea how that’ll work if Stenny don’t make it and if, for whatever reason, Thorn can’t get a team together.
Was chatting to someone who went to the Caley AGM and Stenny didn’t attend in any capacity (nor did Westerlands).
Think we could see a lot of teams disappearing this year. Two big established clubs in Eastfield and Uddy Anvil already gone in other leagues.

Too many ducks to get in a row but it’s probably about time for the amalgamation of the Saturday afternoon leagues in the central belt. Caley, Central, Greater Glasgow and SAFL all making one big association but it’ll never, ever happen.

On 25/06/2022 at 19:17, Crazy Feet said:

Thorn Athletic confirmed as being accepted into the WOSFL. Not sure what the implications are (if any) for the Caley League here as the last I heard, Thorn didn't have an amateur team sorted for next season yet (current Caley team stepping up to WOSFL).

My understanding there is a team in place to continue