Caledonian AFL All Chat

Boab17

Both divisions are very competitive this season. First Division Doune looking good but not home and dry yet, with the top 3 still not set in stone either. St Joes have been a slight disappointment, would have expected them to skoosh the First Division but maybe they aren't as strong as they have been in recent seasons.

Premier League is competitive as well with 3 or 4 teams still in the title race.

The relegation battle will go to the wire as well. Glasgow Uni look like they are away but probably any 2 from about another 5 could join them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think the prem is between Dunbarton, Thorn and Glasgow Harp although they have quite a few games to catch up on. Glasgow uni look to be down and Daizel and Milngave possibly as well with so few games left. 
Doune look to have the first wrapped up with St Joes and Cambusbarron sitting in 2nd and 3rd but Milton can go up if they win there games in hand. Still a bit to play for. 

Had no idea this forum was still going and stumbled upon it earlier.

As of today, Glasgow Uni relegated from Caley Premier.
Dumbarton win and EKYM defeat stretches Dumbarton’s lead at the top with Thorn, Giffnock and Glasgow Harp also still in contention, albeit the latter two have a lot of games still to play.
Dalziel, Milngavie, Cambria, Strathclyde Uni and Wishaw WW all scrambling to try and avoid the last couple of relegation places.

St Joseph’s, Doune and Cambusbarron all promoted. Doune have one league game left against Rothesay at home so imagine Doune will win the league outright.

Some crazy results recently in the league.

The Central Premier might have the top 3-4 teams in the country but the Caley Premier is the most competitive league out there at the moment. Dumbarton top of the league and they've only won 14 of their 23 league games!

Edited by Crazy Feet

On the West of Scotland League New clubs thread it's mentioned that Thorn's are supposed to have applied to join that league.

Any thoughts?

What's their set-up like? Is the ground decent and up-gradable to the West standards?

Any other club applied or thinking about it in future?

8 hours ago, Dev said:

On the West of Scotland League New clubs thread it's mentioned that Thorn's are supposed to have applied to join that league.

Any thoughts?

What's their set-up like? Is the ground decent and up-gradable to the West standards?

Haven’t played there in a few years but it’s not a ground. It’s an open grass park with a small hill up one side which is a good seat in the summer. Was a very good surface though. Not sure what the requirements would be. I know Glasgow uni moved but they play at Airdie stadium. 

On 03/05/2022 at 23:00, Dev said:

Any thoughts?

They are planning to upgrade over the summer 

10 hours ago, Dev said:

Good to hear. Let's hope it's enough to get in this time.

I don't know as the work was meant to get done at the end of March. They now say June we will wait and see. The Thorn now have control over the public park which has another 2 pitches on it.

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

I don't know as the work was meant to get done at the end of March. They now say June we will wait and see. The Thorn now have control over the public park which has another 2 pitches on it.

Sounds hopeful as the plans will be in place in any case.

Clubs taking on public playing fields is happening more and more, depending on which Council is involved. It should see an overall improvement in facilities e.g. cover for spectators, enclosed 1st team ground/railed off playing area etc. Will this hit other amateurs which just want pitch hire? Someone-else begging that question on another thread. 

2 hours ago, Dev said:

Sounds hopeful as the plans will be in place in any case.

Clubs taking on public playing fields is happening more and more, depending on which Council is involved. It should see an overall improvement in facilities e.g. cover for spectators, enclosed 1st team ground/railed off playing area etc. Will this hit other amateurs which just want pitch hire? Someone-else begging that question on another thread. 

The Thorn have a lot of youth teams who will be using the pitches. If you want to hire a pitch you would be dealing with the Thorn not the council 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2022 at 21:29, Uncle Scan said:

They hope to have an Amateur team as well and an U21 team as well

What amateur team? They don't have two teams at the moment. I would expect their Caley team to all move up to the WOSFL leaving them with zero players for the Caley Team.

If they tried to get an average amateur team or 21s to step into the Caley Premier they would get humped every week and I'm not sure what the Caley League themselves would think of that either?

It would seem to make more sense to just not have an amateur team at all and after their 20s you jump to the WOSFL Team.

On 23/05/2022 at 16:28, Crazy Feet said:

What amateur team? They don't have two teams at the moment. I would expect their Caley team to all move up to the WOSFL leaving them with zero players for the Caley Team.

If they tried to get an average amateur team or 21s to step into the Caley Premier they would get humped every week and I'm not sure what the Caley League themselves would think of that either?

It would seem to make more sense to just not have an amateur team at all and after their 20s you jump to the WOSFL Team.

Glasgow uni moved to the WOSL and kept an amateur team so if they can still field one I can’t see it being an issue. Will be a blow though as thorn have been challenging for the league for a few years now and winning it on one of those. 

Anyone(s)  willing to keep news on the League coming from now on and through the season on P&B?

It would be good if possible.

Good to have other Leagues covered too e.g. Central Scottish etc.

Glasgow uni moved to the WOSL and kept an amateur team so if they can still field one I can’t see it being an issue. Will be a blow though as thorn have been challenging for the league for a few years now and winning it on one of those. 
I get your point but don't glasgow uni have about 6 teams? They have a larger pool from which to draw players than anyone (other than Strathclyde and Stirling unis), comparing a local community club like Thorn with them is an unfair one. However Thorn would definitely be a loss if they left the caley as they've been excellent since joining.

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:
7 hours ago, LoveFitbaw said:

I get your point but don't glasgow uni have about 6 teams? They have a larger pool from which to draw players than anyone (other than Strathclyde and Stirling unis), comparing a local community club like Thorn with them is an unfair one. However Thorn would definitely be a loss if they left the caley as they've been excellent since joining.

Perhaps Thorn will try and get a local youth side, maybe Johnstone Burgh 21s to step up and be Thorn's new amateur team?