Caledonian AFL All Chat

Boab17

Glasgow Harp used to be a real force in the Caley league and very good set up there. 

Cambria more of an up and coming team allthough have made huge progress winning the west and a regular in the latter stages of the big cups.

Be interesting to see how both teams get on next season with the changes. 

Im sure Cambria will allways be close to Micks heart, hes got a nice tattoo to remind him of his success there.

All the best to both Clubs in the future!!

9 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

That's a question only the manager could answer I think.

Traditionally Glasgow Harp are a much bigger club than Cambria and they have a nice setup with social club and committee etc behind the,. Maybe just felt it was time for a new challenge.

They have touching 30 bodies at preseason going by their twitter account. I would expect Harp to be up the top end of the league this season definitely.

Hopefully Cambria can recover with the new management team in place and can continue to run two teams. Seen 12 from Cambria have already confirmed as signing for Harp, also heard Cambria had lost a couple of players junior as well. Could be an uphill struggle for them this year. A club that gave the manager the platform to win the west cup and he goes and takes almost a full team to play at the exact same level down the road. 

Glasgow Harp set up is ok but its a set up for rugby first and football secondary. The Social Club is not Glasgow Harps and there pitch being honest hasn't been in great nick for a few years now.  

Park at Allan Glens is in absolutely superb condition at the moment, was in great condition last season as well whenever I watched games there. 

Edited by CF72

12 hours ago, CF72 said:

Park at Allan Glens is in absolutely superb condition at the moment, was in great condition last season as well whenever I watched games there. 

Played on it last season and to call it decent would be a stretch. There's a lot worse out there absolutely but in comparison to Stepps its a cowfield.

12 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

Played on it last season and to call it decent would be a stretch. There's a lot worse out there absolutely but in comparison to Stepps its a cowfield.

No point comparing pitches to stepps... they are bowling greens. 

1 hour ago, Gunner said:

No point comparing pitches to stepps... they are bowling greens. 

That's what we are comparing though in this situation. Same league, now same players but worse park, point that is being made is the strange decision to move by the manager. I can understand maybe wanting to try a different league or junior etc but to move in the same league to a team down the road is extremely strange. I've seen things on twitter like "can't wait for this exciting new challenge" I am struggling to see what is new about it apart from a different team name on the teamlines. 

That's what we are comparing though in this situation. Same league, now same players but worse park, point that is being made is the strange decision to move by the manager. I can understand maybe wanting to try a different league or junior etc but to move in the same league to a team down the road is extremely strange. I've seen things on twitter like "can't wait for this exciting new challenge" I am struggling to see what is new about it apart from a different team name on the teamlines. 

Agree with majority of this. Strange move unless there's been a fall out?? Obviously i dont know ins and outs but to have been at a club for 10 years (think thats what he said) to then leave and take nearly a full squad is poor imho. Shows a lack of decency.

20 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

I know. I was only commenting on the parks though. The rest, time will tell. 

I believe at Cambria Mick and Paul were involved with running both the team and the club as well. I’m sure you’ll agree that the way football is at the minute it would be tough to run both the team and the club. There is a good commitee in place at Glasgow Harp who deal with the majority of things which will allow Mick to concentrate on the football side of things. 

Glasgow Harp put a list on their Twitter of who they’ve signed so far. 90% of them playing with Cambria’s Caley team from last season.
Presumably meaning a lot of existing Glasgow Harp players will be out the door.
Don’t agree that Stepps is all it’s made out to be either, it looks good and all the rest of it but isn’t great when actually playing on it. Aye, it’s probably better than most of the grass parks (ie Wishaw, Dumbarton Accies, Thorn, probably Glasgow Harp, and the Glasgow Green parks Finnart occasionally play on) in the league but wouldn’t say it’s a outstanding by any stretch.

Grass parks at Dalziel (I suppose it goes without saying, though rarely played on) are better, would say Giffnock’s is certainly up there, as are the Science Parks at GU. Milton’s grass park isn’t too bad either. Wouldn’t say Stepps is much better, if at all better, than any of those I’ve mentioned.

Glasgow Harp put a list on their Twitter of who they’ve signed so far. 90% of them playing with Cambria’s Caley team from last season.
Presumably meaning a lot of existing Glasgow Harp players will be out the door.
Don’t agree that Stepps is all it’s made out to be either, it looks good and all the rest of it but isn’t great when actually playing on it. Aye, it’s probably better than most of the grass parks (ie Wishaw, Dumbarton Accies, Thorn, probably Glasgow Harp, and the Glasgow Green parks Finnart occasionally play on) in the league but wouldn’t say it’s a outstanding by any stretch.

Grass parks at Dalziel (I suppose it goes without saying, though rarely played on) are better, would say Giffnock’s is certainly up there, as are the Science Parks at GU. Milton’s grass park isn’t too bad either. Wouldn’t say Stepps is much better, if at all better, than any of those I’ve mentioned.

Giffnocks not even close to Cambria's. Miltons, youre having a laugh. Parks are quality, end of.

3 hours ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

Giffnocks not even close to Cambria's. Miltons, youre having a laugh. Parks are quality, end of.

Agreed. I played on they parks plenty of times when at Cambria and when playing against strathy uni. They are as good to play on as they are pleasing on the eye. Superb parks. 

18 hours ago, Boab17 said:

First preseason match for Viewfield v Strathaven Dynamo 2pm ko Viewfield Park. Lochwinnoch

Very tough preseason game against Strathaven Dynamo who look a very decent outfit. They were slightly fitter than us but a 4-3 win we will take.  18 boys used today and still to return.

Viewfield Rovers (CAFL) V Broomloans (AAFL)

Saturday 2pm KO Viewfield Park,

Viewfield welcome Broomloans to Viewfield park for their 2nd preseason game. After last weeks victory tomorrow will be a completely different challenge, Having come up against Broomloans many a time in Ayrshire we know we are in for a battle as well as a game. Strong physical side that let you know they are there. Looking forward to see how some new additions cope we have a few missing due to holidays so it gives others much needed game time.

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone shaping up now? Could we amend the thread title to include all Caledonian chat?

Any teams to look out for this season? I heard Dumbarton Accies had lost a few players any truth in that??

Expect Giffnock to kick on again this season as well and push at the top of the league.

Edited by Crazy Feet