Caledonian AFL All Chat

Boab17

How will the promoted teams fair in the premier division next season. Milngavie, Eaglesham, East Kilbride and St Mungo's. Will the aim be to avoid relegation?
Will 1st and 2nd from the last 2 seasons Thorn and Dumbarton run away with it again?

There is next to no chance that EKYM will be ‘aiming to avoid relegation’. They’ve just won the league with a 100% record, won a cup and were runners up in another. They were beaten in the Scottish after a replay by Colville Park and in the West by Cambria after extra time. They won’t be far away from winning the premier.

Division 1 will be tough and, I predict, physically demanding. The teams that everyone is quoting to win are teams that believe they should be premier teams so will make changes this summer. It’s too difficult to predict until we see what those changes are.

14 hours ago, josecc said:

How will the promoted teams fair in the premier division next season. Milngavie, Eaglesham, East Kilbride and St Mungo's. Will the aim be to avoid relegation?
Will 1st and 2nd from the last 2 seasons Thorn and Dumbarton run away with it again?

EKYM and Milngavie will do well. Two good young teams. EKYM could push for top 3 possibly and Milngavie about mid table. All depends on what recruitment both clubs have this summer as well and whether they hold on to their better players.

St Mungo are a decent team as well and could surprise a few. I'd expect Eaglesham to really struggle unless they managed to get a number of players in they are an older side at the end of the road imo.

Dumbarton and Thorn clear favorites for the title.

10 hours ago, LoveFitbaw said:

Apparently the league cup for teams in the 1st divisions has been scrapped. This was played over the last 6 weeks(roughly) of the season. Also another league cup that usually starts the season as a cup section has been changed to straight knockout. This is what I was told but could be different. 

You are correct.

Also, the ''changes'' were voted through in an EGM during the season. The clubs voted for it and nothing was forced upon anyone.

Touched a raw nerve there Amateur Footie fan.....
And I did look @ Rothesay last listed fixture and its was the 13th of April but that was 16 game season [ I do understand that the games were more likely spread out over the season ] ….this Division is a 28 games season and I am sure you can work out that based on last seasons you have not got enough Saturdays left
ps
And here I was thinking private messaging was exactly that..... 
pps
I have not a problem with the Cally set up good luck to them [ it was the change of the promotion / relegation mid season  ] 

A raw nerve [emoji2] I jist find it funny thaf a guy from anither League Comitee SAFL goes on slaughterinv other legues. Everyone in the Calie league are happy and vited through league changes but you arent hapoy. Jealousy is a bad thing.

Touched a raw nerve there Amateur Footie fan.....
And I did look @ Rothesay last listed fixture and its was the 13th of April but that was 16 game season [ I do understand that the games were more likely spread out over the season ] ….this Division is a 28 games season and I am sure you can work out that based on last seasons you have not got enough Saturdays left
ps
And here I was thinking private messaging was exactly that..... 
pps
I have not a problem with the Cally set up good luck to them [ it was the change of the promotion / relegation mid season  ] 

There was no change of relegation mid season Robert, 2 still went down and 2 still came up from both divisions, the only change was no play offs, so that the premier division could increase to 14 teams

On 30/05/2019 at 08:52, Crazy Feet said:

EKYM and Milngavie will do well. Two good young teams. EKYM could push for top 3 possibly and Milngavie about mid table. All depends on what recruitment both clubs have this summer as well and whether they hold on to their better players.

St Mungo are a decent team as well and could surprise a few. I'd expect Eaglesham to really struggle unless they managed to get a number of players in they are an older side at the end of the road imo.

Dumbarton and Thorn clear favorites for the title.

Next season I'd imagine Giffnock will come back stronger with the joining up of them and Southside. Cambria have had a chance to settle in to the Premier this year and will be dissapointed considering how good a team they have and I'd expect them to come back stronger next year.  The current crop of Glasgow Uni players are as good a team as they have had in years as well.  Wishaw Wycombe are another team who I feel after the first year in the Prem will improve next season.  Obvious favourites Thorn and Dumbarton but not a lot between these two and the others mentioned.

I get what you're saying about Eaglesham but they are a well organised side and are always tough to beat down at their park.  Should be a good competitive league with a number of teams capable of winning the title.

3 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Nobody really talking about Dunblane either. They are a very good young team who are only going to get better with more experience at amateur level.

Crazy Feet we have beat and been beaten by Westerlands, Dunblane etc nobody looks at what may have been the cause of these defeats by either team, its quite simple this is going to be a very competitive league with every team looking to strengthen and improve on last years league standings. I get that folk look at the relegated teams from the premier as favourites to go back up and that will possibly be the case, however they have been relegated for a reason and that's the fact last year they simply weren't good enough for the Premier and im sure they will be determined to prove people wrong.

If you looked at results from both 1st divisions last year (exception of EKYM) there were a lot of points dropped for the so called top teams against teams they believed should not be able to compete with them. These teams perhaps are only shy of 3 players to turn them into contenders. Take us for instance we played a full season without a recognised goal keeper relying on a 52 year old to fill in after our keeper dislocated his shoulder, there are many other teams that have suffered losses at crucial times of the season and they will be determined to turn it around. Our goal for instance is to improve on our league standing this year and find some consistency. There is a lot of travelling this year and that could be a major factor especially when there are bound to be a good few midweek games with the league being increased.

We at Viewfield are certainly looking forward to it and coming up against some new faces you cant beat it.

On 07/06/2019 at 19:16, Area 51 said:

Cambria might struggle for a season, with Mick going to Glasgow Harp and taking players with him.

What players are going with him? Who's taking over at Cambria? I thought Glasgow Harp just got a new manager in mid way through last season and had improved a bit towards the end.

1 hour ago, ekfootball said:

What players are going with him? Who's taking over at Cambria? I thought Glasgow Harp just got a new manager in mid way through last season and had improved a bit towards the end.

All the best players.

Could be a struggle for Cambria next season as they will probably need to promote a lot of their 2nd team into the 1st. team

3 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

All the best players.

Could be a struggle for Cambria next season as they will probably need to promote a lot of their 2nd team into the 1st. team

Can I just ask what is the point in moving to another Caley premier team who play on a worse park to just take pretty much the same team you'd of had at Cambria?(basically taking your best players and adding in new signings you might of made anyway) Would be interesting to hear the thoughts on this one. Unless he had a fall out with the committee.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2019 at 15:59, ekfootball said:

Can I just ask what is the point in moving to another Caley premier team who play on a worse park to just take pretty much the same team you'd of had at Cambria?(basically taking your best players and adding in new signings you might of made anyway) Would be interesting to hear the thoughts on this one. Unless he had a fall out with the committee.

That's a question only the manager could answer I think.

Traditionally Glasgow Harp are a much bigger club than Cambria and they have a nice setup with social club and committee etc behind the,. Maybe just felt it was time for a new challenge.

They have touching 30 bodies at preseason going by their twitter account. I would expect Harp to be up the top end of the league this season definitely.