Celtic in Europe 2019-20

The OP

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Why was the new French boy not playing, thougfh it would be ideal for him to get game timne under hisa belt?

anyway, off to Georgia tonight at 23:45 and then back to Glasgow for 01:45, heavy going for us ex pats on Euro nights, keep up the good work.

Must admit I'm a bit bemused as to why he didn't play at all. Surely he will start in the second leg though. 

4 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Though we laboured things in the 1st 25-30 minutes until the goal. Not convinced by Bolingoli .

only 5 more qualifying games to go :lol:

Nae, I tghinkl it took that long as you say to get a see what they were up to. Complete unknown for all the players.I

I do agree with Bolingoli, gives the ball away to often, however has time to get used to it before the big one against St Johnstone, (they may  have bought the best strike force in Scottish league history}

22 minutes ago, The OP said:

Bolingoli was apparently ill last night and played better against Sarajevo who were a better team so I won't draw any conclusions from his poor performance. 

From the little I have seen of him he doesn't look a terribly comfortable footballer. More of a typical modern day full back where he is more of an athlete. You could argue Didier Agathe was much the same though and he was great.

Edited by gannonball

12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

It'she UCL holders have qualified for the group stage since 2006-07, do keep up.

Since the change to add a champions path in 2009-10, 17 or 18 champions have qualified to the group stage (plus one or two title holders in the last few years, if you count them as champions). That reduced to 15 last season with the changes to allow the top four leagues to have four places in the group stage.

Still better than the first decade of the century when only 10 champions automatically qualified and the rest had to compete with non-champions, so generally you had 14 or 15 champions qualify.

Anyway, for the sake of the coefficient let's hope Celtic don't take their foot off the gas and can go out and get another win next week.

I don't think your getting what I meant from the part you quoted. Obviously every team that won the champions league went straight into he group stages but they are all from the top European leagues with high coefficient. You comment |"The UCL holders have qualified for the group stage since 2006-07, do keep up." OMG, every team in that time is from either Spain, Italy, England or Germany so obviously any team from those countries are going to go straight into the group stages.
Oh and 2003/04 Porto won it and they are outside the big 4 but they still have a team straight to the group stages due to the country high rankings. 1985.86 is the last team outside the top 15 countries to win the European cup and that was the Romanian team Steaua Bucharest and Romania current coefficient ranking is 32.  If they equaled that feat today there's still no rule that I can see to say they would go straight to group stages . 

The reason I say Celtic as its relating to a country that is under the 15th place for a group stage inclusion and as I don't remember any team from a country lower than the bigger ones winning the European champions league I don't see any fast rule from UEFA that says ALL winners of the European champions league will receive automatic bye into the group stages no matter how well their country listing is doing.

I'm not just meaning Celtic either, I'm meaning other countries  that are under the 15th place of the listing.

The original point, yes I agree with the poster the champions league helps and is easier for the top leagues but I don't see any better way as every league winner is included, obviously weaker teams n leagues are playing earlier.It's something in Scotland we have to deal with and just try and win every game and get our listings higher.

p.s.  anyone ever watch the European Youth champions league, sometimes there are weaker teams getting through, check out how they work it out.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm meaning other countries  that are under the 15th place of the listing.

It's only the first 11 countries that go into the group stages and only 6 from the qualifiers.
4 from the champions route and 2 from the non-champions.
You could say 4 champions from 40 countries gets to the group stage.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's only the first 11 countries that go into the group stages and only 6 from the qualifiers.
4 from the champions route and 2 from the non-champions.
You could say 4 champions from 40 countries gets to the group stage.

lol, that's even worse 😞

Think 15 is to get an extra team in the European champions league, is that right ?

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:
12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I don't think your getting what I meant from the part you quoted. Obviously every team that won the champions league went straight into he group stages but they are all from the top European leagues with high coefficient. You comment |"The UCL holders have qualified for the group stage since 2006-07, do keep up." OMG, every team in that time is from either Spain, Italy, England and Germany so obviously any team from those countries are going to go straight into the group stages. 

The reason I say Celtic as its relating to a country that is under the 15th place for a group stage inclusion and as I don't remember any team from a country lower than the bigger ones winning the European champions league I don't see any fast rule from UEFA that says ALL winners of the European champions league will receive automatic bye into the group stages no matter how well their country listing is doing.

Maybe I should have said there has been a space reserved in the group stage for the title holders since 2006-07 (and since last year for the UEL holders). Not always been taken up as most holders qualify via their league placing.

Chelsea are the most recent example of using the title holder's spot, they finished 6th in the Premier League but qualified at the expense of Tottenham.

The rules are https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/60/37/12/2603712_DOWNLOAD.pdf

3.0 3The UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titleholders are guaranteed a place in the group stage even if they do not qualify for the competition through their domestic championships. If the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League title holder qualifies for the UEFA Europa League through one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which its association is entitled in the UEFA Europa League is decreased by one.

9 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Maybe I should have said there has been a space reserved in the group stage for the title holders since 2006-07 (and since last year for the UEL holders). Not always been taken up as most holders qualify via their league placing.

Chelsea are the most recent example of using the title holder's spot, they finished 6th in the Premier League but qualified at the expense of Tottenham.

The rules are https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/60/37/12/2603712_DOWNLOAD.pdf

3.0 3The UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titleholders are guaranteed a place in the group stage even if they do not qualify for the competition through their domestic championships. If the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League title holder qualifies for the UEFA Europa League through one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which its association is entitled in the UEFA Europa League is decreased by one.

Brilliant Ginaro, thanks for that
So glad you listed that as I feel a lot better that we wouldn't get shafted as a country and not get a place in the group stages.

The situation stands as a country, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and the rest when in Europe need to win as many games as possible and to improve our rankings for the following seasons inclusions. Celtic have done great and Rangers did well last year but we need to continue or even better to get a higher rank.  As the previous posted says, its easier for the bigger teams and countries.  but it isn't a closed shop, we just need to do better.

Good performance last night although Kalju were terrible, comfortably worse than Sarajevo. Great to see Griffiths back scoring and it was a belter as well. He got the sympathy vote MOTM although Christie was by far the best player on the pitch.

Unsure why Jullien didn't even get on for the last 20 minutes when the game was dead. Hopefully we will see him next week and there's no early goals conceded to cause a fright which would be typical Celtic in Europe.

Hopefully Lennon uses 2 up front domestically this year, at home especially.

I've learned my lesson not to sign up to Premier Sports on the assumption they'll at least have the first two away games. Think BT had Athens last year although they only get the playoff round automatically so it's up in the air who will have Cluj or Maccabi Tel Aviv away.

Don't even know if I can be arsed trying to watch the game by illegal means when we're 5-0 up, might just stick it on the radio in the background. 

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

I've learned my lesson not to sign up to Premier Sports on the assumption they'll at least have the first two away games. Think BT had Athens last year although they only get the playoff round automatically so it's up in the air who will have Cluj or Maccabi Tel Aviv away.

Don't even know if I can be arsed trying to watch the game by illegal means when we're 5-0 up, might just stick it on the radio in the background. 

Did  you see any of the cluj v tel aviv game first leg?

12 minutes ago, The OP said:

Nah didn't catch any of it, was it not on at the same time as our game? 

Started an hour before,cluj played on the counter let tel aviv play.

Cluj number 9 looks a player they get the ball forward quick style more direct football.

Tel aviv are very tidy comfortable on the ball until they get to the last 3rd no cutting edge.

24 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Started an hour before,cluj played on the counter let tel aviv play.

Cluj number 9 looks a player they get the ball forward quick style more direct football.

Tel aviv are very tidy comfortable on the ball until they get to the last 3rd no cutting edge.

Cluj sound like a better Sarajevo and Tel Aviv a bit like Be'er Sheva. 

24 minutes ago, The OP said:

Cluj sound like a better Sarajevo and Tel Aviv a bit like Be'er Sheva. 

Maybe a better game to watch tonight.

The away leg will be tough, much better than this mob tonight.

Celtic's high press could catch tel aviv not sure about cluj look more solid at the back.