Celtic in Europe 2019-20

The OP

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Cluj have very recent and limited domestic success. Poor European pedigree.

Tel Aviv have a rich domestic history. Poor European pedigree.

A great draw for Wee Lennon.

Haven't seen Tel Aviv this season but watched a bit of the Cluj game against Astana knew they would beat Astana at home made some dosh on it.
For me if any team beats a seeded team like Cluj and the Hungarians it's a tough draw. 

Maccabi have actually been pretty decent in Europe recently, especially qualifying rounds. They made it to the CL group stage a few years ago and have made the Europa groups 4 times in the last 7 or 8 years, even making the Round of 32 once.

Cluj obviously made several groups in the CL and the EL but that has dried up recently with them pretty much being a qualifying rounds team now. They were papped out of the Europa by Luxembourg side Dudelange last year, but the Astana win is a good win though. Neither of these 2 sides will be pushovers for Celtic but it’s also a decent draw when you look at some of the other teams.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Haven't seen Tel Aviv this season but watched a bit of the Cluj game against Astana knew they would beat Astana at home made some dosh on it.
For me if any team beats a seeded team like Cluj and the Hungarians it's a tough draw. 

With the squad you have and the money Wee Lennon has spent to improve it you will easily defeat either.

Probably as favourable as it could have been for Celtic. They are huge favourites against the Estonians and will be heavy favourites in the following round.

After that it will be touch and go.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What’s their options for the 4th round ??

Not 100% on this but what I read earlier is that it would likely be YB, BATE, APOEL or Slavia Prague. BATE and APOEL need to win their qualifiers to get there, the other 2 start in the play off round. Celtic would certainly start as favourites against 3 of the 4 but I wouldn't think the ties would be a shoe in, all potentially very difficult opponents, YB especially so.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Not 100% on this but what I read earlier is that it would likely be YB, BATE, APOEL or Slavia Prague. BATE and APOEL need to win their qualifiers to get there, the other 2 start in the play off round. Celtic would certainly start as favourites against 3 of the 4 but I wouldn't think the ties would be a shoe in, all potentially very difficult opponents, YB especially so.

Cheers mate. You would expect Celtic to beat any of these teams, especially given the improvements Wee Lennon has been allowed to make to the squad, but I expected them to beat AEK last season so you can never be sure.

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Cheers mate. You would expect Celtic to beat any of these teams, especially given the improvements Wee Lennon has been allowed to make to the squad, but I expected them to beat AEK last season so you can never be sure.

Celtic should be confident against them all, for sure, but they are definitely potential banana skins given all have reasonable European experience.

Afraid I am not making this one tonight as up in Orkney, even more of a pisser since its not on the tele. Can also see it being only 2/3rds full with the c***s charging nearly 25 pound for a game against an Estonian team ffs.

Anyway shame Johnston's still out. Hopefully Julien starts and Lennon may find it an acceptable time to try 3-5-2.

Edited by gannonball

27 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I'll double up on my sectarian singing so your absence won't be noticed.

Reckon we'll be lucky to half fill the place. 

No Provo No Party

I dont think the board are too worried about this tie hence the pricing. There is so many on the HCTS now that they can charge more and not care about attendance.

Edited by gannonball

29 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I'll double up on my sectarian singing so your absence won't be noticed.

Reckon we'll be lucky to half fill the place. 

Do they have any black men playing for them? You may wish to take that into consideration before blowing all your guff on sectarianism.