Celtic in Europe 2019-20

The OP

Would rather see scuddings from PSG and cash in the bank than see your team win its national championship. I am reminded of the end of the 2010 League Cup Final. I exited Hampden as fast as possible. On the streets, while the deadco players were still celebrating on the pitch, thousands of Disabled Tramplers were heading away from Hampden, not even arsed to see their ‘9 man heroes’ lift a national trophy, won in dramatic circumstances. It means that little to OF fans. If I ever get to the stage where I want anything for my team in lieu of the joy of seeing them lift a cup again, then it’s time to chuck it.

Magical nights at Celtic Park in the CL are something special, especially on the rare occasion we get a big scalp.

Yes undoubtedly there a good few scuddings along the way. I enjoy seeing my club up against the glitterati, pitting our wits against the top players.
Bragging rights don’t really cut it for me.
Sorry to disappoint.

1 minute ago, Greenlantern said:

Magical nights at Celtic Park in the CL are something special, especially on the rare occasion we get a big scalp.

Yes undoubtedly there a good few scuddings along the way. I enjoy seeing my club up against the glitterati, pitting our wits against the top players.
Sorry to disappoint.

You are effectively conceding title wins to the Sevco, correct? Which means that it would be the Sevco who played in the following season’s Champions League, not your team, yet you’d happily take that, if the trade off was three group stages in a row.

You would trade any chance of being in the group stages, for group stages.

Fcuk me mate, you’ve got me beat.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Would rather see scuddings from PSG and cash in the bank than see your team win its national championship. I am reminded of the end of the 2010 League Cup Final. I exited Hampden as fast as possible. On the streets, while the deadco players were still celebrating on the pitch, thousands of Disabled Tramplers were heading away from Hampden, not even arsed to see their ‘9 man heroes’ lift a national trophy, won in dramatic circumstances. It means that little to OF fans. If I ever get to the stage where I want anything for my team in lieu of the joy of seeing them lift a cup again, then it’s time to chuck it.

It's because they think it makes them a genuine Big Club. If they're being mentioned in the same breath as Paris St. Germain, even on the wrong end of a 5 or 6 goal rogering it puts them in the same 'league' as Paris St. Germain...except it doesn't of course.

The real big clubs from the big five leagues are now financially as far ahead of Celtic as Celtic are ahead of the 40 other SPFL teams.

I hope those Brand Name Clubs eventually get their closed shop Superleague if just to watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Entitled Hordes as they bang their heads against an impenetrable  glass ceiling.

You are effectively conceding title wins to the Sevco, correct? Which means that it would be the Sevco who played in the following season’s Champions League, not your team, yet you’d happily take that, if the trade off was three group stages in a row.
You would trade any chance of being in the group stages, for group stages.
Fcuk me mate, you’ve got me beat.

Not really. I’m not conceding anything. There’s seems more emphasis on this ‘in a row’ tiddlywinks game with a club who’s sole purpose is to drive themselves to the brink of bankruptcy for bragging rights over their rivals.

We get the European thing right, the rest will follow.

We did once have a Celtic team many moons ago that were considered a very difficult away tie in Europe. I’d like those days back.

2 hours ago, The Chief said:

I wouldn't expect you to understand. You do not have a rivalry like we have with the dead club(and their zombie reincarnation) and your team has no chance of ever rewriting the history books. Winning 10 in a row has never been done before in this country and it is a huge fucking deal to Celtic fans. Trivialise it or make it about self entitlement if you want. But make no mistake, it matters. 

“It is  a huge f*ck*ng deal to Celtic fans” not because it hasn’t been done before, it’s only because Rangers  haven’t done it before.

“It is  a huge f*ck*ng deal to Celtic fans” not because it hasn’t been done before, it’s only because Rangers  haven’t done it before.

This is a good point, so eloquently put.

I don’t measure success on what has, or hasn’t been done by Rangers previously.

1 hour ago, Greenlantern said:

Not really. I’m not conceding anything. There’s seems more emphasis on this ‘in a row’ tiddlywinks game with a club who’s sole purpose is to drive themselves to the brink of bankruptcy for bragging rights over their rivals.

We get the European thing right, the rest will follow.

We did once have a Celtic team many moons ago that were considered a very difficult away tie in Europe. I’d like those days back.

I know this is pure hypothesis, but if you said you’d rather have three CL group stages in a row than 9 or 10 titles IAR, then if you got your wish, and didn’t have the titles, pretty safe to say the Sevco would win them, hence you are indeed happy to concede titles to your rival, well, up until 2012 anyway. I simply don’t get the attitude that says you’d rather have group games than titles. If I were a Celtic fan (just came over all cold and clammy there), then my wish would be for 10, 20, 30 titles IAR, which surely would give you pleasure in winning the title in the first place, and then, with any luck (and avoidance of Lennon inspired shitebaggery against middling Romanians), you’d get a fair few group stage games.

Anyway, just a bit of talk, along the lines of ‘if I won the lottery, would I....’

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Gary from Dundee has been a Celtic fan his whole life, in 25 years he’s attended over 7 games to watch the famous green and white.

He has already drafted a “LAWELL OUT” Banner should the unthinkable happen and someone else win a trophy.

He's from Lochee.

Dont ever call Lochee "Dundee" again, comprende? 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Finally got round to watching the Celtic TV highlights there.

High points for me were “I want to be Edouard” and the disco lights.

Imagine that was your job though, working the disco lights.

The disco lights probably do look decent if you're actually in the ground but looked shite on the highlights.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

The disco lights probably do look decent if you're actually in the ground but looked shite on the highlights.

I used to think that too. I think I posted on here defending the disco lights at one time. Then I saw them in action at the Pro14 final in May.

I was really surprised at how much worse they are in real life than on the telly, and I don't think they look much on the telly. Because they're just white (with the occasional, ineffective sickly green spot) and they're individuals floodlights not spaced evenly or in a continuous loop, it has much the same effect as being in your gran's kitchen when her fluorescent tube was on the blink.

Murrayfield does a better light show just by turning off the floodlights, because their stadium lights are purple and green and in a continuous pattern.

14 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

In honesty, I would rather Celtic reach the group stages of the Champions League 3 times in a row than secure 9/10 in a row.

Fair enough. Each to their own. You would certainly be in the minority amongst Celtic fans I know in that case. I even had one Tim tell me they'd rather do 10IAR than win the Champions League. Have to say I thought that was rather ridiculous but there ye go.

Edited by The Chief

The only folk that would get annoyed by Celtic winning 10 in a row would be Rangersy* folk and to be honest, thats the only reason Celtic fans bleat on about this. Nobody else in Scottish football cares about it, nobody else outside Scottish football cares about it.

If/when it does happen, Celtic will join the long list of European powerhouses who have achieved this.  See below:

14 Lincoln (Gibraltar) 2002/03–2015/16
14 Skonto (Latvia) 1991–2004
13 BATE Borisov (Belarus) 2006–
13 Rosenborg (Norway) 1992–2004
11 Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) 2005/06–2015/16
10 Dinamo Tbilisi (Georgia) 1990–1999
10 Dynamo Berlin (East Germany) 1978/79–1987/88
10 MTK Budapest (Hungary) 1914, 1917–1925
10 Pyunik (Armenia) 2001–2010
10 Sheriff (Moldova) 2001–2010

Mouthwatering, Im sure you'll agree. 

13 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

Sorry to disappoint.

Personally I have no idea what bragging rights mean,there is no team in Scotland will equal what Celtic have done in the last 3 years.
The white knuckle roller coaster ride of Tuesday night will live in the memory until the next one.
The 3 each with inter and Man city plus the beer sheva game are all up there with the one on Tuesday, just incredible moments.
There is a lot of Celtic fans just want to forget about Europe this season maybe because of the Thursday Sunday thing.
For me I want European football up until the end of the year.

I know this is pure hypothesis, but if you said you’d rather have three CL group stages in a row than 9 or 10 titles IAR, then if you got your wish, and didn’t have the titles, pretty safe to say the Sevco would win them, hence you are indeed happy to concede titles to your rival, well, up until 2012 anyway. I simply don’t get the attitude that says you’d rather have group games than titles. If I were a Celtic fan (just came over all cold and clammy there), then my wish would be for 10, 20, 30 titles IAR, which surely would give you pleasure in winning the title in the first place, and then, with any luck (and avoidance of Lennon inspired shitebaggery against middling Romanians), you’d get a fair few group stage games.
Anyway, just a bit of talk, along the lines of ‘if I won the lottery, would I....’

You’re right, it’s purely hypothetical. I’m well aware you can’t have one without the other.

I suppose my point being, if you set your targets to merely pip Rangers to the post each season and rack up the ‘in a rows’ for me that’s not success.

I’d be encouraged by setting an objective of building a squad of players that can comfortably hold their own in Europe, regularly reaching the group stages and going toe-to-toe with the powerhouses.

It’s almost like what the fans of every other club said about Lennon being a shite manager, and Bain a horrendous goalkeeper, was accurate and not just ‘bitter diddies’...

I remember that anorak moron craigkillie trying to paint Dundee fans as bitter for stating the simple fact that Bain was shite. Almost as if moving to Celtic doesn’t auotmatically good.