Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I just watched the highlights. The difference in class was unreal. McGregor stopped it from being an absolute hounding.

The likes of Goldson, Lundstrom, Kamara, Tav are miles out their depth at this level.

I think the whole Rangers squad is.

5 hours ago, Comrie said:

Brother is raging on Facebook tonight with the penalties but they both look fairly stonewall to me? Sands nowhere near the ball and a clear handball for the second?

They simply aren't used to being refereed to the same degree as the opposition. Combine that with a bizarre sense of entitlement and the dawning knowledge that they're finishing bottom of the CL group with a probable 0 points and a GD of at least -15, they just canny take it. 

I thought we looked okay for parts of the game but you always felt that Napoli had a gear or two to go up. While we were lacking any great spark, it wasn’t the abject and effortless display we saw against Ajax. The sending off killed us and as soon as they smelled blood they stepped it up and played more to their potential.

An early chance for Morelos and one for Arfield at the start of the second half but other than that we struggled to create anything really. It’ll be interesting to see if we play with the back 3/5 more often going forward.

Zielinski and their big number 77 who’s name I’m not even going to attempt looked particularly good and Anguissa seemed to glide around midfield mopping everything up.

Tough lesson and a clear indicator that we need absolutely everything to go for us in order to have a chance of picking up any points in this group which I am doubtful of.

On a slight positive it’s easy to see how much better we are at getting our team up the park when Morelos is on the field instead of Colak. I’m hoping a run of games with him in the side will give us a bit more going forward and heaven forbid we actually score a goal. It seems like a lifetime ago since we last found the back of the net.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4013908/amp/Dinamo-Zagreb-worst-Champions-League-team-ever.html

Taking into account, Zagreb conceded 15 goals in 6 games (average 2.5 per game) and Rangers are currently 7 after 2 games (average 3.5 per game) with a double header vs Liverpool, a game vs Ajax and trip to Naples to come I really think the record should be in GVB’s sights. He’s definitely got the coaching , motivational and transfer market skills to achieve this.

Better performance for an hour, but then a self inflicted injury and it was always going to be another hard night.  Up til the sending off I thought we were matching them pretty well.  That red has been coming for a while.  Sands is a decent, young player, but he's not a CB.  He forever looks like he's on the verge of being booked.

No arguments with the penalty awards, although I'm still not sure what the retake was given for.  McGregor almost got the 3rd one as well.

f**k knows what has happened to the real Glen Kamara but I'd very much like it if someone could return him please.  Two fucking soft goals conceded from piss poor play from him.

I suppose when you sell your best defender, one of your best midfielders and replace them with "projects" that you can't trust to play in big games then you're fighting an uphill battle from the start.

I can genuinely see us getting nil points from this group now.  A goal or two would be nice.

Central defence is the issue, Sands is basically what we used to call a utility player and not really a defender so I can't really blame him too much. Still a bit raw and prone to the odd rash decision,  if he doesn't make that tackle then we may have been a goal down but with 11 men on the park.

With 3 defenders Injured/lacking fitness we don't have much choice and letting Balogun go was a poor decision.  Goldson really needs an experienced player besides him.

Chasing the game with 10 men was always going to leave us open and the two sets of subs made it worse, Kamara had one of those games where he looked lightweight and lost.

The ref with VAR help got most decisions right, no complaints. 

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

Central defence is the issue, Sands is basically what we used to call a utility player and not really a defender so I can't really blame him too much. Still a bit raw and prone to the odd rash decision,  if he doesn't make that tackle then we may have been a goal down but with 11 men on the park.

With 3 defenders Injured/lacking fitness we don't have much choice and letting Balogun go was a poor decision.  Goldson really needs an experienced player besides him.

Chasing the game with 10 men was always going to leave us open and the two sets of subs made it worse, Kamara had one of those games where he looked lightweight and lost.

The ref with VAR help got most decisions right, no complaints. 

Who’d have predicted that Souttar would have spent most of him time injured eh !! 🤔 

45 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Better performance for an hour, but then a self inflicted injury and it was always going to be another hard night.  Up til the sending off I thought we were matching them pretty well.  That red has been coming for a while.  Sands is a decent, young player, but he's not a CB.  He forever looks like he's on the verge of being booked.

No arguments with the penalty awards, although I'm still not sure what the retake was given for.  McGregor almost got the 3rd one as well.

f**k knows what has happened to the real Glen Kamara but I'd very much like it if someone could return him please.  Two fucking soft goals conceded from piss poor play from him.

I suppose when you sell your best defender, one of your best midfielders and replace them with "projects" that you can't trust to play in big games then you're fighting an uphill battle from the start.

I can genuinely see us getting nil points from this group now.  A goal or two would be nice.

The retake was given for encroachment by the goalkeeper I believe. 

The moment it was being reviewed I said “they’re going to cheer when the ref makes the VAR motion thinking the goal is chopped off and it’s their ball then boo like f**k when it’s a retake.”

45 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

No arguments with the penalty awards, although I'm still not sure what the retake was given for..

The player who scored the rebound was inside the box when the taker struck the ball.

If an attacker encroaches then play should restart with an indirect free kick to the defending team; a retake should only be awarded for a defender encroaching. 

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The player who scored the rebound was inside the box when the taker struck the ball.

If an attacker encroaches then play should restart with an indirect free kick to the defending team; a retake should only be awarded for a defender encroaching. 

There was encroachment from both teams, which means a retake. 

This is all starting to feel like a pile on and I’m starting to feel uneasy about it so I’m going to step back from posting anything else. They’ve had enough. I’m sorry for your loss(es) Rangers. All of them. The many, many, many losses. The big, big, massive losses. The hard unbearable losses. Look after yourselves. Hugs.