Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

18 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Really?

I thought rangers started brilliantly and deserved their lead.

But in the second half, with Aribo off, Leipzig controlled the game. Wave after wave and eventually they scored.

At that point rangers couldn't get out their own half. The goal comes from a free kick just pay the half way line. You just don't see teams pumping the ball into the box from there in modern football (at that level, anyway). It was proper old-school desperation and it worked a treat.

But for me, that goal was very much against the run of play.

Rangers were superior for 75% of that game. Sensational energy, aggression and purpose which knocked RBL off balance right from the start. A super performance to add to the list in this competition's k.o. rounds.

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

And he rinsed the Newco for tens of thousands of pounds while he was on garden leave 

Total legend 

Hope the glesga Sevco get pumped in the final and the Spanish polis are now deep in practice for Whacking Day 

3DDEF407-0981-436C-976D-671A954B9964.gif

Rangers were superior for 75% of that game. Sensational energy, aggression and purpose which knocked RBL off balance right from the start. A super performance to add to the list in this competition's k.o. rounds.
I don't think they were that dominant.

They took their chances early on and rode the emotion at the start of the game perfectly. Rbl were caught in the headlights.

But it didn't last too long.

After that, rangers struggled to get out, and it became more backs to the wall (especially in the second half).

Rbl weren't good enough to create clear chances, and the ones they did they squandered. The save from McGregor epitomised that.

I'd say rangers deserved the win but weren't in control.

What a fucking night. A great performance and probably the best scenes and celebrations I’ve been involved in at Ibrox.

I do agree that we held on for parts in the second half. I thought we looked dead right before they scored and shortly after it but managed to settle a bit.

On to Seville now. Delighted I booked my flights and accommodation before the first leg.

Do the Rangers fans on here see a win in the final? I think the lack of a home tie is going to impede Rangers, but Frankfurt cant really be any great shakes going by league position relative to Dortmund and RBL... Ont he flipside, beating both Barca and West Ham in the last two rounds isnt to be sniffed at...

I’m full of the same nervous energy and fear I was before the Leipzig away leg. Finals are finals, they’re weird and form predictions generally don’t mean much. f**k knows.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

What a fucking night. A great performance and probably the best scenes and celebrations I’ve been involved in at Ibrox.

I do agree that we held on for parts in the second half. I thought we looked dead right before they scored and shortly after it but managed to settle a bit.

On to Seville now. Delighted I booked my flights and accommodation before the first leg.

For me there were two clear breaks in our plan, Jack going off with an injury/cautionary and Aribo. Jack gives so much to the shielding of the defence and breaks up so much play, him going off pushed us 10 yards backwards. Aribo might not have scored his chance, but he was an outlet and able to trap the ball with his back to goal a lot as an out ball. Sakala offered something over the top, but it wasn’t as great at reliving pressure.

Putting Balogun on, and therefore pushing Bassey out to a hybrid left wing/midfielder role helped, and f**k knows how he was battling three players at 92 minutes given the shift he put in. 

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Do the Rangers fans on here see a win in the final? I think the lack of a home tie is going to impede Rangers, but Frankfurt cant really be any great shakes going by league position relative to Dortmund and RBL... Ont he flipside, beating both Barca and West Ham in the last two rounds isnt to be sniffed at...

50 50 as it stands in my eyes . Think it’s just going to be two teams going at one other . Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s 3-2 . But could swing either way 

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think anyone underestimating Frankfurt does so at their peril.  No matter how clown shoes they may be at the moment, bad teams don't generally go to the Camp Nou and win 3-0.

Regarding the Final, the Ibrox atmosphere has propelled us past some fantastic teams and we'll definitely miss that, but I really hope that we don't do what we did in 2008 and try to defend our way to the cup like we had done all the way through the tournament.  I'm sure I read Walter saying one of his regrets was not going for it that day.  I hope Gio carries on doing what he's been doing and setting the team up to try and win the game rather than not lose it.

Edited by KnightswoodVanBear

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Will any of the strikers be back for the final? That could make a big difference.

Rangers also can't afford to be without the first choice back 5, Jack & Kent.

Roofe only just missed out last night, so I'd imagine he'll be wrapped in cotton wool till the 18th.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

For the majority of my adult life I’ve been fully in the ‘supporting anyone to beat the OF in Europe’ camp. But recently I’ve had a change of heart. Domestically, Rangers progressing this far is indeed a disaster for the rest of Scottish football as it simply widens the already massive gap. Internationally however it is a good thing, it raises the profile of the Scottish game and of course helps boost the coefficient. It’s a double edged sword. Do we continue hoping both the OF consistently fail in Europe just so they get less money or do we hope they boost the coefficient which potentially opens the door to the rest of us diddies? With the Conference League now a thing, we can hopefully watch other Scottish teams take a grip of that tournament and make a bit of money.

The way I see it is the system is already utterly fucked. Even during the years following Rangers demotion and both the OF were shite in Europe, our coefficient was crap, the gap was still to big for anyone to catch Celtic. If there is ever going to be any change in the domestic fortunes of Scottish clubs there would need to be some sort of rules put in place, like salary caps or something. It will never happen. That leaves us hoping some sugar daddy buys another Scottish club and basically buys domestic dominance like the OF have done. As I’ve said before I’m really surprised that nobody has done it yet. Competing with the OF requires very little investment compared to buying a club in the Barclays. It wouldn’t take much to get another club challenging the top two, and once you’ve won the league and entered the champions league you are already earning your money back. There’s such an easy gateway to the champions league/European football in Scotland yet folk continue to buy English clubs and spend fucking millions on nothing. Everton for example have spent £500 million and are on the verge of relegation. Now imagine if someone pumped £500 million into a Scottish top flight club. Guaranteed they are challenging for the title. They’d probably win it.

There’s two choices, hope the bigot brothers win in Europe, or hope they lose. Weigh up the pros and cons, and as a fan of a diddy club, make your personal decision. My choice is I hope they get horsed. If you’re for them or against them in Europe, it makes no difference to their performances and results anyway, so why not sit on the ‘fcuk them’ side of the argument as a default position? In my opinion, actively wanting the uglies to win is, like voting Conservative, something I choose not to do.

Ironically, in the final, I think it might be better if they actually win. Less chance of their cnuts disgracing themselves, trashing Seville, and if the hordes are in celebratory mood, any serious trouble might be down to the German bawbags in the Eintracht support.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

You need the balance right, though. He needs to be match sharp and fully fit.

Morelos definitely out?

Morelos is out till the start of next season after an operation.  Yeah, i'd imagine Roofe will get some game time between now and then to keep him as sharp as we can, but I doubt you'll see him play full games.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Saddened and disappointed by the number of ‘fair play’ and ‘good for Scottish football’ posts. 

Shame on all of you and a curse on all of your families. 

Thanks for the congratulatory DM, mate.  Your secret is safe with me. watp.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Saddened and disappointed by the number of ‘fair play’ and ‘good for Scottish football’ posts. 

Shame on all of you and a curse on all of your families. 

Harsh. The ‘fair play to them’ comments are understandable. A club with far less resources than their opponent, and three years younger than them, turns them over? Fair play.

Edited by pozbaird