Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Incredible achievement, not just tonight, Rangers have played so well throughout the tournament and fully deserve their place in the final. After a shaky start Lundstram has become a such an important player right across the park! Terrific shift by Big Shirley tonight also. Already well documented, but some change in fortune for the club since 2012.

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

There is some truth to what you say, but it's not just Rangers and Celtic who benefit from a measure of success in Europe. It helps the coefficient, which should mean more qualifying teams from Scotland in the European competitions. It's hardly Rangers or Celtic's fault if the other qualifying teams can't raise much of a gallop in Europe. For fans of other teams to always want Rangers or Celtic to lose is a bit sad and totally against their own clubs' interests. 

I’m just jaded with all modern football mate. I agree it wasn’t really Souness or Murray’s fault specifically, all of world football was headed that way anyway. If it wasn’t them in 86/88 it would have happened anyway cos we (fans) didn’t push back when we could/should have.

I’m just a miserable f**k dismayed at how successful this Thatcher/Murdoch version of the most social of pastimes has become.

39 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Go on then. Explain why two teams making circa £30million from the Champions League while the rest of us pick up the scraps from under the table is a good thing...

Besides the solidarity payments (£200k each?) and the added prestige for the league, how much easier will it be for Saint Mirren to compete with lower league English clubs for players, when we can say "you can choose to play against the Europa League Champions...or Northampton Town"?

ETA: This was this last year's: https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/spfl-clubs-set-uefa-cash-25805459

Edited by Mr. Smith

1 minute ago, Luddite said:

I’m just jaded with all modern football mate. I agree it wasn’t really Souness or Murray’s fault specifically, all of world football was headed that way anyway. If it wasn’t them in 86/88 it would have happened anyway cos we (fans) didn’t push back when we could/should have.

I’m just a miserable f**k dismayed at how successful this Thatcher/Murdoch version of the most social of pastimes has become.

Aye, know what you mean. I'm still beelin' over the rule changes that allowed more than one team from each country into the ludicrously mistitled "Champions League" while some actual national Champions don't get a look in. 

When Celtic and Rangers won their European trophies, in 67 and 72, they each played 9 matches.  So far, Rangers have played 16 European matches with the final to come.  It is now all about TV rights and cash. I'm not convinced that the changes have been universally positive. I think it's one reason why Rangers run has been remarkable, given the spending power of some of their opponents. 

Ah well, grumpy old gits like me need a kip now and then. Offski. Looking forward to the reaction tomorrow. 

Night all. 

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

There is some truth to what you say, but it's not just Rangers and Celtic who benefit from a measure of success in Europe. It helps the coefficient, which should mean more qualifying teams from Scotland in the European competitions. It's hardly Rangers or Celtic's fault if the other qualifying teams can't raise much of a gallop in Europe. For fans of other teams to always want Rangers or Celtic to lose is a bit sad and totally against their own clubs' interests. 

Helping the coefficient leads to better/easier ties for everyone else in Europe, which in turn also helps the coefficient.

Never understand why anyone wants any Scottish team to lose in Europe.

Domestically I’d be happy to launch both cheeks onto a bonfire.  In Europe I want all Scottish teams to win.

Even fucking Hearts 🤮

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The only positive to come out of tonight is that the English media will be spewing that a Scottish League side got to the final when their ‘the best league in the world” side didn’t.

The green seethe is also pretty special 

4 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

Besides the solidarity payments (£200k each?) and the added prestige for the league, how much easier will it be for Saint Mirren to compete with lower league English clubs for players, when we can say "you can choose to play against the Europa League Champions...or Northampton Town"?

ETA: This was this last year's: https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/spfl-clubs-set-uefa-cash-25805459

Oh mr smith, you poor thing 

Can't believe people are moaning because McCoist turned his back on the camera, if that was me and Hearts you wouldn't get a coherent word from me for the next 3 days never mind post match analysis.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Can't believe people are moaning because McCoist turned his back on the camera, if that was me and Hearts you wouldn't get a coherent word from me for the next 3 days never mind post match analysis.

Yep.

I remember he was up in the TV gantry in St Etienne 1998 (in his hilarious tartan suit !) as we wandered past to our seats. 
He was shouting and waving and obviously supporting Scotland  then as well - I dont really see the difference tbqhwy.

McCoist is also one of the most even handed and likeable pundits out there. 

Is it fair to say that if rangers win the final, this seasons EL will be germanys biggest crime since WW2? 

Should the just be consumed by the EU and made to apologise to Scotland before becoming a landfill site for Europe? 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is it fair to say that if rangers win the final, this seasons EL will be germanys biggest crime since WW2? 

Should the just be consumed by the EU and made to apologise to Scotland before becoming a landfill site for Europe? 

I heard if we win we get to keep Angela Merkel and put her in the trophy room 

Problem with McManaman and Alex Rae is that they show their bias not through supporting a team but by saying stupid shit that is objectively wrong. McCoist rarely does that.
For example Rae was saying it was scandalous that Goldson got booked for leading with his arm. it wasn't scandalous, the ref could have let it go as just a foul but a booking was also justifiable.
As for McManaman celebrating it is more cringeworthy shit because he played for Madrid and City are Liverpool's biggest rivals. Chris Sutton would never actively cheer for Rangers.

McManaman played for Man City, Liverpool and Real Madrid tbf.
I have no real problem with commentators celebrating and being a bit biased. I know it winds a lot of people up no end, but it’s all part of the fun. I do think McCoist and Rae etc take it much further than McManaman and Hoddle etc, but that’s ok.
Has always happened everywhere, and always will.