Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

I’m not sure the goal changes too much in respect of how we would set up at Ibrox either. At 0-0 I doubt we’d have risked going back and playing for extra time. We would’ve tried to stay organised and look to press on more than we did tonight which won’t really change in my opinion.

Just now, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It usually is tbf.. 

Do you really think Rangers played poor and didn't "hold their own"?

I thought they'd pump us by 3 before kick off.  

No. Wouldn't say you held your own. Yo barely laid a glove on them.

Defended superbly well but looks to be a tie too far.

No. Wouldn't say you held your own. Yo barely laid a glove on them.
Defended superbly well but looks to be a tie too far.
This, pretty much.

They should have won that far more comfortably than 1-0, only woeful finishing from, apparently, one of the hottest strikers in Europe gets you out at 1-0.

And conversely, Rangers were no threat at all. Which isn't a great surprise considering your best forward and your only real backup were both out.

1-0 is a very good result, all things considered, but I fancy them to win by a couple at Ibrox when you have to open up a bit.

As an aside, was impressed with big Shirley again tonight. Thought he was Rangers best player, seems to be getting better with more games. Good sign at 21.

3 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

This, pretty much.

They should have won that far more comfortably than 1-0, only woeful finishing from, apparently, one of the hottest strikers in Europe gets you out at 1-0.

And conversely, Rangers were no threat at all. Which isn't a great surprise considering your best forward and your only real backup were both out.

1-0 is a very good result, all things considered, but I fancy them to win by a couple at Ibrox when you have to open up a bit.

As an aside, was impressed with big Shirley again tonight. Thought he was Rangers best player, seems to be getting better with more games. Good sign at 21.

Still don't see it with Bassey domestically, but he was very good tonight.

Maybe just a guy who can defend when he's expected to do it all game. Mind wanders when he's doing little for most of the game.

I fully expect Tavernier will be given more freedom to get forward next week with players getting into the box more to give him something to hit.

I also feel set pieces could be useful for us. Goldson won two, maybe three headers in their box tonight so it seems like he can cause issues if we get the delivery right.

Our defending tonight was generally very good as well. I think they probably had 3 chances you’d consider good which wasn’t too bad given the amount of possession they had.

Get them on the back foot a bit more, get some balls into the box and see how we fare.

Good defensive performance tonight, but didn't do enough on the occasions we pressed forward.  

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and acknowledge a top class goal.

Definitely would have taken a 1-0 at the start of the game and getting them back to Ibrox. We're still very much in this tie. 

18 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Had to laugh at the TV cameras zooming in on a fat *** bint doing the dambusters. Hilarious that these mutants are allowed to get away with this. 

Get away with what?

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

As to the football, I have been a bit surprised at how well Rangers have done with Roofe up top in place of Morelos, having previously looked a bit clueless without Morelos up there.

No Roofe either might be a bridge too far though. In theory, Aribo should be able to do the central role. He is big enough and strong enough to look after the ball and no one takes a ball out the air better than he does, butits different doing it with your back to goal and a John Greig breathing down your neck.... 

FTFY

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Ryan Jack has been Rangers MOTM, by a country fucking mile. 

Second is Nkunku(?). 

I thought Jack was excellent tonight as well. Spoiled so much of RB’s play and always managed to get a foot in at the vital times when Red Bull we’re trying to play through the middle of Rangers defence. The only problem he had when he won the ball back was trying to find a man in blue that was going to be able to take the ball and hold on to it for more than 5 seconds. I thought Bassey did his best out on the wing trying to use his strength to hold on to the ball and then find the pass when Rangers got men up in support. 

Rangers did have a couple of chances on the break, but they were woefully executed. Kent could have shown more composure when faced up against the Leipzig right back, but apart from the shot/cross he flashed across the goal at the start of the second half, his final ball was poor. Wright looked like an absolute imposter while he was on, and Sakala was even worse. Morelos’ hold up play and his general ability to be a nuisance would have helped Rangers massively tonight, even Roofe would have done a better job, but with out that focal point up front they struggled keep possession of the ball for long enough and ultimately conceded the goal. I do still think they have a chance at Ibrox, but if it’s Wright or Sakala again it’s a slim one. 

9 hours ago, gaz5 said:

This, pretty much.

Despite having more of the ball, they didnt create much in the way of clear cut chances, you say they should have won it more comfortably but they only had 10 efforts while rangers had 7 (on target was 4-1 but until the goal i think it was 2-1 for shots on target) 

The possession count obviously massively in their favour, but for having twice the posession we had they barely done anything with it, 

I agree RB deserved the win, but not by a few goals as people are saying, 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I thought Jack was excellent tonight as well. Spoiled so much of RB’s play and always managed to get a foot in at the vital times when Red Bull we’re trying to play through the middle of Rangers defence. The only problem he had when he won the ball back was trying to find a man in blue that was going to be able to take the ball and hold on to it for more than 5 seconds. I thought Bassey did his best out on the wing trying to use his strength to hold on to the ball and then find the pass when Rangers got men up in support. 

Rangers did have a couple of chances on the break, but they were woefully executed. Kent could have shown more composure when faced up against the Leipzig right back, but apart from the shot/cross he flashed across the goal at the start of the second half, his final ball was poor. Wright looked like an absolute imposter while he was on, and Sakala was even worse. Morelos’ hold up play and his general ability to be a nuisance would have helped Rangers massively tonight, even Roofe would have done a better job, but with out that focal point up front they struggled keep possession of the ball for long enough and ultimately conceded the goal. I do still think they have a chance at Ibrox, but if it’s Wright or Sakala again it’s a slim one. 

Roofe and Ramsey reportedly back for the second leg so think we will have a bit more about us up to top for the return leg 

We will open up a bit more which could obviously leave us exposed at the back more than we were last night 

still in the tie though with it all to play for at a full Ibrox so can’t complain