Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Should the SFA just decide to give Rangers the champions league place each year regardless of who wins the league until the coefficient is stabilised? Once we have done our job then the SFA can open it back up to the rest of the teams on a trial basis and see how they get on?

Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts? 

32 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

Should the SFA just decide to give Rangers the champions league place each year regardless of who wins the league until the coefficient is stabilised? Once we have done our job then the SFA can open it back up to the rest of the teams on a trial basis and see how they get on?

LOL !

24 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

I think being in the Europa has an advantage of getting more coefficient points. I'd be surprised if Scotland picks up as many coefficient points when we have 1 team in the CL groups rather than 2 in the Europa.

I'd argue whoever plays in the Europa next season (depending on the draw) is likely going to gain more points than the team in the CL.

4 bonus point for CL qualification but if they are whipping boys then that might be all they get. Rangers have double the points Malmo have got this season, think about that.

I'd also argue Scotland at 9th is almost at the peak of where we can get. Rangers have done exceptionally well this season but Scotland are ranked 18th on this season alone (should likely improve on that though) which tells me it will take quite a bit more for Scotland to maintain 9th.

Also the creation of the Conference league has hindered us because countries like Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Norway all got good points from there where as last year they didn't.

Maybe stick Rangers in the Conference where they can get maximum points rather being a team Lewandoski licks his lips at the thought of 😉

19 hours ago, ahemps said:

I think being in the Europa has an advantage of getting more coefficient points. I'd be surprised if Scotland picks up as many coefficient points when we have 1 team in the CL groups rather than 2 in the Europa.

I'd argue whoever plays in the Europa next season (depending on the draw) is likely going to gain more points than the team in the CL.

4 bonus point for CL qualification but if they are whipping boys then that might be all they get. Rangers have double the points Malmo have got this season, think about that.

I'd also argue Scotland at 9th is almost at the peak of where we can get. Rangers have done exceptionally well this season but Scotland are ranked 18th on this season alone (should likely improve on that though) which tells me it will take quite a bit more for Scotland to maintain 9th.

Also the creation of the Conference league has hindered us because countries like Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Norway all got good points from there where as last year they didn't.

Maybe stick Rangers in the Conference where they can get maximum points rather being a team Lewandoski licks his lips at the thought of 😉

Aye, I think our coefficient is likely to take a hit over the next few seasons. As you mention, there’s probably more points to be gained in the Europa League compared to the CL but then you also need to factor in that we now have an additional team qualifying for Europe that means our points are split between 5 rather than 4 teams.

It’s isn’t meant as a criticism of other teams either, just a natural byproduct of our countries relative success recently.

Maybe stick Rangers in the Conference where they can get maximum points rather being a team Lewandoski licks his lips at the thought of [emoji6]

Rangers have mixed it with Champions League group stage level clubs over the last 4 years or so. There's no reason to think they'd be absolute whipping boys to the extent of getting 0 points. They'd be unlikely to get through barring a favourable draw, but not every single team in the group stage is a Bayern Munich or a Man City.

On 13/03/2022 at 16:30, craigkillie said:

Rangers have mixed it with Champions League group stage level clubs over the last 4 years or so. There's no reason to think they'd be absolute whipping boys to the extent of getting 0 points. They'd be unlikely to get through barring a favourable draw, but not every single team in the group stage is a Bayern Munich or a Man City.

Rangers have massively punched above their weight in the past couple of seasons. We never got the credit we deserved for Topping a group with Benfica in it. Just one example of our success in recent Europa League campaigns 

Losing to Malmö was a massive disappointment at the time and the financial blow of that meant we were unable to really improve the starting XI for this season. 

IF we qualify for next season’s UCL group stages then I don’t think a third placed finish is beyond Rangers regardless of who’s in the group. 

Obviously you’d hope one of the other clubs could do something in Europa League / conference League

£1.20 for a pint in Serbia. My liver is going to take a beating!

It's an absolutely brilliant city, loved my time there. Not sure what sort of company you're going there with, but this place was superb. It's not cheap for Serbia, but it is cheap for Scotland, the food was brilliant and it's right on the Danube. https://www.ambarrestaurant.com/home-page-belgrade/

I think all of that and drinks was under £20.

e05af91f77f7fd08880280a2e76a9ab3.jpg

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's an absolutely brilliant city, loved my time there. Not sure what sort of company you're going there with, but this place was superb. It's not cheap for Serbia, but it is cheap for Scotland, the food was brilliant and it's right on the Danube. https://www.ambarrestaurant.com/home-page-belgrade/

I think all of that and drinks was under £20.

e05af91f77f7fd08880280a2e76a9ab3.jpg

Looks fantastic. I’m heading out tomorrow so the day before the match might be ideal to stop in there.

12 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Might not be the only thing. 

6E443E1B-A05A-477A-8705-6BEF6581B133.png

Never seen any trouble myself but heard from a couple of folk that some had ran into a crowd of Serbians looking for a fight.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Never seen any trouble myself but heard from a couple of folk that some had ran into a crowd of Serbians looking for a fight.

If you’re over there and the tie is settled I’d suggest getting out 20 minutes early.

They might do the “keep you in for your own safety” trick.

8 minutes ago, stressball said:

If you’re over there and the tie is settled I’d suggest getting out 20 minutes early.

They might do the “keep you in for your own safety” trick.

Aye, we’ve already been told to expect to be kept inside the stadium for at least 90 minutes after full time.

On 15/03/2022 at 17:04, AJF said:

Looks fantastic. I’m heading out tomorrow so the day before the match might be ideal to stop in there.

7 hours ago, DMCs said:

Belgrade is a dump. That's my impression so far anyway. I haven't been to the hipster part of the city near the old fortress yet so hopefully it improves up there.

Best wishes, chaps.  We in Blighty salute you.