Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to progress to the next round, obviously Borrusia Dortmund isn’t the draw any rational Rangers fan wanted. 

Saying that, there are some positives. 
This year is shaping up to be the closest league campaign in over a decade after Celtic’s dominance and Rangers having it all but wrapped up this time last season.Both top 2 teams with relatively new managers, frailties in defence & in squad depth. 

In a season where there’s so many variables for who will win the league, (COVID being an unwelcome one), the one certainty is that the league champions gain automatic entry to the Champions League group stages. If that is Rangers, it’s almost certain that they will be 4th seeds or 3rd at best. Inevitably, you’re going to draw at least 1 team the size and quality of Dortmund in the group.

This tie is almost a free hit for Rangers. They’ll be able to get a taste of a cracking atmosphere both home & away (restrictions permitting). It’s a great prelude to what Rangers will hope to be a part of next year. 

• 1 month later...

Haaland is a doubt for the first leg. Obviously wish the lad well, and hope he concentrates on recuperating ready for his move to Real Madrid in the summer. Not worth risking him imo. If Bellingham, Reyna, Hummels and Reus want to keep him company on the subs bench then it'd probably be for the best as well.

He's busy posting club promo if you've missed him though. What an accent. Also shows Jamie Bisgrove is slacking on the adverts side, we could do exactly the same with Alfie, Tav and knock off energy drinks.

Really looking forward to this. Feels like an age since our match against Lyon.

Haaland out is obviously a bonus, but let’s be fair, we will be right up against it regardless. We could be doing with Balogun being fit with Helander not included in the European squad and I’d rather not play Barasic if we can help it.

A bit of a free hit (sorry for the cliche) against a quality team in a tie we are heavy favourites to be eliminated from. We’ve seen in the past how effective we can be on the break in European competition so I’d imagine Diallo will be in from the start given his pace in comparison to Arfield.

With Balogun confirmed as being out, I fear we will be using Barisic at left back and moving Bassey over to CB. Not completely terrible but Barisic's run of form is cause for concern against an obviously talented side.

Jack being available is a bonus and if he is fit enough I'd imagine he will start.

As suspected, Jack in from the start and Bassey shifted to CB with Barisic in at left back.

Worrying lack of forward options on the bench with no Sakala or Roofe. I can only assume this is to do with the requirement to have so many homegrown players in the squad as I wasn’t aware of any injuries they picked up.

1 hour ago, AJF said:
As suspected, Jack in from the start and Bassey shifted to CB with Barisic in at left back.

Worrying lack of forward options on the bench with no Sakala or Roofe. I can only assume this is to do with the requirement to have so many homegrown players in the squad as I wasn’t aware of any injuries they picked up.

Not true. All players named in the club's Europa League squad can play. 

A possible reason for the absences of McLaughlin, Sakala and Roofe is this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/germany/entry-requirements#entry-rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19

"Travellers from the UK to Germany who are not fully vaccinated may not currently enter Germany. unless they are a German citizen; the spouse/partner/child under 18 of a German citizen; a resident of Germany; the spouse/partner/child under 18 of a resident of Germany; serve in an important role; or have an urgent need to travel."

Edited by Bishop Briggs