Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Massive game tonight! Malmo manager trying to spice things up a bit which I'm sure will add to an already electric atmosphere. If we can get an early goal I think we could go on to qualify in 90, but it's going to be difficult.

11 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

some excellent shithousery from the Malmö manager. It’s the way he says it 😂

That’s brilliant. That guy knows exactly what’s going on, and he says it beautifully. I could watch that on a loop.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Massive game tonight! Malmo manager trying to spice things up a bit which I'm sure will add to an already electric atmosphere. If we can get an early goal I think we could go on to qualify in 90, but it's going to be difficult.

Hoping that Hagi is fit enough to start here.

I'm nervous as anything about this one!

A lot riding on it as you are saying. €5m drop out fee and EL groups secured if we can win this tie.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

Reality check time for the overconfident contingent in the support tonight. I have a horrible feeling that we are in bother. If Malmo score first, that's the tie gone I'm afraid. The performance against United at the weekend was awful.  We must start at 100 miles an hour and kep up the pressure until there's no way back for Malmo. We couldn't do that against United. 

I regret to say that the mad couple of minutes in the first leg has put us out.  Delighted to be proved wrong but the past two games have been shambolic. 

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Reality check time for the overconfident contingent in the support tonight. I have a horrible feeling that we are in bother. If Malmo score first, that's the tie gone I'm afraid. The performance against United at the weekend was awful.  We must start at 100 miles an hour and kep up the pressure until there's no way back for Malmo. We couldn't do that against United. 

I regret to say that the mad couple of minutes in the first leg has put us out.  Delighted to be proved wrong but the past two games have been shambolic. 

That's a bit too defeatist. We are 8/11 to qualify and our record at home in Europe under Gerrard is very good. But yes we need a much better tempo to our game. We need Kent to be on it and I think Borna has struggled so far as well.

Edited by DMCs

31 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

We're most definitely in bother given the first leg score, however personally I think we showed enough going into the final 20/25 minutes of that tie to show that we can hurt them if we can up our game. I think the return of Morelos and Hagi will provide us with a much more familiar style of play to last season which I hope will stand us in good stead.

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Do you think it was short sighted of you not to build on last seasons squad and bring in players who would have improved the first 11 rather than squad fillers such as Lundstrum and Sakala ? 

Even though you won the league by a distance, you should still want to improve.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Liam Flin does the match preview in the Racing Post. Reckons the only thing Rangers are worth at the odds is "swerving"🤣. His recommendation for a punt is both teams to score @ 9/10.

It's the same advice he gives in the Racing & Football Outlook column on this week's European games.

It's a swizz that both papers are printing the same guy's opinions on games these days. The papers have enough tipsters to go around.

Nervous about this tonight. Not expecting an open game - Malmo likely to sit in and try to pick us off on the break. 

Early goal for us would do wonders, just concerned at who the midfield 3 will be as we are short of options/form in there just now.

What happens if we lose do we drop into EL group stage or do we need to play another qualifier? 

As others have said, I'm a bit nervous, we've got a big chance and I think the opening 10 mins will define our game. 

16 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

What happens if we lose do we drop into EL group stage or do we need to play another qualifier? 

As others have said, I'm a bit nervous, we've got a big chance and I think the opening 10 mins will define our game. 

Edit : sorry there would be a playoff  round 

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, dave258 said:

I'd have taken Hagi over Wright but otherwise happy with that. 

Aye I'm alright with that, not much of a tactical analysis type of guy like @G51(GBNF xoxo)

...But I'm guessing we're hoping to suppress them and stifle them from the start presuming they'll be hesitant to push on and then if we don't get a goal early and they're sat deep we can bring out the lock pick that is Hagi.