Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

2 hours ago, SANTAN said:

Perhaps not banking on it then but certainly expecting it and quite rightly so imo. Don't get me wrong I was the most vocally pessimistic on here about CL qualifiers straight after we had won the league but after the draw we certainly should have won the ties. 

I'm a lot more optimistic about the OF than you and I'll happily take the flak and eat my words if I'm wrong but celtc are getting a wee bit carried away, sure they should be rightly enjoying themselves and feeling optimistic but they've had easy games so far other than the 2 hard games they've lost... I think we can cancel out their attack to a reasonable extent and think with a full crowd and full pressure on their defense they will crumble. Still early days and it's not like the winner of that game will define the league but I'm certainly still confident we can get our act and psychological balance correct before that game. 

I think I can say with some degree of confidence that AZ have been by far the best team we have played so far, they are a decent side and if the early one that hit post went in that result could have been very different so you can’t consider that an easy game.

Aye it’s way too early to be making predictions however based on how both teams currently look one is full of confidence and one looks devoid of it. If Celtic don’t capitalise on that next weekend then it would have to be seen as an opportunity missed to pile on some early pressure, it’s an intriguing one for sure 

Edited by Jinky67

13 hours ago, G51 said:

If we were banking on qualifying for the CL, it was a really stupid strategy, because our odds of making it were very long.

I'm more inclined to think that we're feeling a squeeze because the shareholder loans have stopped (as they were scheduled to), we didn't qualify for the CL and the arse appears to have fallen out of the mid-range top-five-league market that we're looking to sell into. Nobody's buying anyone at the moment - it's why Celtic can't shift Edouard either. Maybe that changes as the window closes, but I think Park, Bennett and co. are probably going to have to fund the shortfall again. At least until January, when the top five leagues will have had a few solid months of TV money rolling in.

I also think both OF teams are going to be much closer to the rest of the league than has been the case in recent years. Rangers, because it's pretty much statistically impossible for us not to regress, and Celtic because there's still so much uncertainty around everything they're doing. 88/89 points might win you the league this year. And I don't like our odds for that first OF game simply because teams are still figuring out how to play Celtic, we look like we've had no pre-season and we have to go and play in fucking Armenia 72 hours before the game. I can't see it ending well for us.

13 hours ago, SANTAN said:

Perhaps not banking on it then but certainly expecting it and quite rightly so imo. Don't get me wrong I was the most vocally pessimistic on here about CL qualifiers straight after we had won the league but after the draw we certainly should have won the ties. 

I'm a lot more optimistic about the OF than you and I'll happily take the flak and eat my words if I'm wrong but celtc are getting a wee bit carried away, sure they should be rightly enjoying themselves and feeling optimistic but they've had easy games so far other than the 2 hard games they've lost... I think we can cancel out their attack to a reasonable extent and think with a full crowd and full pressure on their defense they will crumble. Still early days and it's not like the winner of that game will define the league but I'm certainly still confident we can get our act and psychological balance correct before that game. 

The OF? :lol: 
You guys are always joshing.

You pair of helmets.

The team Rangers will put out is still a million miles ahead of what Alashkert have to offer. 9 international players, including most of their best players from last season. The only glimmers of hope Alashkert have is that there might be a bit of turmoil due to all the changes, and that Robby McCrorie is in goals and could have one of the shite performances we saw at Livi. It would still be a terrible result for Rangers if they lose.