Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Presumably it's done on H2H and an away draw gives us the edge over Benfica?

1 minute ago, DMCs said:

We are ahead of them on away goals scored in the H2H.

Is the right answer but sensible responses do nothing for the conspiracy theorists.

Rangers are playing some excellent football at the minute. I know it was against 10 men but their second goal on Thursday was a really well worked goal, and they should have had 4 or 5.

Dont watch a massive amount of Rangers games but any time I do I’m always impressed with Barisic. His passing and the accuracy of his crosses is excellent. I see he’s been called up for the Croatia squad as well. How long is he tied down for at Rangers? Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bigger team coming in for him. 

50 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Rangers are playing some excellent football at the minute. I know it was against 10 men but their second goal on Thursday was a really well worked goal, and they should have had 4 or 5.

Dont watch a massive amount of Rangers games but any time I do I’m always impressed with Barisic. His passing and the accuracy of his crosses is excellent. I see he’s been called up for the Croatia squad as well. How long is he tied down for at Rangers? Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bigger team coming in for him. 

2024. Most of our team are sorted in terms of contracts.

Only Goldson and Tavernier, both tied down till 2022, are a bit of a worry.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, G51 said:

This number is now up to nine with Adel Taarabt testing positive for COVID.

Personally, I cannot contemplate losing to a reserve team in Europe. Unthinkable. Has surely never happened.

22 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

They last time some Brits* took home all the marbles from Europe, the Greeks never shut up about it. 

*A Scot (naturally as we were the most rapacious country of the modern era)  Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin and 11th Earl of Kincardine...

Given how one-sided the previous fixture was until the red card, I was fairly certain Benfica would skoosh this game so long as they avoided a similar game-changer. Now, though, their covid-depleted squad definitely puts Rangers in the driving seat. 

Winning the group would be some feather in the cap, especially having so unprofessionally thrown it away in Portugal by fannying about. Here's hoping. 

Worth noting that if we get a draw tonight that's less than 3-3 (i.e. a 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2) we'd still hold the tiebreaker over Benfica as we'd have a better H2H record on away goals.

So a draw is still a good result for us here. If we win our last two, we'd still top the group come hell or high water.

Trying to work out the permutations of tonight's fixtures for us. Firstly, a Rangers and Standard win would see us through (as we'd be 7 points clear of third with only 2 games to play).

I'm trying to see if a Rangers win and a draw in the other fixture would be enough though. In this scenario, we'd be 3 clear of Benfica and 6 clear of Poznan with two fixtures to play. Standard would be out the running.

To try and work it out I think I need to look at the remaining fixtures out of order. If you assume the worst case scenario that we lose our 2 remaining fixtures (v Standard and Poznan), we would be on 10 points with Poznan on 7. If we also assume that Benfica beat Standard on the last matchday, that would have them on 10 points.

So, that means it comes down to the result of Benfica v Poznan on Matchday 5:

1. Poznan win: This would mean Rangers, Poznan and Benfica would all finish on 10 points (assuming the above results). But, we'd have the better H2H vs Benfica so while all 3 teams would be on 10 points, we'd be guaranteed to qualify.*
  2. Benfica win: This would mean Benfica on 13 points, Rangers on 10 points and Poznan on 7 points. We qualify.
  3. Draw: This would mean Benfica on 11 points, Rangers on 10 points and Poznan on 8 points. We qualify.

*I think the only way it would become more complicated is if scenario 1 plays out where Poznan beat Benfica and the following happens: We have a better H2H record v Benfica, Poznan have a better H2H record v Rangers and Benfica have a better H2H record v Poznan. Then it would come down to goal difference.

Assuming I've not made a mistake with my maths (which is entirely possible), does this mean if we win and Poznan either lose or draw, then we have all but secured qualification? (Unless scenario 1 happens and Poznan beat Benfica by more than 2 goals).

Edited by AJF