Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, bennett said:

2 draws against Benfica, undefeated in the group and have a good chance of progressing from the group stages again. 

It really does show how far we've came that getting a draw tonight seems like a let down.

Pretty much this. Going into Standard Liege at home needing just one win from two games is a very good position to be in.

22 games unbeaten to start the season.

So we learned 2 things over the last two games:

1. While the legs are there, Rangers can go head to head with quality teams but they can't keep up their effort against good teams where they concede a lot more of the ball then they're used to.

2. Steven Gerrard is still very, very raw as a manager. You could perhaps have forgiven him not making changes in the last game when it was clear there were players out on their feet such in the end cost a 2 goal lead. To see exactly the same scenario playing out before their first goal tonight was poor. Changing nothing after their first goal was worse. Finishing the game with the same 11 astonishing. He changes Kent or Kamara tonight then Rangers win the game.

Can't knock the job he's done with Rangers. But that's the difference between Champions League teams and those he has plenty of experience with now.

Their manager wins them a point from 2 goals behind both weeks with good changes at the right time. Gerrard doesn't support his players for all the hard work they'd put in by leaving them on the park after they've done their shift and ultimately costs him qualification tonight.

On paper still 2 very good results, but if he's any ambition of moving to a higher level these are the things Gerrard will need to improve.

Game of two halves that. Rangers just did enough to go in 1-0 at half time but Benfica were poor. Second half was all Benfica who got better as the game progressed. However, Rangers did make the most of the few breaks they had. Great goal and off the bar after the Benfica keeper made an arse of Morelos’s shot. Penalty? Probably but a draw was probably about fair. 

3 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

1. While the legs are there, Rangers can go head to head with quality teams but they can't keep up their effort against good teams where they concede a lot more of the ball then they're used to.

2. Steven Gerrard is still very, very raw as a manager. You could perhaps have forgiven him not making changes in the last game when it was clear there were players out on their feet such in the end cost a 2 goal lead. To see exactly the same scenario playing out before their first goal tonight was poor. Changing nothing after their first goal was worse. Finishing the game with the same 11 astonishing. He changes Kent or Kamara tonight then Rangers win the game.

Can't knock the job he's done with Rangers. But that's the difference between Champions League teams and those he has plenty of experience with now.

Their manager wins them a point from 2 goals behind both weeks with good changes at the right time. Gerrard doesn't support his players for all the hard work they'd put in by leaving them on the park after they've done their shift and ultimately costs him qualification tonight.

On paper still 2 very good results, but if he's any ambition of moving to a higher level these are the things Gerrard will need to improve.

Gerrard would probably have made changes if Aribo and Jack were available. But we didn't really have any midfielders we could bring on tonight. All three are injured.

2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

That's a pretty decent summary to be fair to you.

The only issue I'd take is that we're nowhere near CL level and would be embarrassed had we played in the CL group stages.

We are, though, a decent EL team  and, while twice drawing vs Benfica with a two goal advantage is a sickener, it is a good measure of where we are as a squad:  Good enough to compete in Europe's second tier competition.

I'm, mostly, happy with that.

Sickening to blow a 2 goal lead again but I’m less frustrated this time than the away match.

At least with Standard winning it means 1 point from our last 2 matches is likely going to be enough to see us through as I don’t see Lech Poznan or Standard beating Benfica.

Secure it at Ibrox next game and then rest the players in the final match to concentrate on the league.

Gerrard would probably have made changes if Aribo and Jack were available. But we didn't really have any midfielders we could bring on tonight. All three are injured.
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Come on. Take the specs off.

He had Hagi and Barjonas on the bench. He'd have been working with them as part of the group in training this week so that all knew the jobs.

Either one of them with fresh legs coming in gets out to the ball like Kamara had done all night till his legs went and stopped the cross. Taverner should do better with the header, but for the most part Kamara and Arfield had stopped those balls coming in working with the fullbacks.

Not having the players you want to make a change with doesn't mean it's still not your job to make a change when it's obvious one (or two) are required. They were absolutely fine to throw in a young guy with their stretched squad at 0-2.

I doubt their Gaffer had all the players he wanted to make subs with either. Still did it and won them a point.

As I said, still plenty of positives for Rangers and the job he's done in less than 3 years to get them here, playing the way they do (which is genuinely impressive) is phenomenal. But the last two games should highlight to him that he still has work to do himself to be a CL manager. He dropped the ball both games against Benfica for me, personally.

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

He dropped the ball both games against Benfica for me, personally.

You made an excellent first post but behave.  You're now trying to milk it.

This year our standard is the EL and not the CL and we're doing well in that respect.

3 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

He had Hagi and Barjonas on the bench. He'd have been working with them as part of the group in training this week so that all knew the jobs.

Either one of them with fresh legs coming in gets out to the ball like Kamara had done all night till his legs went and stopped the cross. Taverner should do better with the header, but for the most part Kamara and Arfield had stopped those balls coming in working with the fullbacks.

Not having the players you want to make a change with doesn't mean it's still not your job to make a change when it's obvious one (or two) are required. They were absolutely fine to throw in a young guy with their stretched squad at 0-2.

I doubt their Gaffer had all the players he wanted to make subs with either. Still did it and won them a point.

As I said, still plenty of positives for Rangers and the job he's done in less than 3 years to get them here, playing the way they do (which is genuinely impressive) is phenomenal. But the last two games should highlight to him that he still has work to do himself to be a CL manager. He dropped the ball both games against Benfica for me, personally.

Hagi isn't a centre mid in this system, he's never played there. And Barjonas hasn't played a first team game for us under Gerrard I don't think - he was just there because we don't have enough homegrown players for the European squad.

You made an excellent first post but behave.  You're now trying to milk it.
This year our standard is the EL and not the CL and we're doing well in that respect.
Calm doon Kinkcy. I like the chats with G51, he generally puts across good points and I'd think he'd know (by the smilies) I was jesting with that bit. He's one of the more balanced Rangers posters in general and I'm sure he knows that. [emoji6]

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

Calm doon Kinkcy. I like the chats with G51, he generally puts across good points and I'd think he'd know (by the smilies) I was jesting with that bit. He's one of the more balanced Rangers posters in general and I'm sure he knows that. emoji6.png

f*ck off gaz

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

Calm doon Kinkcy. I like the chats with G51, he generally puts across good points and I'd think he'd know (by the smilies) I was jesting with that bit. He's one of the more balanced Rangers posters in general and I'm sure he knows that. emoji6.png

He's excellent but I hope he ups this side of his game.  Far too ameliorative and sane for my liking...

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

He's excellent but I hope he ups this side of his game.  Far too ameliorative and sane for my liking...

Just as I posted - he comes away with this in true P&B Bear style:  Not even a wee smiley...

1 minute ago, G51 said:

f*ck off gaz

Hagi isn't a centre mid in this system, he's never played there. And Barjonas hasn't played a first team game for us under Gerrard I don't think - he was just there because we don't have enough homegrown players for the European squad.
Sometimes you need to plug square pegs into round holes though, for the greater good, for short periods.

Or if you know you don't have changes to make, change your game plan to go with a less taxing one so you don't need to make those changes.

The way Rangers set up to allow Benfica info wide areas with Arfield and Kamara shuttling to make 2 was obviously a part of their model for the game. He must have known in advance that was going to take it out of those two in particular in the latter stages and had a warning they can exploit that last game.

Kent just put in a hell of a shift and was done before their first goal. Would love to see his numbers.

But whether we're saying he didn't have the changes to make to support his match plan or he chose not to make the changes he had planned in the moment, that's still his mistake, either way.

5 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Sometimes you need to plug square pegs into round holes though, for the greater good, for short periods.

Or if you know you don't have changes to make, change your game plan to go with a less taxing one so you don't need to make those changes.

The way Rangers set up to allow Benfica info wide areas with Arfield and Kamara shuttling to make 2 was obviously a part of their model for the game. He must have known in advance that was going to take it out of those two in particular in the latter stages and had a warning they can exploit that last game.

Kent just put in a hell of a shift and was done before their first goal. Would love to see his numbers.

But whether we're saying he didn't have the changes to make to support his match plan or he chose not to make the changes he had planned in the moment, that's still his mistake, either way.

You do sometimes but and maybe if the game is replayed he does that. Apparently Aribo has been spewing for the last 24 hours so that's why he wasn't playing - such is life. That option would have been good.

He definitely could have made the Kent sub though, and I thought Kent and Roofe for Hagi and Barker would happen. But overall it was a good gameplan and we just didn't quite have enough to carry it through. We'll body Liege next week and all will be forgiven.

38 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Alternatively, their manager costs them 4 points by picking the wrong starting line-up both weeks.