Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Lincoln red Imps win 3-0?

Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf said:

“We are in the midst of a global pandemic and the situation in many countries can change suddenly. Therefore, people should think very hard before committing to non-essential travel abroad.

“With Scotland’s relatively low infection rate, importation of new cases is a significant risk to public health. I would also encourage people who have returned to Scotland from Portugal or French Polynesia in the last few days to be particularly careful in their social contacts and to ensure they stick to the FACTS. I am also concerned by the level of infections in Gibraltar and we will be monitoring the situation there very carefully.

Or you play in Cyprus/Poland.

If big Cellic fan Humza has a say, then Rangers are out. 😃

3 minutes ago, charger29 said:
22 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

They're not cancelling the game because of a high infection rate across the Czech Republic. They're cancelling it because of a couple of staff members came back positive. I don't see what that's got to do with Gibraltar.

It's an issue involving covid and football. However tenuous.

• 2 weeks later...

If Balogun is fit then I'm playing him in this game. If he isn't, then it's Goldson.

McLaughlin; Patterson, Goldson/Balogun, Edmundson, Bassey; Kamara, Arfield; Stewart, Hagi, Itten; Defoe

Gerrard will never do this, but he should.

Edited by G51

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Will someone explain this betting line on the over?

"Over3, 3.5-125"

A total of 4 goals has to be scored to win, I get that. I just don't get why it's listed 3, 3.5?

It's what's called an Asian Handicap. Explained here:

Spoiler

The bettor's stake is automatically divided equally and placed as 2 separate bets. This means that with a handicap point of 0-0.5 or 0 and ½, half of your stake is on the 0 point handicap and the other half is on the 0.5 handicap.

Match: Everton vs. Newcastle United

Handicap: Newcastle +1.0, +1.5

Explained: This handicap states that half of your bet goes on Newcastle to win, draw, or lose by less than 1 goal; and half on Newcastle to win, draw, or lose by less than 1.5 goals.

If the final score is Everton 1-0 Newcastle, half your bet would be refunded due to draw (Everton 1 - +1 Newcastle, i.e: Newcastle lost by exactly one goal). The second half would win (Everton 1 - +1.5 Newcastle, i.e: Newcastle lost by less than 1.5 goals).

It's basically a spread bet.

PS: I have no idea how you Americans cope with giving your odds as -125, +185 etc. That does my absolute head in and takes me ages to convert it back to fractional.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

It's what's called an Asian Handicap. Explained here:

Reveal hidden contents

The bettor's stake is automatically divided equally and placed as 2 separate bets. This means that with a handicap point of 0-0.5 or 0 and ½, half of your stake is on the 0 point handicap and the other half is on the 0.5 handicap.

Match: Everton vs. Newcastle United

Handicap: Newcastle +1.0, +1.5

Explained: This handicap states that half of your bet goes on Newcastle to win, draw, or lose by less than 1 goal; and half on Newcastle to win, draw, or lose by less than 1.5 goals.

If the final score is Everton 1-0 Newcastle, half your bet would be refunded due to draw (Everton 1 - +1 Newcastle, i.e: Newcastle lost by exactly one goal). The second half would win (Everton 1 - +1.5 Newcastle, i.e: Newcastle lost by less than 1.5 goals).

It's basically a spread bet.

PS: I have no idea how you Americans cope with giving your odds as -125, +185 etc. That does my absolute head in and takes me ages to convert it back to fractional.

Thanks. I find that a bit confusing, but I get it, haha.

I prefer our odds. Just look at it as what you have to lay to win 100 for the - number and what laying 100 wins you for the + number.

10 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Thanks. I find that a bit confusing, but I get it, haha.

I prefer our odds. Just look at it as what you have to lay to win 100 for the - number and what laying 100 wins you for the + number.

I can't get my head round it at all, just cause we're all brought up with fractions over here, so that's all we know (though some oddballs still use decimals).

Basically, for the bet you posted above:

"Over3, 3.5-125" (or 4/5 in our money)

If you bet $20 on this, $10 would be bet on there being over 3 goals, and $10 would be bet on there being over 3.5 goals. They're basically setting the spread at 3 goals.

So if there's only 3 goals, you'd be refunded $10 for the first bet, but you'd lose your $10 for the second.

If there's less than 3 goals, you lose your stake in total ($20)

If there's 4 goals, you win both bets, so you win at odds of -125, or 4/5.

It basically gives you a wee bit of insurance if you fall just short, but that comes at the price of reduced odds, i.e. the odds for over 3.5 goals will be better than 4/5 if you bet only that.