Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Yeah, its a good Rangers performance. They did well, but surrendered control to what was, without any sensible doubt, a very poor Feyenoord side scarcely worthy of the name.

That said, you have to buy into a certain amount of "Scottish fitbaw is shite" patter if you dont think Rangers and Celtic will often get the best of Europa group level teams at home.

Rangers are atill shite compared to Celtic, and both are still largely shite in Europe, but its a mistake to be confused by big names like Feyenoord being much better. Lots of teams and countried are being left behind by UEFAs march to elitism

Whats the issue with what I said Bennett? I basically said its not unreasonable to expect Rangers to win games like this, and the folk who think they will get pumped every time at this level are generally the "all Scottish football is shite" types. Care to elaborate on why that amuses you?

Some absolutely outstanding posts from the PnBers over our win last night, with the little one providing the best laughs so far.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, bennett said:

Sure I've read somewhere that young boys have a pitch which is worse than kilmarnock's,  probably have to try and grind a result out.

Half the top league here have a similar park. Not a great surface but not the worst either. YB are formidable at home all the same, so I think it probably plays a part. Still fancy Nsame and Assale to do very well, though Assale is a major injury doubt. Other than those two, Hoarau will be a nightmare to deal with, and Fassnacht looks like he is picking up form again after a few years of inconsistency. Very dangerous player if they get the ball to him, generally times his runs beyond the attack very well. The YB defence is dodgy as f**k though so Rangers have a chance.

BTTS and YB win would be my bet for the night.

Out of interest, did Rangers take tickets for this? Mate of mines works in a restaurant in the old town in Bern and said last night that he was disappointed at the lack of any Rangers fans kicking about. Guessing they would have been boozing somewhere cheaper than the gaff he works in but I would have expected him to see one or two Rangers fans when he was walking to/from work.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Watched the Red Star game thought they were the better side plus with the amount of red star fans it looked like a home game for red star in Bern.

Switzerland took in a relatively large number of refugees from the Balkans during the war there. Noticeable in the national team. At club level they all still seem to support whoever they followed before they moved. Not many of them have a Swiss team. A lot of the second generation are somwhere in between mind you. Probably a few folk in the home end with their dads or uncles, supporting different sides.

Edited by Ross.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Out of interest, did Rangers take tickets for this? Mate of mines works in a restaurant in the old town in Bern and said last night that he was disappointed at the lack of any Rangers fans kicking about. Guessing they would have been boozing somewhere cheaper than the gaff he works in but I would have expected him to see one or two Rangers fans when he was walking to/from work.

No, the board chose not to take them for this one right after the news of the UEFA charge.

Hopefully Assale is still injured as you said as he will cause huge problems.

EDIT: Just heard there will be about 100 Rangers fans there and YB have created a section of the stadium for them. An unofficial away support.

Edited by TavTastic

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Switzerland took in a relatively large number of refugees from the Balkans during the war there. Noticeable in the national team. At club level they all still seem to support whoever they followed before they moved. Not many of them have a Swiss team. A lot of the second generation are somwhere in between mind you. Probably a few folk in the home end with their dads or uncles, supporting different sides.

The Swiss teams not having a good season in Europe with only 4 wins and 9 defeats slipping down the co-efficient table.
I take it their better players are moving to better leagues? 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The Swiss teams not having a good season in Europe with only 4 wins and 9 defeats slipping down the co-efficient table.
I take it their better players are moving to better leagues? 

Basically the same situation as Scotland. It's a market for players who want to move to the much bigger, richer leagues next door.

The 4 wins and 9 defeats is a bit unrepresentative. the Basel Champions League qualifier is probably the only result you could argue didn't go as you'd expect it to(Lost twice to LASK who finished 2nd in Austria). The rest were pretty much exactly what you would expect. Luzern beat a Faroese team twice then went out twice to Espanyol. Lugano have lost away to Copenhagen, YB drew both games with Red Star and lost away to Porto. I must be missing a couple of games mind you. All in there have been no real surprises.

Team as expected except it's Helander in for Katic. He needs to handle the physicality better than he did against Dykes of Livi. Assale starts for YB in a 4-4-2. 

Young Boys name comes from Old Boys of Basel who play in the fifth tier of the Swiss league system.

IMG_20191003_170620.thumb.jpg.029420e9f1df3eb8282bbfbfdaf15f81.jpg

Good to see Greg Stewart on the bench after his great performance on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Half the top league here have a similar park. Not a great surface but not the worst either. YB are formidable at home all the same, so I think it probably plays a part. Still fancy Nsame and Assale to do very well, though Assale is a major injury doubt. Other than those two, Hoarau will be a nightmare to deal with, and Fassnacht looks like he is picking up form again after a few years of inconsistency. Very dangerous player if they get the ball to him, generally times his runs beyond the attack very well. The YB defence is dodgy as f**k though so Rangers have a chance.

BTTS and YB win would be my bet for the night.

Cheers, don't really know much about them.

We never took any tickets due to some of the fans acting like twats at previous games, basically to get them to behave in future.

I'm guessing that some will have went out there anyway.

Just now, bennett said:

Cheers, don't really know much about them.

We never took any tickets due to some of the fans acting like twats at previous games, basically to get them to behave in future.

I'm guessing that some will have went out there anyway.

Young Boys said there are like 600 there. 

1 minute ago, TavTastic said:

Young Boys said there are like 600 there. 

More than I expected.  

Does anyone know what action UEFA would take if the party songs get belted out tonight,  with Rangers refusing tickets for the game?

Just now, bennett said:

More than I expected.  

Does anyone know what action UEFA would take if the party songs get belted out tonight,  with Rangers refusing tickets for the game?

I think it would still make us liable for a charge so hopefully no one is a selfish dick and ruins it for the rest of us. Got Porto and Feyenoord booked already lol