Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

23 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

First half I thought Rangers performance was outstanding as they were effectively winning with 9 men given how ineffectual Aribo and Scott Wright were. Obviously I hoped Aribo was ok, but not going to pretend I wasn’t a little bit happy when he had to come off and felt Wright put in a better shift second half.

A genius speaks.  

Wright was absolutely vital for the second goal though?

37 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

image.jpeg.ae6425ea0b87195636d64521dbf1349b.jpeg

Tbqhwy I’m still yet to take to Aribo and thought he was just shy of being a complete passenger last night. Has bags of ability but no brain in his head. His fluffed effort for a third goal sums that up. His hold up play is weak and his ability to take the ball to feet with a defender on his back is normally due to his exceedingly lanky legs as opposed to being brave or strong. 

He reminds me (and not in a good way) of Ross Barkley down south. An excellent ball carrier especially when they have that physique but when they get to the final third they have next to no footballing brain to select the right option. 

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well, do what I have done. Stop watching them.

I did for many years, but was intrigued by what Dick Campbell was doing/is doing at Arbroath so started watching Championship games and occasional Premiership games hoping to see Rangers and Celtic get a bloody nose.

When did you stop watching and what prompted that?

And , without trying to be a dick, how come you're posting on P&B Rangers UEFA cup run if you aren't tuned in?

14 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

That's a brilliant moment. Often these things are shown later in the programme, with a "we caught this reaction off camera, haha, what do you think" remark, which for me makes it a bit snide and cringy. In this instance, McCoist knew he was live, knew he was probably in shot, and didn't give a monkeys. 

Overall, what an achievement in getting to the final. I have no doubts they'll win it now, they've been the best team in each tie they've played and, although Frankfurt are to be respected, they shouldn't be feared in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Selective quoting fanny speaks.

image.thumb.jpeg.e314ab9a77acb462c39a10763bbc943c.jpeg

The mallo 😄

1 hour ago, Orbix said:

Wright was absolutely vital for the second goal though?

Yeah in fairness that shouldn’t be overlooked, albeit his only contribution first half it was a key one. Maybe Wright’s performances this season have perhaps resulted in an overly critical eye 🤷🏻‍♂️
Difficult for me not to be critical of Aribo though. Despite many Rangers fans thinking he’s the dugs danglies, for me his infrequent moments of brilliance have been massively outweighed by endless brain farts, poor decisions, being a bit of a wimpy shitebag and always playing that way where he’s makes it look like he’s trying but is really only giving 75% at best. 

53 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He reminds me (and not in a good way) of Ross Barkley down south. An excellent ball carrier especially when they have that physique but when they get to the final third they have next to no footballing brain to select the right option. 

Yeah I kinda agree with that but would actually say Barkley’s better at using his physique when carrying the ball. Aribo like you say is an excellent ball carrier, but for me only where there’s open space or his pace has the beating of the opposing players. Should he be matched for pace he’s usually tackled and loses the ball. Going back to his physique - For appearing to be quite a big strong looking boy, for me Aribo is incredibly lightweight, weak and is easily shrugged off the ball by guys half his size almost every game. Can see there’s a player in him but he’s incredibly frustrating. 

That said I wouldn’t be surprised for my criticism to bite me on the arse and he somehow ends up skinning a couple of Frankfurters and sets up or scores a beauty in the final. 

Edited by 8MileBU

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Aye, and as I said, it's a shite analogy.

It's a game of football ffs.

Have to disagree with this sentiment.  British football is (or was) the purest expression of populist working class solidarity. I believe that to discount the wholesale corporate takeover of something that pure and popular is very short-sighted.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Comparing it to wanting the Tories to win is a shite analogy.

That has real-life consequences that can affect millions of folk in our poorest communities.

The old Rangers FC were the embodiment of Thatcherism and the Nietzschean "will to power"....and that's how an ideolgy wins, it takes over every area of human consciousness, becomes accepted by the community as "normal" , a perfect case-in-point would be Celtic FC, who felt they had no option but to do what their enemies were doing and as some brainy person said years ago, when you fight someone you take on that person's qualities, you become them, you become your enemy, and so your enemy wins because now there's another one of them in the world.

You said it's just a game of football, but nothing is ever "just" anything.

42 minutes ago, Luddite said:

The old Rangers FC were the embodiment of Thatcherism and the Nietzschean "will to power"....and that's how an ideolgy wins, it takes over every area of human consciousness, becomes accepted by the community as "normal" , a perfect case-in-point would be Celtic FC, who felt they had no option but to do what their enemies were doing and as some brainy person said years ago, when you fight someone you take on that person's qualities, you become them, you become your enemy, and so your enemy wins because now there's another one of them in the world.

You said it's just a game of football, but nothing is ever "just" anything.

Plus, I never even suggested wanting the Rangers 2012 to win in Europe was the same as wanting the Conservatives to win an election.

However, in the mind of an idiot…

7 minutes ago, bennett said:

That gives me that absolute fear. 

Edit: I've felt Ibrox move like that a couple of times.  Parma being one and when we went a goal up against Bayern in the CL. 

The only other place I've felt move like that was the Parc de Princes after Scotland beat France 

Edited by KnightswoodVanBear

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

You cannot understand why anyone wants two certain Scottish clubs to get pumped each and every time they play, no matter where it is? Domestic football, European football, or, erm, glamour friendlies in Australia? You don’t need to agree with it, but surely you can understand it. I simply cannot list all the reasons why many of us think that way. There’s not enough time, Div cannot spare the bandwidth, and it would break the internet.

Add Tiddlywinks and Scissors/ Paper/ stone to the list of things you love seeing them getting pumped at.