Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

11 minutes ago, Knight55WoodBear said:

I've not seen the video but I've seen folk talk about it.  I've no problem with it. They've avoided all the big CL teams, and I'm sure our players were breathing a sigh of relief as well.  

Nothing there to get angry about. 

Agreed. I’m sure the Rangers players were very happy with the draw also.

Makes the pre-match prep quite easy for Gerrard & Co though, one would imagine.

Been watching Slavia for over 10 years and I am looking forward to this.  They have performed well in Europe over the last few years. Watching the Leicester game the other night, it was annoying to see the lack of acknowledgement the commentary team showed for Slavia. The team had seven Czech internationals in it along with a Nigerian and Romanian, two of the players that left them last season are currently some of the highest performers in the EPL. Last season, Kolar, the Slavia keeper was he first goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet at the Nou Camp in a ridiculous amount of time, something like 6 years.

They almost went bust in the early 2010's and were taken over by a Chinese state energy firm. Czech football isn't the same duopoly as Scotland, there are normally 2-3 clubs in the mix, however, the 3 main forces in recent times have been Slavia, Sparta and Plzen. This season, Plzen have been appalling and are mid-table, Sparta peaked in the games V. Celtic and chucked away points left, right and centre after it, losing a 2 point lead and are currently 8 points behind. 

Slavia have done well from signing developing talent at smaller clubs in Czech Republic as well as bringing in a bit of Non-domestic flair. 

This season, up until the winter break, Savia had conceded 4 goals in 15 games, since the return, they have conceded 8 in 6. They lost Soucek and Coufal to West Ham in the summer and didn't spend to replace them, Big players that had performed for them in the past like Masopust, Stanciu and Traore went off the boil meaning they were struggling in attack and down the right hand side. 

Two youth players, Abdulla Sima and Jan Kuchta came in to the side midway through the Autumn and have been on fantastic form, Sima hadn't played a professional game before he was signed as a prospect. He was added to the squad due to Covid absences and has now scored 8 in 11 league games with another 5 in Europe. The Slavia chairman put a price tag of £50 million on him which the BT sport team found hilarious until he skelped one past Leicester. 

I think it could be another high scoring tie, I don't think that any team in Scotland play with the same tempo as Slavia, they have a number of goal threats that all interchange, however, the same could be said for Rangers and if Slavia have a weak spot, it is in the centre of defence, they have attacking full-backs and play a back 4, The movement of Kent and Morelos will cause them problems. 

Slavia are better than Antwerp but I think this will be a close game with plenty of goals. 

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Been watching Slavia for over 10 years and I am looking forward to this.  They have performed well in Europe over the last few years. Watching the Leicester game the other night, it was annoying to see the lack of acknowledgement the commentary team showed for Slavia. The team had seven Czech internationals in it along with a Nigerian and Romanian, two of the players that left them last season are currently some of the highest performers in the EPL. Last season, Kolar, the Slavia keeper was he first goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet at the Nou Camp in a ridiculous amount of time, something like 6 years.

They almost went bust in the early 2010's and were taken over by a Chinese state energy firm. Czech football isn't the same duopoly as Scotland, there are normally 2-3 clubs in the mix, however, the 3 main forces in recent times have been Slavia, Sparta and Plzen. This season, Plzen have been appalling and are mid-table, Sparta peaked in the games V. Celtic and chucked away points left, right and centre after it, losing a 2 point lead and are currently 8 points behind. 

Slavia have done well from signing developing talent at smaller clubs in Czech Republic as well as bringing in a bit of Non-domestic flair. 

This season, up until the winter break, Savia had conceded 4 goals in 15 games, since the return, they have conceded 8 in 6. They lost Soucek and Coufal to West Ham in the summer and didn't spend to replace them, Big players that had performed for them in the past like Masopust, Stanciu and Traore went off the boil meaning they were struggling in attack and down the right hand side. 

Two youth players, Abdulla Sima and Jan Kuchta came in to the side midway through the Autumn and have been on fantastic form, Sima hadn't played a professional game before he was signed as a prospect. He was added to the squad due to Covid absences and has now scored 8 in 11 league games with another 5 in Europe. The Slavia chairman put a price tag of £50 million on him which the BT sport team found hilarious until he skelped one past Leicester. 

I think it could be another high scoring tie, I don't think that any team in Scotland play with the same tempo as Slavia, they have a number of goal threats that all interchange, however, the same could be said for Rangers and if Slavia have a weak spot, it is in the centre of defence, they have attacking full-backs and play a back 4, The movement of Kent and Morelos will cause them problems. 

Slavia are better than Antwerp but I think this will be a close game with plenty of goals. 

This guy looks like a budding star.

19 hours ago, Knight55WoodBear said:

I've not seen the video but I've seen folk talk about it.  I've no problem with it. They've avoided all the big CL teams, and I'm sure our players were breathing a sigh of relief as well.  

Nothing there to get angry about. 

Problem for MacGregor then !

1 hour ago, WilliamBragg said:

Slavia won 10-3 in a Czech Cup tie against a lower league side.

Looks like their defence can be got at.

Genuinely think this tie is a coin flip. Will wait and see what the scouting reports say about Slavia but that's the feeling I'm getting at the moment.

Just now, G51 said:

Genuinely think this tie is a coin flip. Will wait and see what the scouting reports say about Slavia but that's the feeling I'm getting at the moment.

Probably a fair comment. 

Just think if they are letting in 3 against lower league opposition then you're counter attacking away could pick them off.

1 minute ago, WilliamBragg said:

Probably a fair comment. 

Just think if they are letting in 3 against lower league opposition then you're counter attacking away could pick them off.

I've heard it said that their centre backs can be got at - one of them is Simon Deli IIRC, who Rangers were linked with before we bought Helander. He's a big laddie but we'll see.

Probably a fair comment. 
If there was an award for clutching at straws then that would win.

Do you really think conceding three in a game against lower league opposition, for which they made ten changes to the starting line up, and were 5-0 up after 53 minutes and went on to win by seven really has any bearing whatsoever on their game against you?

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Do you really think conceding three in a game against lower league opposition, for which they made ten changes to the starting line up, and were 5-0 up after 53 minutes and went on to win by seven really has any bearing whatsoever on their game against you?

I support Beith Juniors mate.

Pretty sure we're not playing Slavia Prague anytime soon.

Yes. They will be unable to sleep for weeks due to horrendous Ring a Ring o' Roses based nightmares.

https://streamable.com/zx0iwv

On 03/03/2021 at 21:27, G51 said:

I've heard it said that their centre backs can be got at - one of them is Simon Deli IIRC, who Rangers were linked with before we bought Helander. He's a big laddie but we'll see.

Deli was at Slavia previously, He was brought in for cover specifically for the Europa League, they don't have much beyond Kudela and Zima. With Covid they have had a couple of makeshift defences out. They lost Coufal to West ham and have struggled at right back, they had left back Boril playing there and left winger Dorley at left back. 

They brought in Bah from a Danish club and he was a bit dodgy although he won man of the match against Leicester in the last round.  

On 03/03/2021 at 19:56, WilliamBragg said:

Slavia won 10-3 in a Czech Cup tie against a lower league side.

Looks like their defence can be got at.

It was mostly under 23's in the squad. Another of the youth prospects, 17 year old Visinsky, scored 3 and set up 4 others. Tecl scored 4 and he isn't first choice despite being in the recent Czech national team squads. 

Slavia are at home to Banik Ostrava on Sunday tea time, They are mid-table and I would expect they will rest a lot of the first choice players for Thursday.