Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

22 minutes ago, stressball said:

Benfica rested players from what I recall.

You should be beating Braga and Red Star.

Not sure why you’re all spitting your dummies out because I’ve said they’re crap and you should progress. You’re a better team than them.

They didn’t rest players. They were actually spent tens of millions that summer to improve their squad. We drew with them twice but outplayed them over both legs and we topped the group. Unless you think they wanted second place? My nieces husband is a huge Benfica fan and they are still shocked at how well we played

Standard Liege were a very decent team

Galatasary 

Braga knocked out Monaco in the last round. Monaco beat PSG 3-0 a few days after that defeat. Maybe they are mugs 

Red Star are several levels above anything we meet domestically 

Sparta Prague are no slouches 

It’s embarrassing trying to belittle these clubs. IF and it’s a big IF we get past Braga it will be a fantastic result for Rangers and the Scottish league

Then we have Leipzig or Atalanta. I suppose they’ll be crap?

Rangers are by no means better than these teams. We have punched above our weight over the last few seasons in Europa. 

10 hours ago, AB1872 said:

They didn’t rest players. They were actually spent tens of millions that summer to improve their squad. We drew with them twice but outplayed them over both legs and we topped the group. Unless you think they wanted second place? My nieces husband is a huge Benfica fan and they are still shocked at how well we played

Standard Liege were a very decent team

Galatasary 

Braga knocked out Monaco in the last round. Monaco beat PSG 3-0 a few days after that defeat. Maybe they are mugs 

Red Star are several levels above anything we meet domestically 

Sparta Prague are no slouches 

It’s embarrassing trying to belittle these clubs. IF and it’s a big IF we get past Braga it will be a fantastic result for Rangers and the Scottish league

Then we have Leipzig or Atalanta. I suppose they’ll be crap?

Rangers are by no means better than these teams. We have punched above our weight over the last few seasons in Europa. 

When did you play Benfica in Europe this season?

Honesty just stop changing the narrative. If Red Star are better than anything you’ve played domestically why did we smash you?

Accept that you SHOULD be  beating them and Braga and move the f**k on.

Edited by stressball

Just now, Melanius Mullarkay said:

“A fantastic result for the Scottish league”

In what way?

Will boost the League coefficient 

Will boost the profile of the league 

I believe Rangers European success in recent seasons has guaranteed a third club from our league group stage football 

But you knew this 

1 hour ago, stressball said:

When did you play Benfica in Europe this season?

Honesty just stop changing the narrative. If Red Star are better than anything you’ve played domestically why did we smash you?

Accept that you SHOULD be  beating them and Braga and move the f**k on.

Ffs you’ve won two OF league games in about 3 years. If we win at Parkhead it’ll be two wins a piece this season. 

How many knockout games in European football have Celtic won in the last 10 years?

The teams we are playing are way above the level of Celtic! They are way above the level of Rangers and why we are punching above our weight

Its embarrassing trying to downplay Rangers European results in recent years.

It's been a regular occurrence the last few years, this narrative.

Rangers draw someone that are deemed by some to be mince. If we then beat them, ah, they were mince so you were expected to beat them. No credit given.

We drew Slavia Prague last year and it was another case of "easy draw, so lucky". They put us out and it then changed to "first quality side you faced you crumbled". No credit given.

It changed when we drew Dortmund slightly. We were told now that we were going to be facing a quality side we'd be papped out. We beat them and the narrative changes to "the worst Dortmund side in recent memory".

It's very, very predictable.

As I said, this is a view held by some and I am generalising. I know some P&B'ers have given Rangers credit over that period.

If we are being honest Braga was possibly the best draw we could have got at such a stage of European Competition. Then again they got here by knocking out Monaco!

Im sure Braga will believe drawing Rangers is the best possible draw at this stage of European Competition but we got there by knocking out Red Star and Dortmund 

Both teams deserve to be there and deserve to be respected 

21 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

If we are being honest Braga was possibly the best draw we could have got at such a stage of European Competition. Then again they got here by knocking out Monaco!

Im sure Braga will believe drawing Rangers is the best possible draw at this stage of European Competition but we got there by knocking out Red Star and Dortmund 

Both teams deserve to be there and deserve to be respected 

It absolutely was the best draw we could've hoped for, you just see too many people confuse "best draw" with "easy draw". Particularly fans of a club that haven't won a euro knockout tie since Tony Blair was Prime Minister!

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

"No one likes us, we don't care", say neediest fans in Scotland

It's not being needy, it's disagreeing with shite opinions about the quality of particular teams.

On 13/04/2022 at 09:43, AB1872 said:

Ffs you’ve won two OF league games in about 3 years. If we win at Parkhead it’ll be two wins a piece this season. 

How many knockout games in European football have Celtic won in the last 10 years?

The teams we are playing are way above the level of Celtic! They are way above the level of Rangers and why we are punching above our weight

Its embarrassing trying to downplay Rangers European results in recent years.

You talk about changing and controlling narratives but only talk about knockout games. The group stages are still an important part of these tournaments.

The teams you have played above your level were Lyon and Dortmund, everyone else i would expect Rangers to be competitive against or beat. I'd also expect Celtic to be competitive against them too but that expectation doesn't always translate into results. 

Edited by Jinky67

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You talk about changing and controlling narratives but only talk about knockout games. The group stages are still an important part of these tournaments.

The teams you have played above your level were Lyon and Dortmund, everyone else I would expect Rangers to be competitive against or beat. I'd also expect Celtic to be competitive against them too but that expectation doesn't always translate into results. 

I have to disagree to an extent there. If we look at all the teams we've faced since the Progres fiasco, even just in the group stages onwards, we have:

Villarreal, Rapid Vienna, Spartak Moscow, Porto, Young Boys, Feyenoord, Braga, Bayer Leverkusen, Benfica, Standard Liege, Lech Poznan, Antwerp, Slavia Prague, Lyon, Sparta Prague, Brondby, Dortmund, Red Star and Braga again.

I think it's a stretch to say out of all those teams that only Lyon and Dortmund were above our level.

40 minutes ago, AJF said:

I have to disagree to an extent there. If we look at all the teams we've faced since the Progres fiasco, even just in the group stages onwards, we have:

Villarreal, Rapid Vienna, Spartak Moscow, Porto, Young Boys, Feyenoord, Braga, Bayer Leverkusen, Benfica, Standard Liege, Lech Poznan, Antwerp, Slavia Prague, Lyon, Sparta Prague, Brondby, Dortmund, Red Star and Braga again.

I think it's a stretch to say out of all those teams that only Lyon and Dortmund were above our level.

I was referring to this season sorry

On 13/04/2022 at 08:54, AB1872 said:

Will boost the League coefficient 

Will boost the profile of the league 

I believe Rangers European success in recent seasons has guaranteed a third club from our league group stage football 

But you knew this 

I’d rather have a competitive, sectarian free league than an extra European spot.

The non Old Firm clubs need to resign en masse and start a new league. The Old Firm have been hanging on our coat tails for too long.

And you know this