The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 19/20

Frank Grimes

5 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

With Rijeka/Gent as their draws they had their best chance in a while of making the group stages. Never going to be easy and probably had a less than 15% chance of making the group stages but to go down like they did last night was under-performing expectations in a big way.

Going down the way they did is a different part, ill give you that.

I didn't expect Aberdeen to go through, especially when you look at both teams experiences in recent European campaigns.
When they lost 2.0 I was disappointed that they didn't get a goal which I thought would have changed the home leg, unfortunately they didn't and from what I heard last night, Aberdeen went for it gun hoe straight away and lost an early goal and that was that even before the second goal and sending off.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Going out to Rijeka is not embarrassing but we were abject last night, really bad. Some serious introspection required. 

Image result for navel gazing gif

Edited by Jacksgranda

15 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

haven't got a clue what that means by my quote, take it you thought Aberdeen would go through.

Again looking at both teams recent records, Rijka have been in the group stages a few times
########
In 2013, after winning 4–3 on aggregate against VfB Stuttgart, Rijeka qualified for the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League group stage.
Rijeka also participated in the 2014–15 UEFA Europa League group stage, where they defeated Feyenoord and Standard Liège and drew with title-holders and eventual winners Sevilla. In 2017, Rijeka reached the 2017–18 UEFA Champions League play-off, where they lost 3–1 on aggregate to Greek champions Olympiacos, and automatically qualified for the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League group stage. In the group stage they recorded a famous home win (2–0) against AC Milan but once again failed to progress to the knockout stages.

########

After reading that and Aberdeen exploits I guess why UEFA had the Croations down as favourites.
I would expect most Aberdeen fans to think the Dons would go through, but if being realistic you check both teams results you would really just hope they did but wont be surprised if they didn't.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

His domestic cup record is really poor and is the major thing that stands out for me. The 'we're up against Celtic' thing doesn't wash when in the time McInnes has been in charge St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness and a Championship Hibs side have all won the same number of major trophies as Aberdeen.

There is no doubt that he has brought Aberdeen up a level since before he arrived, it's easy to forget how poor they were. However, it is also true that he has managed them during the easiest time possible - Rangers out the league, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd all relegated. Plus he had Ronnie's Celtic for a couple of years. You 'can only beat what is in front of you' so it is not a criticism, but to not finish 2nd or 3rd over the previous few years would have been awful. With most of those teams now back in the league, and a competitive Kilmarnock side (albeit briefly) we are seeing/will see what his record would have been like if he had had more competition in the last few years.

The best description is the guy who described Aberdeen as flatlining. McInnes initially brought them up to a certain level but have not progressed (in league, cup or Europe) for a while now. And with the increased competition I think it's likely they will regress slightly and be even less likely to win a trophy and will finish further down the league. He is a safe pair of hands if the club are happy churning out top 6 finishes every year, but I'd guess the time will come where fans start to think it might be worth a change.

We don't have a divine right to win the cup. We've been to plenty finals and semi finals, which would be expected. How many have Deadco won in the McInnes era? With a far larger budget. Hibs and Hearts with similar budgets? 

He's managed us and finished ahead of Rangers, Hibs and Hearts more than either have finished above him?!

I've considered the change several times myself. My main worry is taking someone in who is good enough to improve. Calderwoods time had come and he needed to go. We replaced him with an idiot.

31 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Do Aberdeen fans that want rid of McInnes have someone in mind to replace him? Do they actually think someone else would win trophies or challenge for the title?

McInnes is as good as you'll get, whether you like it or not.

I’d agree with that. If Aberdeen are to do well in Europe they are either going to be very lucky with youngsters coming through or splash the cash. The latter is unlikely if the current chairman is running the show. Any spare money will be required to fund Kingsford.

Don’t look for changes any time soon.

41 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Do Aberdeen fans that want rid of McInnes have someone in mind to replace him? Do they actually think someone else would win trophies or challenge for the title?

McInnes is as good as you'll get, whether you like it or not.

Well if you were to ask someone who wants McInnes sacked who they'd replace him with you'll get the "it's not my job to source a manager" response.

Which is true. But everyone has differing ambitions. It will be impossible for the club to get it right in most fans eyes unless we win a fair amount of silverware.

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So what is your point then? 

ETA - I'm aware of the 'at least it's not Mcghee' trope that is thrown out by the anti Mcinnes mob as the happy clapper mantra, but it really doesn't hold any weight.

If you are on Twitter have a look at the #AberdeenFC #McInnes hashtags. "At least he's not McGhee" was played fairly regularly last night.

Let's be clear, McInnes is a vast, vast improvement on McGhee & Broony and Jimmy Calderwood. However, regardless of how bad McGhee was it has no bearing on McInnes' record, or shouldn't. It's every bit as damaging as comparing managers to Alex Ferguson was in the 90s and early 2000s.

Having mentioned Ferguson, though...he learned from his mistakes. As do all good manager/coaches. In his early years in Europe Fergie's teams made some eye catching blunders but he learned and improved and polished the team and his tactics. Granted, we can't compare McInnes to Ferguson or that era to this but I just feel that McInnes keeps making the same errors over and over. The best performance we had against Roger's Celtic (IMO) was the 2017 Cup Final where we got in their faces rather than standing off and competed well into the second half. AFC could have won that Cup Final, the only one against Celtic I feel I can honestly say that.

Since then though, it seems like AFC have resorted to type - stand off, hope for a set-piece and watch as the roof caves in with a moment of lost concentration or a missed assignment.

I'll say it again. I think McInnes has it in him to be an even better manager but he has to take on board and learn from his mistakes.

Incidentally, speaking of Happy Clappers I see they are rushing to agree with Anthony O'Connor that it was the fans fault we lost last, absolving McInnes of any blame. Fox ache.

2 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

If you are on Twitter have a look at the #AberdeenFC #McInnes hashtags. "At least he's not McGhee" was played fairly regularly last night.

Let's be clear, McInnes is a vast, vast improvement on McGhee & Broony and Jimmy Calderwood. However, regardless of how bad McGhee was it has no bearing on McInnes' record, or shouldn't. It's every bit as damaging as comparing managers to Alex Ferguson was in the 90s and early 2000s.

Having mentioned Ferguson, though...he learned from his mistakes. As do all good manager/coaches. In his early years in Europe Fergie's teams made some eye catching blunders but he learned and improved and polished the team and his tactics. Granted, we can't compare McInnes to Ferguson or that era to this but I just feel that McInnes keeps making the same errors over and over. The best performance we had against Roger's Celtic (IMO) was the 2017 Cup Final where we got in their faces rather than standing off and competed well into the second half. AFC could have won that Cup Final, the only one against Celtic I feel I can honestly say that.

Since then though, it seems like AFC have resorted to type - stand off, hope for a set-piece and watch as the roof caves in with a moment of lost concentration or a missed assignment.

I'll say it again. I think McInnes has it in him to be an even better manager but he has to take on board and learn from his mistakes.

Incidentally, speaking of Happy Clappers I see they are rushing to agree with Anthony O'Connor that it was the fans fault we lost last, absolving McInnes of any blame. Fox ache.

There's far more evidence to suggest the support who frequent twitter are complete and utter imbeciles who could barely be more negative if they tried.

As a total neutral, but living in the area, I went along to all three home Europa games - a bit of novelty interest seeing teams from other countries.

Last night was about going for it from the start. You did. The opening was good to watch.

But of course, the consequence of that is that there's always the risk of them getting one on a breakaway against the run of play. Which is exactly what happened. And in advance it was obvious that if it ever got to 0-1 it was going to be all over. You had to take the risk, you did, which was great, just unfortunate that it didn't work. So the last 81 minutes are then just a dead rubber and should be judged as such, rather than folk on here getting critical of anything that happened then. I'm even surprised that you didn't just cut your losses straightaway after that 9th-minute goal and sub off players immediately to save them for upcoming matches that do matter - those last 81 minutes were an irrelevance and should only be discussed in that context.

There's a reason that clubs get coefficeients that they do, and you were facing a much stronger side at 13.500 than you are at 5.500. No shame at all losing to them. Look at it the other way round - what an amazing result it was knocking them out the other year.

Chin up.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's far more evidence to suggest the support who frequent twitter are complete and utter imbeciles who could barely be more negative if they tried.

Yeah

Good point. Will definitely read again.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Well that just proves my point.

You need to take a break from here instead of lashing out and getting angry.

Can't blame him for being bemused when you didn't even understand the point you made in your initial trolling attempt. Or you were just deflecting as you couldn't back up what you said is more likely.

Edited by Rodhull