The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 19/20

Frank Grimes

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hold on.

Both Aberdeen and UEFA's websites have us at home next Thursday night. 

Is that right ? I thought the ties had been switched ? 

Someone better tell Derek as he thinks we're away next week given the interviews he did last night.

I think the fact Chikhura use the same stadium as Dinamo Tbilisi for European matches means it will be switched.

UEFA.com still have Gabala v Dinamo Tbilisi as happening in Azerbaijan next week - so one of them will be switched, and all the talk was it had been pretty much confirmed it would be Chikhura.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2019/07/19/europa-league-qr2-info/

UEFA Europa League Qualifying Round 2, First Leg
FC Chikhura Sachkhere v Aberdeen
Boris Paichadze Dinamo Arena, Tblisi
Thursday 25th July 2019
8pm KO (Local time)

UEFA Europa League Qualifying Round 2, Second Leg
Aberdeen v FC Chikhura Sachkhere
Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Thursday 1st August 2019
7.45pm KO

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

They will be given their recent scalps include Turkish and Israeli opposition - and playing technical players in hot weather can be a problem for us.

I had a feeling we'd lose a goal last night and the fact it happened so early at least dispelled any notion of hanging on for a 0-0, which would have made for an excrutiating last 20.

Cosgrove is at least there for the chances, and despite the glaring misses in both legs, still has 2 goals to his name already.

I thought the rest of the side were relatively efficient, with Ferguson and Campbell both doing very well considering the worries over the young midfield.  Is Lingman 'worth a look' ?

Reading the Heikkinen interview in the programme last week he was saying the players in Finland get paid nothing. I'm guessing by that less than £1k/week.

A wee £75k bid plus loan until January is a fair shout on a speculative basis. He has another year beyond that before being out of contract. He may well be one we keep an eye on for the next 6-18 months.

UEFA have announced the groups for the next round of the draw. Some cracking ties in there if Aberdeen can get through

1 PSV Eindhoven (NED) / FC Basel 1893 (SUI)
2 Connah's Quay Nomads FC (WAL) / FK Partizan (SRB)
3 FC Flora Tallinn (EST) / Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
4 HNK Rijeka (CRO)
5 AS Jeunesse Esch (LUX) / Vitória SC (POR)

UEFA have announced the groups for the next round of the draw. Some cracking ties in there if Aberdeen can get through

4 HNK Rijeka (CRO)

Struggle to win any of those to be honest.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

4 HNK Rijeka (CRO)

Partizan would be the ideal draw for Aberdeen.  Means if they beat them they'd be seeded for QR4 plus Partizan really aren't that good at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Struggle to win any of those to be honest.

I think we’d have a decent chance vs Partizan tbh. They’re fairly regular in the group stages but it’s mainly been after getting pumped out champions league qualifying then getting a soft draw in the EL playoff round. Last year they had two easy qualifying rounds before beating Nordsjælland, who I’d probably fancy us against, and understandably getting pumped out by Besiktas. They also finished a full 30 points behind first place in the Serbian top flight so I suspect they are not the team they were 2/3 years ago. 

Rijeka are a very good team, but at least we know we can beat them I guess. They did get pumped out in QR3 by Sarpsborg of norway last year and would be going in cold to the same stage again. Think that definitely played in our favour last time and I’d hope it would again.

Definitely do not want PSV/Basel or Frankfurt 😬 (at least in terms of progression). They would however be cracking teams to play. Vitoria would be another great tie and would likely beat us, but I’d take them ahead of the other two potential ties.

18 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Partizan would be the ideal draw for Aberdeen.  Means if they beat them they'd be seeded for QR4 plus Partizan really aren't that good at the moment

Partizan will struggle to get through then if they're below par at the moment as that Connah's Quay bunch put out a tasty team in the last round apparently. 🤨