Runners and Riders.... Next PM.

27 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I would think he slightly better odds to become pm in that they expect borris to win the leadership contest, and the VOC goes against him, meaning he quits as party leader, hunt takes over for a GE and potentially wins.

That scenario playing out seems pretty unlikely tho but does explain the odds difference.

It might not even take a GE iirc vote of no confidence rules, 14 days to form a government? Borris party leader, immediate vote of no confidence before he steps in, torries scramble and DUP agrees government but only with hunt in charge.

Not sure where you get the idea that Hunt will be more appealing to the DUP than Johnson.  The DUP will totally support Johnson in a confidence vote.

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure where you get the idea that Hunt will be more appealing to the DUP than Johnson.  The DUP will totally support Johnson in a confidence vote.

It's feasible they trust Hunt more than Johnson, having dealt with him as Health and Foreign Minister. Johnson was invited to the DUP conference where the main thrust of his speech was "Junk the Backstop", then he voted for it in March. You're probably right though.

It’s not so much that i think they’d support hunt over Johnston, but it’s a scenario the bookies need to cover themselves for.

That said if I was Arlene foster(thank f**k I’m not) I would have no confidence that Johnston wouldn’t chuck you under a bus and either send you into civil war with a hard border or put customs checks on goods from NI into mainland UK.

The first thing she should do once the Tory leader is decided is bang on their door and find out what they are doing about the border. She can kill their stewardship before it’s begun if they don’t have a good answer.

The second thing she should do is look in the mirror and realise what a horrible person she is and go about changing her bigoted ways(and then watch the pigs flying outside her window)

It’s not so much that i think they’d support hunt over Johnston, but it’s a scenario the bookies need to cover themselves for.

That said if I was Arlene foster(thank f**k I’m not) I would have no confidence that Johnston wouldn’t chuck you under a bus and either send you into civil war with a hard border or put customs checks on goods from NI into mainland UK.

The first thing she should do once the Tory leader is decided is bang on their door and find out what they are doing about the border. She can kill their stewardship before it’s begun if they don’t have a good answer.

The second thing she should do is look in the mirror and realise what a horrible person she is and go about changing her bigoted ways(and then watch the pigs flying outside her window)
If the DUP bring the Government down they are finished. They have the golden goose now and would be foolish if they rock the boat.

If the DUP bring the Government down they are finished. They have the golden goose now and would be foolish if they rock the boat.

What use is their limited power if their not willing to pull the trigger? Having NI on the same terms as rUK is the essence of their being, if they feel that’s under treat they will start to cause fuss.

What use is their limited power if their not willing to pull the trigger? Having NI on the same terms as rUK is the essence of their being, if they feel that’s under treat they will start to cause fuss.
Was really refering to the thought process above that the DUP were more likely to bring Johnson down than Hunt. I can see them blocking policy but not voting the government down. Orange turkeys don't vote for [emoji319][emoji319][emoji319]

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that while Johnson has announced a review into the sugar tax, his key advisor Will Walden has been paid by Coca Cola to help them lobby against it. 

Johnson in 2015:

"Overwhelmingly people  most affected by an obesity problem will be those on the lowest incomes. That’s why I’m thinking about sugar taxes."

Johnson in 2019:

"The recent proposal for a tax on milkshakes seems to me to clobber those who can least afford it."

Johnson and c**t are both in Perth tomorrow night, speaking to local members at the concert hall.

It absolutely enrages me that so many morons in Perth Still back the Tories.

Hunt's and Johnson's claims that they can get the EU to change their position over the backstop is a lie.  They know it's a lie and anyone with the slightest knowledge of what has been happening over the Brexit issue knows it's a lie.

Do Conservative Party members genuinely believe it?  Are they really so gullible?

If ever a snapshot of what we are dealing with was required, enter Jeremy Hunt seeking to gain votes from people in the same party as him by offering a vote on lifting the ban of fox hunting.

There will still be fucking cretins who read the Sun and think the tories give a shit about them, but there is the reality of the Tory Party right there.

One who seeks to lead them is currying favour with the Tory masses by offering resumption of posh people maiming small animals in the name of tradition. Scum.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Hunt's and Johnson's claims that they can get the EU to change their position over the backstop is a lie.  They know it's a lie and anyone with the slightest knowledge of what has been happening over the Brexit issue knows it's a lie.

Do Conservative Party members genuinely believe it?  Are they really so gullible?

Obviously the thinking is if No Deal is left on the table the EU will cave and offer to renogotiate at the last minute - after all they need us so much more than we need them.

Unfortunately large numbers of Tory Party members who will get to chose our next PM are that gullible.

Wouldn't surprise me if Johnson or Hunt get some kind of fudge from the EU over the backstop to allow them to push through May's deal. A no deal brexit would mean the EU having to impose some kind of border in Ireland which would force them to find the kind of "alternative arrangements" they've been saying don't exist, to protect both the Single Market and the Good Friday Agreement. Whether that would be enough for the Parliamentary arithmetic is far from certain though.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Obviously the thinking is if No Deal is left on the table the EU will cave and offer to renogotiate at the last minute - after all they need us so much more than we need them.

Unfortunately large numbers of Tory Party members who will get to chose our next PM are that gullible.

Loads of Tory members aren't bothered, they want a no deal Brexit anyway.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One who seeks to lead them is currying favour with the Tory masses by offering resumption of posh people maiming small animals in the name of tradition. Scum.

You say maim, but ripped to shreds is maybe more accurate. Another great English tradition that will help them make Britain Great again. The more they pander to those who hark back to some mythical golden age, so more people up here realise an independent Scotland can offer so much more, free from the likes of Hunt and Johnson.

Merkel is apparently willing to renegotiate if need be and she has taken control of the Commission this week so the outlook might change on that front.
Hunt suggesting sanctions on China is a belter. I'm sure they will be terrified. 
Farage will not pass the chance of comment on Merkel taking control of the Commission

46 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

arage will not pass the chance of comment on Merkel taking control of the Commission

The German got the job in a stitch up with the Visegrad countries who are pals with Nigel. 

The BBC coverage of the appointments amounted to announcing who got the job with zero context. Not a great look for Remainers trying to sell democracy within the EU. 

Yes.

It looks as if Hammond is going as soon as the result is announced.

"The Commons has been clear already that it does not support a no deal exit. That is my position, and as a backbencher I will continue to argue against a no deal exit."

Have I been in a cave and missed his resignation statement? Assume he will be replaced by someone like Raab.