Runners and Riders.... Next PM.

Their duty to be impartial trumps everything.  They can inform every day.  Why does a debate the public cannot take part in have to be aired to the public?  You're full of shit and clutching at straws.  An adult would simply admit they were wrong.
So you don't want the debate to happen at all? Or you don't want the media to cover it?

Just to be clear, tonight's debate was on channel 4. Tuesday's debate is on the BBC.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

So you don't want the debate to happen at all? Or you don't want the media to cover it?

Just to be clear, tonight's debate was on channel 4. Tuesday's debate is on the BBC.

I'm aware of that.  

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
15 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
I usually buy The Guardian on train journeys and I'm a touch over the average age.  That aside, it's pretty-much accurate.  Problem?

Who would you choose kincy?

The obvious candidate would have been Hammond as he's probably the only sensible Tory left.

Of the remaining candidates Rory Stewart is closest to my own political views but there's not a hope in hell of him getting to the last two - it will be between Boris and Gove and may not even get to a membership vote.

This doesn't really answer your question because I respect none of them.

Barring some huge unforeseen calamity for him Johnson is going to win the vote of Tory members and become the next PM.  I want that journey to be as uncomfortable as possible, for as much division as possible to be created amongst Tories, particularly Tory MPs and for him to be under as much scrutiny as possible when he assumes the role.

He is wholly unsuited for the post, despised by many politicians and officials in the the EU and resented and distrusted by a small, but significant, number of Tory MPs.

I think a GE is inevitable and I don’t think there will be a majority in the new Parliament for Brexit.

1 hour ago, BillyAnchor said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

According to those figures 50% of Tory members don't read the Telegraph or Daily Mail. That's the real surprise!

The Tories have lost a lot of members in the last few months. The last official figure was 120,000.  Rumours suggest that the real membership is around 60,000. His figures seem to  be out of date. Did he give a source and date?

Btw, Prof Tim Bale is male, white, social class ABC1 and aged 53. He's obviously someone who should not have a say on who becomes the next PM. ;) Or is he just another sanctimonious, ageist and sexist hypocrite who writes for The Guardian?

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Here's a wee poem that Boris published in The Spectator in 2004. I wonder if it reflects his views, and if it will help his ambition to "unite" the UK after Brexit

Friendly Fire - By James Michie

The Scotch - what a verminous race!

Canny, pushy, chippy, they're all over the place,

Battening off us with false bonhomie,

Polluting our stock,undermining our economy.

Down with sandy hair and knobbly knees!

Suppress the tartan dwarves and the Wee Frees!

Ban the kilt, the skean-dhu and the sporran

As provocatively, offensively foreign!

It's time Hadrian's Wall was refortified

To pen them in a ghetto on the other side.

I would go further. The nation

Deserves not merely isolation

But comprehensive extermination.

We must not flinch from a solution.

(I await legal prosecution.)

33 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

According to those figures 50% of Tory members don't read the Telegraph or Daily Mail. That's the real surprise!

I’m sure you could allocate the rest to The Express, The Times and The Sun.

1 hour ago, BillyAnchor said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

I usually buy The Guardian on train journeys and I'm a touch over the average age.  That aside, it's pretty-much accurate.  Problem?

It's not a problem to me if you identify as 30% non-male and 3% non-white. That's your own decision to make, and I'll uphold your desire to self-ID.

Best of luck in your gender & genetic fluidity :thumsup2

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

It's not a problem to me if you identify as 30% non-male and 3% non-white. That's your own decision to make, and I'll uphold your desire to self-ID.

That explains his nickname - Kincy! 8)

55 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Just watched it on catch up. Was surprised at how amateurish most of them were at doing a sales pitch or answering a basic interview question, like what have you failed at. Thought that was their job as politicians, it looked like first day of interviews at Arnold Clarke. I'd give first to Stewart, 2nd to Hunt. Gove trying to be macho about the one time he was allowed to face Corbyn at the dispatch box was excruciatingly cringey. Javid, the man who did more than most to f**k the economy and got rich from the crash pretending to be a little poor boy made me nearly vomit.  Raab is just thick as f**k and doesn't know what he's doing, he was Brexit Secretary ffs. Hunt is as bland and smiley as he always is, eager to seem nice and reasonable while trying to lay off the blame for shafting the junior doctors on faulty communication from his underlings. Stewart did his usual benevolent aristocrat in the Macmillan mode who really understands the needs of his footman because he listens to him, unlike those blind extremists from both sides who have lost William Blake's vision of our tolerant, green and pleasant land. Boris will walk it.

Just watched it on catch up. Was surprised at how amateurish most of them were at doing a sales pitch or answering a basic interview question, like what have you failed at. Thought that was their job as politicians, it looked like first day of interviews at Arnold Clarke. I'd give first to Stewart, 2nd to Hunt. Gove trying to be macho about the one time he was allowed to face Corbyn at the dispatch box was excruciatingly cringey. Javid, the man who did more than most to f**k the economy and got rich from the crash pretending to be a little poor boy made me nearly vomit.  Raab is just thick as f**k and doesn't know what he's doing, he was Brexit Secretary ffs. Hunt is as bland and smiley as he always is, eager to seem nice and reasonable while trying to lay off the blame for shafting the junior doctors on faulty communication from his underlings. Stewart did his usual benevolent aristocrat in the Macmillan mode who really understands the needs of his footman because he listens to him, unlike those blind extremists from both sides who have lost William Blake's vision of our tolerant, green and pleasant land. Boris will walk it.
A pretty good summing up but I'm not sure Boris will walk it.

I don't think the Tory membership is quite as wide-eyed as folk think. This isn't the brexit party voting, and there was a significant cheer when javid claimed that you don't beat them by being like them (when discussing how to beat the brexit party under farage).

21 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Here's a wee poem that Boris published in The Spectator in 2004. I wonder if it reflects his views, and if it will help his ambition to "unite" the UK after Brexit

A small consolation is the author died in 2007.  So that's nice.  

Unionists genuinely are craven, can you imagine even wanting to live in a state where printing stuff like that in a mainstream supposedly acceptable publication is okay?

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think the Tory membership is quite as wide-eyed as folk think. This isn't the brexit party voting, and there was a significant cheer when javid claimed that you don't beat them by being like them (when discussing how to beat the brexit party under farage).

I live in hope, but that was a supposedly undecided audience and the Tory party membership is thought to be on the Neanderthal edge of Tory voter thinking even before the UKIP entryists. I'd love it if we're all proven wrong and there are quiet mutterings at the hustings saying "Hang on, Boris is an arsehole, nothing he says makes any sense whatsoever, he's taking the pish.".

16 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

14 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That explains his nickname - Kincy8)

Thanks, chaps!  We 'One Nation' Tories appreciate your continued interest.

Just a shame that the eminently likeable Rory Stewart will probably get bum's-rush in the selection phase.

Don't like to speak ill of the dead so RIP but it looks like he's from Scottish background with a name like that. No doubt a self loathing Stockholm simpleton p***k when alive

He will walk it.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

Looks like he's from Scottish background with a name like that. No doubt a self loathing Stockholm simpleton p***k

I'm not aware of any Scottish links, just his racist poem.

From his Guardian Obituary

"James Michie, poet and translator, born June 24 1927; died October 30 2007

He was born in Weybridge, Surrey, the second of three children of James Michie, a banker, and his wife Marjorie (née Crain)... ...He went to school at Marlborough, then read classics at Trinity College, Oxford."