Runners and Riders.... Next PM.

No, running a piss poor campaign that made people feel safe to vote Labour in key Tory marginals was what lost them their majority. Corbyn still lost the election. Badly.
Honestly, declaring 2017 a triumphant victory for Corbyn is straight out the Ruth Davidson book of also-ran politics.
There is only one Labour leader who inspired fear in the Tories and made them screech and reach for the centre ground of British politics.
His name is Tony Blair.
Here's me thinking you were thinking Gordon Brown 🤣[emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

There is only one Labour leader who inspired fear in the Tories and made them screech and reach for the centre ground of British politics.

His name is Tony Blair.

Harold Wilson was labour leader during the last half century (until 1976, if I recall correctly). He was a far better leader than Blair, in my opinion, and like Blair, won 3 elections; albeit with smaaller majorities or no outright majotiry at all.

It just shows how much the centre has drifted rightwards - Wilson was considered part of the 'soft left' at the time.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Honestly, declaring 2017 a triumphant victory for Corbyn is straight out the Ruth Davidson book of also-ran politics.

Although the Scottish Tories salvaged power for May, not sure if Davidson helped at all.

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Rory Stewart coming across really well on the Andrew Marr show. Talking an awful lot of sense.

Looking forward to seeing him having a good go at Boris on the forthcoming TV debate.

He's the only choice of Tory leader that I could support - not that I have any say in it anyway. 

Stewart is an intellectual Goliath compared to the "talented" (what does that even mean in politics?) Johnson.

Why do people feel the need to pick a favourite Tory? Any justice will see them all hanged for their role in perpetuating austerity and the needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

Because many people vaguely interested in politics are balanced and reasonable, and not prone to over-reactions and glib generalisations.

We live in a pluralist society and ideas are often nuanced. My old dad is a card-carrying communist and yet we're inviting the local Tory MP to his 80th birthday party next week (they worked together to provide funding for a community project and have a shared interest in Burns).

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Because many people vaguely interested in politics are balanced and reasonable, and not prone to over-reactions and glib generalisations.

We live in a pluralist society and ideas are often nuanced. My old dad is a card-carrying communist and yet we're inviting the local Tory MP to his 80th birthday party next week (they worked together to provide funding for a community project and have a shared interest in Burns).

Your attempts at being reasonable really piss me off.

Rory Stewart is the Prime Minister for the sort of people who travelled to America to campaign for Hillary Clinton. 
Probably them too, but surely any right minded and sensible pardon would choose him over the other candidates in the race?

(I'm not having any of the "aye but Boris will bring independence sooner" shit. There are loads of unknown and unintended consequences but who is the best choice for prime minister?)

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Probably them too, but surely any right minded and sensible pardon would choose him over the other candidates in the race?

(I'm not having any of the "aye but Boris will bring independence sooner" shit. There are loads of unknown and unintended consequences but who is the best choice for prime minister?)

“Right minded and sensible”.  Then it’s good that this will be decided by about 120,000 Tory Party members.

53 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Jimmy Reid, surely one of Scotland's greatest ever sons, was also a communist party member and lover of Burns.

He died in 2010. I still miss him.

Jimmy Reid, surely one of Scotland's greatest ever sons, was also a communist party member and lover of Burns.
He died in 2010. I still miss him.
We could do with a couple of Jimmy reids in the Scottish parliament, and in Westminster.

“Right minded and sensible”.  Then it’s good that this will be decided by about 120,000 Tory Party members.
Notice that I didn't call the Tory electorate right minded sensible.

Although I'm not sure Tories have ever lacked intelligence. Compassion and coming decency is more their shortcomings.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Bojo was right to swerve this. He would have been eaten alive by Rory Stewart, not to mention this is looking very much like a race to finish second debate.

Gove playing the "I was adopted at 4 months old card"

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Bojo was right to swerve this. He would have been eaten alive by Rory Stewart, not to mention this is looking very much like a race to finish second debate.

You’re absolutely right.

We should be delighted that the guy who is most likely to be the next PM is frightened to take part in a televised debate.

Spoiler

You fucking arsehole.