Runners and Riders.... Next PM.

I imagine the only card Hunt will have to play if he’s in the final two is continually point out what an awful foreign secretary Johnson was and how, by comparison, he is doing a much better job in the role.

Not that it’ll make much difference. I think the members ballot will break roughly 2:1 to Johnson.

Anybody else think that it won't actually be Johnson, but a Hunt or Gove?

It's a common tory tactic to make it seem like all hell is about to freeze over, only for them to present the "not so bad" outcome. In doing so, the next PM gains greater acceptance from the public on the account of it not being Boris Johnson.

20 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

It's a common tory tactic to make it seem like all hell is about to freeze over, only for them to present the "not so bad" outcome. In doing so, the next PM gains greater acceptance from the public on the account of it not being Boris Johnson.

No, it will definitely be Boris.

Ever since that poll which predicted that in a GE, the Tories would romp home with a 160 majority with him as PM.

I mentioned elsewhere that I keep running into people in this area who tell me they've voted labour all their lives but would now vote for the Tories under Boris. They seem to think he will competently deliver the kind of hard Brexit they want to see.

Sorry boys (and girls) We're going to be stuck with Boris because that's what England wants. We all know what the answer in Scotland is.

I can’t see it.

Johnson definitely is a polarising figure even with the Conservative membership though. Back in my member days, I remember being at conference a few years ago and a couple of people beside me walked out the room when he appeared on stage. People in my former local association either love him or think he’s a complete idiot.

Johnson will win with the membership, but it’ll be the last straw for a lot of moderate members who will leave the party. Though I’ve no doubt he’ll be able to attract new idiots to the party to replace them.

2 minutes ago, Sooky said:

I can’t see it.

Johnson definitely is a polarising figure even with the Conservative membership though. Back in my member days, I remember being at conference a few years ago and a couple of people beside me walked out the room when he appeared on stage. People in my former local association either love him or think he’s a complete idiot.

Johnson will win with the membership, but it’ll be the last straw for a lot of moderate members who will leave the party. Though I’ve no doubt he’ll be able to attract new idiots to the party to replace them.

What does it feel like to be the member/voter of a party with these type of "characters" involved in it who hold such prominent positions?

BJ is the one most likely to mitigate the threat of the Brexit Party hoovering up enough votes to split the right and allow Labour in.  That's why he'll win. They won't give a f**k about the wider consequences - only the party matters. 

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

BJ is the one most likely to mitigate the threat of the Brexit Party hoovering up enough votes to split the right and allow Labour in.  That's why he'll win. They won't give a f**k about the wider consequences - only the party matters. 

But will Labour under Corbyn win in a GE?

See here :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-poll-tory-leadership-race-election-corbyn-conservatives-a8954861.html

Edited by ICTJohnboy

This.

Only hope is that the pressure on him hiding ramps up, he does a Prince Phillip gaff, explodes under scrutiny and has a full blown heads gone live on Tv.

From all accounts Johnson’s popularity and credibility in the EU are both VERY low.

I’m sure he will receive the same respect that any other British PM but his bluff and bluster will receive a fairly cool response.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

From all accounts Johnson’s popularity and credibility in the EU are both VERY low.

I’m sure he will receive the same respect that any other British PM but his bluff and bluster will receive a fairly cool response.

Hence he will get the No Deal Brexit he seems to want, only he will call it a managed No Deal Brexit.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Presuming that Johnston becomes PM, we'll now have 2 men as President of the USA and PM of the UK who are easily influenced, unstable, self-indulgent fools, both with a 5 minute attention span.

Somebody, somewhere, is benefiting from this. I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theorists.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He's well remembered for his disastrous spell as Foreign Secretary.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Hence he will get the No Deal Brexit he seems to want, only he will call it a managed No Deal Brexit.

I can accuse Johnson of many things but stupidity is not one of them.  He doesn’t want No Deal; he knows if it happens then it will be a disaster and he will be the first in the firing line.

That doesn’t mean he would not ‘accept’ it.

He’s playing to the gallery and hoping that Westminster will save him from himself.

He probably does believe that he can call a GE and win a majority.  He’s maybe not thought through what the implications of a majority is yet.

Maybe the Tories are double bluffing. The EU won't give May any concessions because they know she doesn't want a no deal brexit. But Johnston is daft enough to go for it so they might give him something. Although it might just be a tax free home in Monaco. 

Edited by thisal

Peston thinks the members might not get a vote.

Before this Tory leadership election started, the party’s grandees and custodians were telling me party members MUST at all costs be given a choice of candidates to be leader and our next prime minister.

Now they tell me Boris Johnson is so far ahead - both among MPs and seemingly among the membership - that it would politically insane to stick to the current timetable of two candidates beating each other up in public, in front of mostly retired white men, for four weeks.

“At a time when we face the greatest test for generations [delivering Brexit], the spectacle of two middle-aged men scrapping for the votes of our members, who are not exactly a perfect representation of this country, would be catastrophic - for confidence in us and in politics in general," I was told.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-06-13/why-tory-members-ballot-on-boris-johnson-may-be-culled-or-truncated-writes-robert-peston/

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
Here's a question
Boris is shite. Boris is an idiot. I know this. You know this. Every piece of media coverage I've ever seen of him marks him out as an idiot. Why is he winning this?

Because Tories are different to normal people on a DNA level. If a thing is worst for everybody that's what they want.

No it’s because they know he’s the most likely candidate to beat Jeremy Corbyn outright in a General Election.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

No it’s because they know he’s the most likely candidate to beat Jeremy Corbyn outright in a General Election.

That is true, but I feel a GE would have to be called within weeks, or maybe months of him taking over.

Give him much longer than that and he will more than likely screw everything up and put the ball back in Labour's court.