League 2 Prediction with outside bets

1 hour ago, big al said:

Noticed Kelty had a home crowd of around 300 a week or so ago, possibly for a midweek game. Seems they don’t have the support size of Cove, probably more like Cowdens which makes it tough in League 2 to survive.

I'm guessing you're talking about Cove's SPFL2 attendances. When in the Highland League they weren't getting the 700 average they're getting just now. Nowhere near that. 

It was mentioned in a Gretna thread they went from 97 to 400+ when they joined the SFL. And that was before Mileson's money.

A jump in attendance is pretty typical from regional to national. The story is true of Edinburgh City, Annan and I'm thinking pretty sure of the Highland League clubs that joined the SFL.

Kelty in the Lowland League are pulling in bigger average attendances than anyone that joined this century.

What uptick they see if they make the SPFL might not peak to Cove's numbers but they're starting from a better number.

20 hours ago, kefc said:

Population of of 6000 but we are certainly punching above our weight compared to clubs in towns 3 times our size.

Higher average attendances than alot in bigger town clubs, sell out 50 hospitality spaces for every home game, have sponsors boards all around the ground from companies in and outside the village, fill a Social Club every home game all from a wee viallage.

That doesn’t come by mucking around, it comes through very hard work, we try to do things properly within a community based spirit and we always look to improve when we can. People and supporters love that approach and it can attract growth. Not looking for pats on the back but we don’t deserve to be shot at when clubs in much bigger towns can’t get it right.

Just be careful because it’s ‘punching above your weight’ that could be the problem. No issue with a bit of ambition but Gretna is only the most egregious example of where the project wasn’t sustainable and it all ended in tears. No-one wishes a bad end to a well-intentioned project but I hope all these initiatives (and wages?) are being costed against current income and not speculated against the prospect of a league place because as others have already said, it will be more expensive in the SPFL and it will be tough to get there in the first place at the first time of asking. Does whoever funds the club have the appetite for 2 or 3 years of big losses before they make the step up, a la Cove? If league 1 and 2 clubs are losing players in bidding wars to LL teams as has been widely reported then there is a lot of money being spunked on unsustainable wage bills not just by Kelty but most obviously also by East Stirlingshire. Good luck to anyone who has a genuinely sustainable setup that could flourish in L2 but please spare us any more expensive, short-lived vanity projects that end up letting everyone down. (Says a nervous Brechin fan 😬)

Edit: AND - you are in the good times now but you really can’t project based on that. Gates have to be looked at in context of a potential 5 game losing run while one of the big teams around you is doing well and drawing the casual support away. 

Edited by Infirmary Street
Updated

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm guessing you're talking about Cove's SPFL2 attendances. When in the Highland League they weren't getting the 700 average they're getting just now. Nowhere near that. 

It was mentioned in a Gretna thread they went from 97 to 400+ when they joined the SFL. And that was before Mileson's money.

A jump in attendance is pretty typical from regional to national. The story is true of Edinburgh City, Annan and I'm thinking pretty sure of the Highland League clubs that joined the SFL.

Kelty in the Lowland League are pulling in bigger average attendances than anyone that joined this century.

What uptick they see if they make the SPFL might not peak to Cove's numbers but they're starting from a better number.

Cove averaged 400+ last year at home . I’d imagine that Kelty being close to other teams in the area would get  good attendances from away fans likewise they would take a decent away support.

Travelling to Annan is a fair old hike, saying that if Brora came up .........?

15 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Kelty travelled there midweek a few months back, played a league game there last season as well. Could add league games at Gretna and Dalbeattie this season.

That’s right Cove had to trail off to Brora then Wales that was a seven hour trip each way! Things you do ......

8 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Edinburgh city crowds are woeful and don’t think Annan get a lot either but I may be wrong.

• 1 month later...
Hopefully this is the year that boring, Tory, bumpkin village of Brechin has its football team flushed into the Highland League where it belongs. An encouraging start yesterday. 
5b6d5410-c8cd-4376-80d3-465b75fe7a95.jpg.1da51b31aff465ea705a9fabc3e7a02c.jpg

Never mind yesterday’s pointless charade - February 1 2020 will in fact go down as the day when an insular rabble were sent spinning decisively out of a vastly superior larger setup.

Bring on Brexit.

065fa35e-80b5-4de2-ad54-43675ea2ef1e.jpg

3 hours ago, virginton said:

9 (nine) points adrift at the bottom of the national league system with just thirteen games left to play. Finally we’ll get a Brexit that the public - and Scottish football - has been demanding.

IMG_3207.jpg

I bet your computer screen and keyboard took some cleaning just after you posted that piece of literary  genius. 

I can't see Kelty or Brora beating Brechin. I don't think they are good enough. Bonnyrigg though are a different proposition. I can see them running Brechin close. Brechin are better than Berwick were and better than we were when we finished bottom twice.

As I have said before, good luck to Kelty, but the money required to compete in league 2 is far greater and I am not convinced that the people attending now will continue to do so when they have to pay league prices. You would of course get the first season novelty affect.

How many does the hospitality sell out amount to? Also, where does the owner make his money nowadays? 

I can't see Kelty or Brora beating Brechin. I don't think they are good enough. Bonnyrigg though are a different proposition. I can see them running Brechin close. Brechin are better than Berwick were and better than we were when we finished bottom twice.

Bonnyrigg are the worst placed of those three teams, so that argument makes absolutely no sense. You also don’t need to be a Berwick-style rabble to lose a playoff: they managed that by eight clear goals or something in the end.

They’re fucked regardless.

b9faf552-0b32-4474-a64b-7cc9e7100a08.jpg.c2d5e1c6457c440f5dfa39118f438694.jpg

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Bonnyrigg are the worst placed of those three teams, so that argument makes absolutely no sense. You also don’t need to be a Berwick-style rabble to lose a playoff: they managed that by eight clear goals or something in the end.

They’re fucked regardless.

b9faf552-0b32-4474-a64b-7cc9e7100a08.jpg.c2d5e1c6457c440f5dfa39118f438694.jpg

Because they have two games in hand. Also, Bonnyrigg and Kelty still have to play each other twice. As always with the Lowland League, it will come down to the games between the top two. I think Bonnyrigg will win the Lowland League (sorry Kelty).  Of course you can still lose a play off if you are a decent side, but Brechin are, in my opinion, far better than any of the other side's which finished bottom of League 2.

The cold, hard facts suggest that the Brechin bumpkins are not in fact better, what with them being hopelessly marooned to the bottom two-thirds through the campaign. And the standard below has only increased since your brush with going down for good.

It’s time.

fa33c257-70ae-41d9-bf43-5648448f7226.jpg