League 2 Prediction with outside bets

1 hour ago, PELE said:

Is Blair Henderson injured? I don't think he has played since late last season.

He was carrying an injury - he didn't play in the last three games of last season.  The manager isn't going to rush him back into the squad but expects him to be ok for the start of the League season.

hoping for 9-2ish for Cove, but 7-4 across the boards, bookies are rarely wrong and although not convinced by Hartley, will be surprised if they don't win the title but better value betting them to win individual games than 7-4 over the season

7 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Aren't usually one of the relegated teams favourites to win the league. That happened to Cowden a few seasons back and we all know what happened there.

Bookies are rarely wrong? Aye right. They don't have a clue when it comes to SPL2.

Correct. Bookies constantly get it wrong. Cove were not favourites to start with. Only because money has been lumped on them are they now favourites.

4 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Cove or Edinburgh for the title. Unsure on the rest but one thing I am sure of - no fucker will be as hopelessly inept as Berwick Rangers were last season.

The Albion Rovers defence against the Pars on Wednesday night would run them close. Although things improved the 2nd half when Goodfellow had to go off injured and central defender Krones was hooked at half time.

Just a point of clarification. The bookies opened at 9/2 for Cove. It was the flood of money that made them change to around 7/4. Therefore it won’t be the bookies that have got it wrong it’ll be the punter. Just saying.

Edit to add- If indeed it is wrong. Cove might go on and win it. We shall see.

5 hours ago, marello said:

bookies are rarely wrong 

Absolute fucking nonsense. They're wrong all the time. Here are some pre-tournament odds for the 2018 world cup. The three favourites (which were more or less the three favourites amongst most bookies from what I can find) didn't even make the semis.

Brazil                            9/2
Germany                      19/4
Spain                            6/1
France                          13/2

Just imagine if bookies were actually "rarely" wrong. Just stick massive amounts on the favourites avery year. You'll rarely lose so as long as the odds are better than even, you should be a millionaire in no time.

Edited by Gordon EF

Absolute fucking nonsense. They're wrong all the time. Here are some pre-tournament odds for the 2018 world cup. The three favourites (which were more or less the three favourites amongst most bookies from what I can find) didn't even make the semis.
Brazil                            9/2
Germany                      19/4
Spain                            6/1
France                          13/2
Just imagine if bookies were actually "rarely" wrong. Just stick massive amounts on the favourites avery year. You'll rarely lose so as long as the odds are better than even, you should be a millionaire in no time.

If the bookies were always wrong well there would be no bookies. Their book is made up by calculating risk and changing the odds to suit. If they run the book without risk then they will show 5% to 10% profit whoever wins. It’s invariably the punter that makes the odds. You’re welcome.

1 minute ago, onecowden said:

If the bookies were always wrong well there would be no bookies. Their book is made up by calculating risk and changing the odds to suit. If they run the book without risk then they will show 5% to 10% profit whoever wins. It’s invariably the punter that makes the odds. You’re welcome.

I never said they were always wrong though, did I? That's just as fucking ridiculous as saying they're rarely wrong.

Inevitably, most bookies will be "wrong" at a rate somewhere between 'always' and 'rarely'.

3 minutes ago, onecowden said:

The odds for Cove opened at 9/2. Why? They hadn’t done anything they hadn’t done before. And Cowden were something ridiculous.

I never said they were always wrong though, did I? That's just as fucking ridiculous as saying they're rarely wrong.
Inevitably, most bookies will be "wrong" at a rate somewhere between 'always' and 'rarely'.

You did say they were wrong all the time. Plus you’re avoiding my point. Apart from tissue prices bookmakers make their odds from punters betting habits and the money being placed. Market forces decide which price, not the bookie.

The odds for Cove opened at 9/2. Why? They hadn’t done anything they hadn’t done before. And Cowden were something ridiculous.

It’s called a tissue price. They have a stab at a price to see how the market goes. If they get inundated then the price retracts. If they don’t get any takers then the price gets bigger. What they want is an even book so every team gets money on them so they show a profit whoever wins.

17 minutes ago, onecowden said:

You did say they were wrong all the time. Plus you’re avoiding my point. Apart from tissue prices bookmakers make their odds from punters betting habits and the money being placed. Market forces decide which price, not the bookie.

Yes, and there's clearly a difference between being 'wrong all the time' and 'always being wrong'. 

I'm not avoiding your point at all. It's just got nothing to do with the point I was responding to or making. Clearly it's not only market forces that decide the odds, at least initially. Bookies have to release odds before bets can be placed. So they're going to try and make those as sensible as they can.