Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

3 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

The point is relevant if you take time to think it through.

Whilst their away support is less important, their home attendances are poor and outside the visits of Falkirk and Dunfermline are usually less than 500. So, that begs the question as to why they have been able to field a team which is x points above us with y better goal difference?

Is it quality of management in terms of being able to spot a player?

Is it quality of management in terms of being able to motivate a player?

Is it quality of Board member/staff member in terms of attracting commercial income?

Is it an after-effect of the whole David Goodwillie episode and some players just did not want to come here?

Have we wasted funds that could have been better utilised?

Is it none of the above or all of the above?

The number of people following the team is relevant to their current position and long term viability. It isn't a reason to point fingers, but it is certainly a reason to ask how they are flourishing on such meagre support?

I don't know how true it is but I heard a huge chunk of the David Goodwillie transfer fee was squandered for the most bizarre reasons

46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think there's much doubt Alan Maybury's done a very good job there, and they also got a wee bit of momentum early season which they kept going long enough to make sure they didn't at any point have to look over their shoulder. They are significantly externally supported though, or at least have been. I don't think crowds will have been that big a factor for them.

For what it's worth, we're clearly not at the support levels of a Falkirk or a Dunfermline, but both our visits to Edinburgh have been in the 600 - 650 attendance range too.

image.png.91c5ff7de53395a6a8828780751bffbf.png

1 hour ago, BWAClyde said:

Difficult to choose a player of the season this year but I had to go with Erik Sula.

Personally, Roberts for poty by a distance. In my opinion he's been heads and shoulders above any other Clyde player.

Edited by haufdaft

I would probably go for Jordan Allan even though he was only here half the season. Without his goals (QOS on the opening day to seal the win and draws against Dunfermline, Falkirk and Alloa) we'd probably be relegated already. Roberts deserves a wee mention too.

You can tell they were struggling for goal of the season nominees. Cunningham against QOS for me for the team move leading to the goal. His finish against Peterhead from the tight angle was excellent too right enough.

Haven’t seen a great deal this season but Roberts for me as well, he’s stood out every time. 

Went for Cunningham’s goal v Peterhead for goal of the season, but that’s probably the worst set of goals we’ve ever had 😂

13 hours ago, BWAClyde said:

Difficult to choose a player of the season this year but I had to go with Erik Sula.

Jesus Christ 😱 this guy must have a Labrador and a white stick.who did you vote second thicot and third Ollie McDonald.I’ve seen better boys club teams and player of the year.What a laughing stock.

1 hour ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Jesus Christ 😱 this guy must have a Labrador and a white stick.who did you vote second thicot and third Ollie McDonald.I’ve seen better boys club teams and player of the year.What a laughing stock.

Collie McDonald surely?

16 hours ago, BWAClyde said:

Sula is a bomb scare at times. Player of the season is probably still Jordan Allan despite him leaving in January. Kurtis Roberts out of the current squad for me but Cuddihy and Ray Grant have also been good when not injured. 

9 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

roberts is working his ticket to another league 1 team club  my words. His form only improved after Christmas

Robert’s is working his ticket to move to another league 1 club. His form only improved after Christmas when he got himself fit. I think he is the outstanding player of the entire league but it’s a shame he has  used us in this manor.

mark my words he will be with airdrie or kelty next season.

I think we have to really go for it at Dunfermline. Trying to contain them is not the answer.

Peterhead will reasonably expect us to lose I imagine and are well capable of nicking the points against a Kelty side struggling this past while.  Falkirk too have nothing to play for so it is entirely conceivable Blue Toon can take maximum 6 points if the door is still open after Saturday.

I'm glad we are not away to Montrose as that has been a scene of persistent failure for some time now.

In spite of the guff we have witnessed this season our squad are more than capable of securing the playoffs and surviving them.  For me, the issue is that we have to overcome clubs that are better run than ours and who don't view mere survival as some sort of achievement!

7 hours ago, Walk Glasgow said:

In spite of the guff we have witnessed this season our squad are more than capable of securing the playoffs and surviving them.  

I like your optimism but I just don't see where is coming from.

This squad may be capable of scraping 0-0 or the odd 1-1 but winning two ties, I'm not so sure.

Hopefully I'm wrong

That's the thing, SL Clyde:

You see it every season where teams that have had a dire campaign suddenly do the biz against all expectations right at the end.  Whether it is largely down to opponents with no incentive to compete or complacency with sides in party mode doesn't matter.

Corner a rat in a broom cupboard and trust me it won't roll over!

I would expect us to go for it and Peterhead to do likewise if/when we don't take our chances.

As for the (hopefully) playoffs, we have been mainly up against full time opposition all season so, without being disrespectful in any way, we should go into this expecting to prevail and chasing a win in both legs of the tie(s).

That said, if we go down without a whimper and there is neither the money, the strategy,  the demonstrable vision for the next campaign or (joke coming up) a "REAL businessman with investment" then it is Sayonara Clyde sooner rather than later.