Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

January 2018
Tom Lang, Ally Love, Jack Boyle (loan), Dylan Cogill (loan), Adam Martin (loan), Kyle Gourlay (loan), Steve Kipre, Ray Grant, Chris McStay.

Summer 2018
John Rankin, David Hopkirk, Joe Gorman, Eddie Ferns, Kieran Hughes, Jack Boyle, Scott Rumsby, Mark Lamont, Dylan Cogill, Declan Fitzpatrick, Karim Belmokhtar, Kristoffer Syvertsen, Ross Lyon.

January 2019
Scott Banks (loan).

Summer 2019
David Mitchell, Darren Smith, Tony Wallace, Chris Johnston, Liam Allison, Craig Howie, Alex Petkov (loan), Michael McMullin.

January 2020
Ross Cunningham (loan), Tom Lang (loan), Adam Livingstone (loan), Gregg Wylde.

Summer 2020
Ross Cunningham, Jamie Bain, Matej Vajs, Lloyd Robertson, David Wilson, Tom Lang, Cammy Palmer (loan), Matthew Shiels (loan), Josh Jack (loan), Jay Henderson (loan).

January 2021
Kevin Nicoll, Lewis Jamieson (loan), Jack Thomson (loan), Zac Butterworth (loan), Kane Ritchie-Hosler (loan), Ewan Otoo (loan), Michael McGlinchey, Marky Munro, Aidan Cassidy.

Summer 2021
Aaron Splaine, Morgaro Gomis, Neil Parry, Adam Livingstone, Kieran McGrath, Mark Docherty, Jonathan Page, Harry Robinson, Robert Jones, Billy Mortimer, Matthew Elsdon, Paul Kennedy, Owen Andrew, Josh Bradley-Hurst, Conrad Balatoni, Euan Deveney, Gregory Tade.

January 2022
Nick McAllister (loan), Lewis Jamieson (loan), Monday Samuel. 

Summer 2022
Erik Sula, Brian McLean, Peter Grant, Ray Grant, Conner Duthie, Nathan Nyamsi, Kurtis Roberts, Ross Lyon, Jordan Allan, Cammy Ross, Olly McDonald, Andy Rodden, Liam Scullion, Euan Cameron, Steven Thicot, Ryan Mullen, Jon Craig (loan).

Using transfermarkt, that's every transfer window under Danny Lennon. Some right nightmares in amongst that lot with arguably the only good windows being his very first (Lang, Love, Grant, McStay and the Huddersfield loans) followed by January 2020 minus Wylde as the 3 loans made us a better side and we had that 3 wins on the trot and looked to be heading up the table before covid hit and the season was curtailed. Even summer of the promotion year, only Rankin, Lamont & Syvertsen really made an impact IMO. Belmokhtar could've possibly hit plenty of goals if he never went AWOL.

Edited by CM.

45 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

With regards to Diamond and Corr. We really don’t know much about what they done and how Danny worked with them. This should be addressed at the meeting , as they might be getting it in the neck for Danny not wanting to work with them. For what it’s worth, the repeated failings in areas regarding recruitment and bringing back Nicoll, Munro, Lyon etc reeks of Danny acting and not a recruitment team. 

In terms of a new manager I reckon we either give it to Moore for the season or we end up with someone like Jim Duffy to try and sure things up for the rest of the season. A new manager would want a summer window and a club not engaging in a relegation battle on November 1st. 

I had heard that Danny was offered a list of names of players time and time again scouted at by the recruitment team, but refused them and chose his own players. How true this is I don't actually know.

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I suspect like many have said, that Allan Moore will be here till end of the season. Obviously in the unlikely event that he performed a miracle and we survive he would deserve the job permanently. In fact, given some of the folk available and mentioned I’d rather have Moore than likes of Peter Grant, Yogie, McKinnon, Kenny Miller,  etc.

Much as I’d love some kind of proven successful manager I really can’t see how we could attract anyone with proven pedigree. Even on the premise of offering a platform to rebuild a career I don’t think we actually have that realistic platform. Who would that even be?

Fantasy names:
Jack Ross obviously mentioned often but that is fantasy. As is Thomson.

Tommy Wright? Again very much doubt he would be interested in your s, even if we could afford it?

Craig Bryson? Big gamble even if interested.

kenny Sheils? what he up to these days. Certainly get headlines.

Steven Naismith? Again can’t see it for all the reasons before. Also unproven. 

As I say absolutely no clue who is available to a club like ours or who would be interested given our current situation on and off the park.

If nothing else at least it gives us some speculation to wile away the days between defeats. 

Kenny Shiels is Northern Ireland’s womens team manager, Stevie Naismith is hearts colts manager. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Moore getting it till the end of the season, with maybe someone like Brian McLean coaching/playing. 

15 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Would rather see us go for a young up and coming manager rather than one of the usual dinosaurs that get trotted out for every job.

Maybe a manager from the lowland or even wos leagues that has had success and hungry to progress in the game.

Gary Jardine at Civil Service Strollers is one who fits the criteria as he's had the Strollers punching above their weight for a few seasons. Even by LL standards they're a small club. Did struggle however when in charge of Edinburgh City during their first SPFL season.

For the WOS Stewart Maxwell has done stellar job with Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

7 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Gary Jardine at Civil Service Strollers is one who fits the criteria as he's had the Strollers punching above their weight for a few seasons. Even by LL standards they're a small club. Did struggle however when in charge of Edinburgh City during their first SPFL season.

For the WOS Stewart Maxwell has done stellar job with Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

Agreed that there's a fair few - Moffat at Clydebank etc. It's always a risk though, the jump in level is bigger than people may assume and you'd be asking a manager in with a shout of winning a lower league title to jump into a relegation scrap with a poor squad and immediately get relegated. It's not a great platform to build on.

The obvious choice is to give it to Allan Moore until the end of the season (if he fancies it). He's been a competent manager and enjoyed success (and crushing defeat, mind you). That way we can take our time considering the next step, see what league we'll be playing in, and give the new manager a summer window to clear the decks and bring in his own squad. 

If Moore doesn't fancy it, look to bring in one of the more experienced, out of work managers to the end of the season to try and keep us up, to be replaced by the successful applicant.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

11 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Allan Johnston and Gary Naysmith are two who’d maybe be more the level of manager we’d be able to get in. 

Yes could see them coming in.

I’d file Darren Young and Gary Bollan in that similar vein of available and level we could get in 

Edited by Ocelot1877

If I were Allan Johnston I'd be keeping my powder dry for Aidrie or whoever gets relegated next year. He is like a cheat code for this division and I doubt won't fancy potentially getting relegated after the poor start you guys have had. 

Bollan, Grant, Duffy etc are more likely. I wonder if you could tempt Kettlewell he has been out of work for a while and if he could get you into the top half I'm sure it would give him a chance at other jobs.

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Yes could see them coming in.

I’d file Darren Young and Gary Bollan in that similar vein of available and level we could get in 

Darren Young would be a bit stupid to leave Stirling for Clyde given they are looking good to replace us in L1 next season.

As for Kettlewell, I reckon he had one eye on taking over the first team from Stevie Hammell eventually when he took the Academy role at Motherwell. I don’t even think we’d convince him even if he was still out of work tbf. 

I have a feeling that it’s Moore’s if he wants it.

Bollan, Grant and Duffy 🤮

Edited by ScottR96

6 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

With regards to Diamond and Corr. We really don’t know much about what they done and how Danny worked with them. This should be addressed at the meeting , as they might be getting it in the neck for Danny not wanting to work with them. For what it’s worth, the repeated failings in areas regarding recruitment and bringing back Nicoll, Munro, Lyon etc reeks of Danny acting and not a recruitment team. 

In terms of a new manager I reckon we either give it to Moore for the season or we end up with someone like Jim Duffy to try and sure things up for the rest of the season. A new manager would want a summer window and a club not engaging in a relegation battle on November 1st. 

For what it's worth I reckon Duffy would be an ideal appointment for the rest of the season. He'd keep you up - has a track record of doing solid jobs on miniscule budgets and squads at Dumbarton and Morton (he was harshly sacked from both in my opinion). Not saying it's a long-term solution but it's about as safe a pair of hands you could realistically (and cheaply) go for.

Gus McPherson wasn't popular at Morton or QotS but did a good job at St Mirren and QP. At QP he recruited a lot of decent players from outside the SPFL and got them promoted.

I'd not be excited if we appointed him given his football is quite often dire to watch but I'd be happy with him settling the ship over the next 18 months.

10 minutes ago, David W said:

Gus McPherson wasn't popular at Morton or QotS but did a good job at St Mirren and QP. At QP he recruited a lot of decent players from outside the SPFL and got them promoted.

I'd not be excited if we appointed him given his football is quite often dire to watch but I'd be happy with him settling the ship over the next 18 months.

Just took the head of football operations job at St Johnstone

3 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Allan Johnston and Gary Naysmith are two who’d maybe be more the level of manager we’d be able to get in. 

Wouldn’t be looking at anyone in the WOSFL, the jump from playing in that league to Dunfermline, Falkirk etc is huge. 

I'm sure you'll get there.

22 hours ago, David W said:

Of course, the bigger issue we have is off the park. Altering the manager shouldn't deflect from that reality. Unless there are big changes, we are always going to be a L2 team in waiting; hopefully no worse. At this stage in our club's history, the likes of Alloa should probably be our peers as a minimum but we're nowhere near being able to sign the players that they are bringing in. It's frustrating and terrifying in equal measure. 

Not sure if any of the current Clyde posters were around online in the late 90s when there was something of a rivalry between Alloa and Clyde. The Clyde fans of the time would regularly have a go at the Recs for being a dump, but ultimately having our own ground that we could develop as a community asset has been crucial to Alloa, both in bringing in money and getting local people into the club. Mike Mulraney obviously key to it all but he recognised the importance of the ground and invested in it. That has given us a really solid foundation off the park and helped to bring success on it. That is why we can attract better players than Clyde. Unfortunately you didn't own Broadwood or develop any real identity there and you certainly won't at Hamilton. Hopefully the Crownpoint thing comes off and Clyde can start afresh there. Lots of potential with a still half decent support, lapsed fans who would return, and new fans who would come once you were established and rooted in the new home. Until then you are going to find it very hard to compete with the likes of us and you need managers who can make the most out of a pretty challenging situation. Not easy to find.