Jump to content

Clyde FC; Season 2022-23


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We pretty much won the Division 2 title after signing a team of juniors in 99/00 and pumped Raith 4-0 at Starks Park in the cup. You just need to sign the right ones.

Fortunately at the time we had a manager and a chairman who knew a player.

I remember at the first preseason game thinking - who the f### are these diddies.  How wrong was I.

They signed nearly half the team that made it into the broadwood X1.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know its only the lowland league but Rodden was in the team of the year, at least seems a little more encouraging than the likes of Mortimer (who, despite being an underwhelming return, Lyon is an improvement on) and McGrath from that level

Edited by CM.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cant say I am full of any optimism about the squad so far.  Doesnt fill me with any confidence.

That's 13 players signed so far.  Lets say we go with a squad of 20.  That's just 7 players still to sign !!!!!!

Do you really think that these next 7 to be signed are going to be all L1 level players.  I dont.

I would expect you get your first picks that you want to make up your starting 11 first then you fill out the squad later on closer to the start of the season.  Fingers crossed we have adopted reverse of the logical strategy but I dont think we will.

Only one player signed released by a club at L1 level or above (Jordan Allan  - and i dont remember anything about him in the games v Airdrie).

You have to remember there is a reason a player is released.  They arent deemed good enough for the level they were playing at and we have signed a host of players released at a level below L1.

Even if we did sign Livingstone, Splaine, Cuddihy, McAllister and Jamieson only leaves a couple of other picks for the squad.

Difficult to believe - but this squad is building up to look even more s### than last season and that would be some achievement.

Going to be a long hard season i predict and without a proven 20+ goalscorer this time I think luck is going to run out this year.

We still need in my opinion

2 center halfs

right back

left back

box to box midfielder

creative midfielder

2 strikers who can get double figures goals (yeah i know that might be wishful thinking but even 1 who can get double figures would be good)

Nothing against the players who have signed so far, and hopefully proved wrong, but not feeling at all optimistic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not getting at Lyons, not his fault he has been offered a contract for a team a league above where he was, but as a Stenny fan points out he dropped out of their starting line up last season. Not an indication of the quality of player I was wanting this season. I really hope he proves me wrong and has kicked on.

However, the reality is that now into June and there is no one here just now that would suggest we are anything other than potential bottom club this coming season. Very sad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ross Lyon will be absolutely fine with Clyde. I would have liked to have kept on him as backup but he could probably go to Clyde and start. Whether he is playing in league two or lower end of league one he will do a job.

You have to realise where you are as a club. A nomadic club with a poor budget in a league full of far better equipped clubs at times I am not sure what players you are expecting to sign. Year on year Lennon has worked minor miracles at the club and there is still groans about him. It's mental to read.

Unless you get some stability as a club and some decent investment these are surely the level of signings you would expect? Efficient, no thrills players.

Edited by Neilly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ffs hardly even in June and we're getting relegated already by some.

Just hope these guys don't read this forum, they'll be wondering wtf they've let themselves in for.

Every chance the quality of these guys will be better than what we had last season (most of which came in much later than now comparatively), and as we know DL usually  gets the best out of his players.

At least wait til you see the guys in the flesh before ripping them to bits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Cant say I am full of any optimism about the squad so far.  Doesnt fill me with any confidence.

That's 13 players signed so far.  Lets say we go with a squad of 20.  That's just 7 players still to sign !!!!!!

Do you really think that these next 7 to be signed are going to be all L1 level players.  I dont.

I would expect you get your first picks that you want to make up your starting 11 first then you fill out the squad later on closer to the start of the season.  Fingers crossed we have adopted reverse of the logical strategy but I dont think we will.

Only one player signed released by a club at L1 level or above (Jordan Allan  - and i dont remember anything about him in the games v Airdrie).

You have to remember there is a reason a player is released.  They arent deemed good enough for the level they were playing at and we have signed a host of players released at a level below L1.

Even if we did sign Livingstone, Splaine, Cuddihy, McAllister and Jamieson only leaves a couple of other picks for the squad.

Difficult to believe - but this squad is building up to look even more s### than last season and that would be some achievement.

Going to be a long hard season i predict and without a proven 20+ goalscorer this time I think luck is going to run out this year.

We still need in my opinion

2 center halfs

right back

left back

box to box midfielder

creative midfielder

2 strikers who can get double figures goals (yeah i know that might be wishful thinking but even 1 who can get double figures would be good)

Nothing against the players who have signed so far, and hopefully proved wrong, but not feeling at all optimistic. 

Absolutely no chance the squad is going to be worse than last season. We would have to sign 7 Rob Jones’ from now for that to be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Absolutely no chance the squad is going to be worse than last season. We would have to sign 7 Rob Jones’ from now for that to be the case.

If we finish in 9th or 10th then the squad will statistically be worse than last season. 

Lets see where we end up May next year.

It will be a miracle if we finish anything other than 9th and 10th.  I said that last year and it was (without DGW goals we would have finished up 9th maybe 10th).

We knew what we were getting when we signed Rob Jones.  Dumbarton fans knew he was s### and so did we after a couple of games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was said earlier on but Edinburgh and Peterhead aren’t making any sort of signings at all, with Peterhead losing arguably their best player in Scott Brown with Russell McLean transfer listed. Sure I saw Savoury was leaving as well.

Edinburgh finished 4th in league 2 last year, I don’t see how people expect them to come up and be above at least 2 others without massive improvements. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can only imagine what Clyde fans would be like if we were having a summer like Peterhead. Ferry, Savoury, Long and Brown away, McLean transfer listed and Ritchie linked with a move away. No fear from Edinburgh either, they are a poorer side than the one we cruised past in our promotion year.

At least we have an identity his summer; nearly all the players we have are footballers with a bit of pace. Last summer we just signed a bunch of players that didn't fit together at all.

What we are seriously lacking is some (any?!) height and physicality. Rumsby leaving was brilliant news as he was awful in both boxes at set pieces (our record last season at both ends was as bad as any team I can remember). Ability in the air is what we need from our centre half additions and probably any other players we bring in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

We’ve seen Lyon in the flesh and he’s sh*t.

Just ignoring the comments from Stenny fans that he's improved, was offered a deal,  and playing a different position then ?

Might well not be much better than last time, but I for one am prepared to give him a 2nd chance (as is DL).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hearing Bryson was approached but would have been wanting £700 a week, for a player that I would imagine is still going to be struggling with injury and maybe have half a season in him I would rather that money went to a couple of players that would at least be able to play the whole season, Stenny ready to spend big this season apparently 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Hearing Bryson was approached but would have been wanting £700 a week, for a player that I would imagine is still going to be struggling with injury and maybe have half a season in him I would rather that money went to a couple of players that would at least be able to play the whole season, Stenny ready to spend big this season apparently 

Hearing from who?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

If we finish in 9th or 10th then the squad will statistically be worse than last season. 

Lets see where we end up May next year.

It will be a miracle if we finish anything other than 9th and 10th.  I said that last year and it was (without DGW goals we would have finished up 9th maybe 10th).

We knew what we were getting when we signed Rob Jones.  Dumbarton fans knew he was s### and so did we after a couple of games.

I was meaning on paper this team isn’t worse. Time will tell on the park right enough…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I would have liked Lyon to stay it was purely as he can play both full back positions as back up, which is useful, am pretty surprised he has got a league 1 contract. It's an un-remarkable signing but let's face it Clyde are in for an un-remarkable season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/06/2022 at 14:14, the_bully_wee said:

It'd be a stretch to suggest he'll be prolific, but that's a decent enough signing. Good physical attributes and a hard worker, with plenty of improvement still in him at that age.

 

On 02/06/2022 at 15:02, cb_diamond said:

Wrote the following on the Airdrie thread in response to a Clyde poster asking about JA:

He has never really had a run of games ever in his three spells, which I suspect tells a tale in its own right. For me he was best as an impact sub to come on and harry, run at and annoy tired defenders. I just don't know what to say about Jordan, he's not awful, he's not great. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with a consistent run of games. He may do well.

On a side note, if Clyde could get Josh Kerr that would be a superb signing for them. Has his injury issues but when fit he's a classy defender.

In January I think most Airdrie fans would have been happy to release Allan. Had only made fleeting substitute appearances and contributed little in them. But he got a short run of games at the start of 2022 and did us a turn, getting some goals and assists and generally being a bit of a nuisance. From that point on he did play his part in the run-in, albeit as a squad player once again. He did struggle against the likes of Cove, Thistle in the cup and Queen's Park so I think the lower-end of League 1 is very much his ceiling. But I think he'll do a reasonable job for you. He's not a striker I would build a team around but he works hard, harries defenders, can run-in behind and is a decent finisher when he gets the chance. Made a fool out of Gregor Buchanan several times. Think and hope he'll do a decent job for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...