Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

32 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why would you want a centre half from one of the worst teams in the league?!

He only signed for them towards the end of the season and, barring a mistake in the play off semi-final, it would appear he was comfortably better than any other jobber ourselves or Dumbarton could field at centre half. Given we need a whole new host of defenders, I felt he was a fairly realistic target on our budget.

2 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

He only signed for them towards the end of the season and, barring a mistake in the play off semi-final, it would appear he was comfortably better than any other jobber ourselves or Dumbarton could field at centre half. Given we need a whole new host of defenders, I felt he was a fairly realistic target on our budget.

Aye, fair enough. We definitely need another two or three defenders who are up to first XI quality. We’ve struggled in the department for a while now outwith the four at the back we normally start with.

I’m beginning to wonder if we are maybe experiencing last seasons issue where our first and maybe second choice targets are knocking Danny back. Hope I’m wrong as it’s still relatively easy days but I’d be much happier if we saw a proper midfield player signing and of course a central defender. Even if our budget is restricted I hope we don’t resort to last season’s signing debacle, not a chance we will get away with it again without David Goodwillie’s goals.

(for clarity I’m not advocating his return btw)

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I’m beginning to wonder if we are maybe experiencing last seasons issue where our first and maybe second choice targets are knocking Danny back. Hope I’m wrong as it’s still relatively easy days but I’d be much happier if we saw a proper midfield player signing and of course a central defender. Even if our budget is restricted I hope we don’t resort to last season’s signing debacle, not a chance we will get away with it again without David Goodwillie’s goals.

(for clarity I’m not advocating his return btw)

Hi Freddie I think you are spot on with your analysis as this has all the hallmarks of last season only this time no superstar to bail us out.

Bryson lives in EK and we're playing at Hamilton, but he'd rather go to Stenny a league down and a club he will never have a history with like Clyde. Either Danny wasn't interested or that's a sign of what we're working with financially.

Kurtis Roberts, Connor Duthie, Jordan Allan, think that's the level we are operating at tbh. Hoping something sticks with youngish players who have maybe lost their way a wee bit.

The stuff about a competitive budget is just lip service to keep people onside I feel. Rumsby will probably end up at Alloa or Stirling or somewhere like that. Whilst I'm not his biggest fan its clear Danny wanted to keep him and our budget despite being "competitive" is still pretty weak.

Only positive I can say just about these signings so far is they are marginally more promising than some of the absolute shit we were acquiring this time last year, however we don't have a Goodwillie quality player to cover for that and carry weaker players this time.

Craig Bryson signs for Stenhousemuir. For purely sentimental reasons, I’d have liked to have seen him back here.

The fact he’s gone to stenny is very disappointing for more than sentimental reasons. We could have used his experience and ability, would walk into our team.

Posted (edited)

Regarding Bryson...as much as I'd love him back at Clyde he's played 39 games in 4 seasons. Maybe we didn't want to pay a decent chunk of wage for someone who has obvious fitness concerns?

Edited by Cutty Sark

Sounds like a wee bit of reality coming into play on some of the messages here thankfully. Sentimentality is a ridiculous reason to sign a player so Danny is right….if he was interested that is. Anybody else fancy watching a team winning 25% of their league games again or less then fair play to you…we simply are not in a position to challenge in any meaningful way and that’s sad to say… the video of “where the dream begins” highlighted how much of an opportunity Broadwood was and now we’re back to square 1.  The pyramid system now enforces a change in league structure and we have to be mindful of that…hopefully getting additional revenue at NDP will help but I’d be surprised if we don’t get relegated this season, without the need of a play off..sad to admit but obviously I hope I’m wrong.

27 minutes ago, Cutty Sark said:

Regarding Bryson...as much as I'd love him back at Clyde he's played 39 games in 4 seasons. Maybe we didn't want to pay a decent chunk of wage for someone who has obvious fitness concerns?

Spot on. We need three centre halves, multiple full backs and a couple of better attacking players. It just wouldn't make sense bringing in a player like that at this stage, as sad as that is.

When we brought Rankin in we had a full squad and he added one wee bit of class. If we had done our work properly since promotion maybe we would be in a similar position this summer.

I think to this point our recruitment has been better than last season, but there’s still a long way to go with a good 10 or so to come in. 

I don’t agree with some of the posts above that it’s all doom and gloom, I think it’s a bit early in the summer for that. however we will be expected to be fighting relegation given the other clubs in the league. 

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

Craig Bryson is dropping from the Premier League all the way to League Two.

There must be reasons for that.

Fairly certain he’s opened an estate agents so part time will suit.

Posted (edited)

I wonder if Danny considered if he could have Gomis and Bryson in same midfield.  That’s assuming of course Bryson was ever an option. 

On reflection much as my heart would love to see Craig Bryson in a Clyde strip again my head is saying maybe best remember him as he was.  If there is a budget of sorts left best spend it on a fit and dynamic midfield player… I hope!!

Edited by FREDDYFRY

12 hours ago, David W said:

Spot on. We need three centre halves, multiple full backs and a couple of better attacking players. It just wouldn't make sense bringing in a player like that at this stage, as sad as that is.

When we brought Rankin in we had a full squad and he added one wee bit of class. If we had done our work properly since promotion maybe we would be in a similar position this summer.

its quite funny how all of you are missing the point. The player budget was piss poor to begin with and as you can see only 2 centre backs at the club one of which is a prospect and the other is a 35 year old who has never played a game for Clyde. This is a crucial position that hasn't been filled as of yet. barry cuddihy adam livingston and splaine  haven't committed yet and the players coming in are from leagues below us. To me this is a problem. We need to spend more on a tried and tested centre back but i think we may struggle as the other clubs are more efficient in this market. What is happening now will determine our season. This isn't a time for nostalgia and stop pissing about with players who were great for the club but are past their sell by date lets get young and hungry in and have a good honest team rather than journey men but i would say an experienced  centre back is an absolute  must.

34 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

its quite funny how all of you are missing the point. The player budget was piss poor to begin with and as you can see only 2 centre backs at the club one of which is a prospect and the other is a 35 year old who has never played a game for Clyde. This is a crucial position that hasn't been filled as of yet. barry cuddihy adam livingston and splaine  haven't committed yet and the players coming in are from leagues below us. To me this is a problem. We need to spend more on a tried and tested centre back but i think we may struggle as the other clubs are more efficient in this market. What is happening now will determine our season. This isn't a time for nostalgia and stop pissing about with players who were great for the club but are past their sell by date lets get young and hungry in and have a good honest team rather than journey men but i would say an experienced  centre back is an absolute  must.

So Steven Thicot isn’t a good signing because he’s never played for Clyde before? He’s also 35 so maybe fits your experienced defender criteria. 

Your posts are a laugh, keep them up. 

17 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

So Steven Thicot isn’t a good signing because he’s never played for Clyde before? He’s also 35 so maybe fits your experienced defender criteria. 

His posts are an honest reflection of how bad the situation is…there are 5 weeks until we start the league cup campaign and look where we are at ? I’m sure Danny is doing what he can but money is key to this . The only reason potentially Splaine would stay is if no one else comes in for him but the lack of info regarding Cuddihy and Livingstone as you would say, is deafening.

36 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Clearly you have missed the point thanks bob for living in the real world and lets be clear i hope it all comes good and thicot works out. Time will tell and you have put on record you think he is a good signing  LETS HOPE YOUR RIGHT