Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Can't believe people are talking about bringing Ray Grant back, he was so desperate for full time fitbaw that he wanted away from us, then decided to go to part time Alloa, league above to fair enough. Lennon wants him back and he changes his mind at the 11th hour to go to Stirling on what I can only assume was on bigger wages. He's been released, released from a L2 club. He was great for us but I don't want him back, obviously not the same Player and loyalty obviously an issue there. 

The players we really should be looking at are the top performers from L2 and some players from 2nd tier who have found themselves frozen out for whatever reason. Hopefully the business is done early enough so we can avoid a brutal season like this one. 

54 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Have no doubt Danny will try and sign Grant, not fussed about him turned down Clyde to sign for Stirling in L2 for an extra £20 a week.

Is £20 a week confirmed or just a number you plucked out the air?

I saw Alloa play a few times when Ray Grant was there and it seemed like Championship players were just too athletic for him. Reading the game will only get you so far unfortunately. It would have been interesting to see McStay move to that level as despite being far less consistent, he would have had a better chance physically.

Falkirk get a lot of stick (rightly) but Stirling have also been utterly laughable the last few seasons, throwing money at players and not even managing to reach the play-offs. I'd not use failing there as any sort of a guide as to a player's ability. Amongst other bizarre decisions they've been playing a good goalscorer at that level (Dale Carrick) out of position to accommodate a target man that makes Rob Jones look mobile and committed.

I'd not necessarily bring Grant back myself; I think he'd need a particular type of team around him and I'm not sure he's that good a player to plan your summer around. But he bossed games against teams at this level two years back, is still a good age, and I'd certainly not rule it out because he played for Clyde before. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Can't believe people are talking about bringing Ray Grant back, he was so desperate for full time fitbaw that he wanted away from us, then decided to go to part time Alloa, league above to fair enough. Lennon wants him back and he changes his mind at the 11th hour to go to Stirling on what I can only assume was on bigger wages. He's been released, released from a L2 club. He was great for us but I don't want him back, obviously not the same Player and loyalty obviously an issue there. 

The players we really should be looking at are the top performers from L2 and some players from 2nd tier who have found themselves frozen out for whatever reason. Hopefully the business is done early enough so we can avoid a brutal season like this one. 

Can we turn our nose up at a player like Ray Grant when we still have Kevin Nicoll on our books?

Edited by TheBigGuy

On 29/04/2022 at 13:02, BudBairn said:

Clyde belong in Rutherglen, i hope they return.

Better not say that anywhere near the Rutherglen Glencairn thread.

Would take Grant back.

Lennon would get the best out of him and wouldn't expect his wages to be as high as last time given he's now been released by Alloa and Stirling.

Really surprised to see where Stirling finished given I would have been happy for us to sign any of Leitch, Grant, Roberts, Carrick at the start of last season.

Mikey Miller on loan from Raith to Stenny, Ross McIver on loan from Thistle to Alloa and George Strange at Dumbarton are others I would be hoping we are looking at.

Would be a great start if we could keep Cuddihy, Cunnigham, Splaine, Livingstone, Jamieson and McAllister.

On 22/04/2022 at 07:07, Clinically Proven said:

Options are two things now:

1) Cut a deal with an ex junior team - Shetto, Ruggy or Vale of Clyde

2) Work with Clyde Gateway to get a deal done on Shawfield. It sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the regeneration around there.

Just to clarify, Shetto, (real name Shettleston) for the non Lower East Side of Manhattan Rap readers on here have changed their name.

They're now called Glasgow United and are now moving to the other side of the railway track at Greenfield.

14 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Are you for real? Where were your loyalty issues when orchestrating a move back for Goodwillie, the guy who jumped at the first sniff of anyone else who was willing to offer him a full-time gig and extra coin? Quite happy to throw the club to the wolves over the head of that, but not to take back a proven player with no nation-wide stigma attached 🤦🏻‍♂️

We should absolutely be looking at Ray Grant, even if he’s 50% of the player that left us he would still walk into that absolute rabble.

29 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Are you for real? Where were your loyalty issues when orchestrating a move back for Goodwillie, the guy who jumped at the first sniff of anyone else who was willing to offer him a full-time gig and extra coin? Quite happy to throw the club to the wolves over the head of that, but not to take back a proven player with no nation-wide stigma attached 🤦🏻‍♂️

We should absolutely be looking at Ray Grant, even if he’s 50% of the player that left us he would still walk into that absolute rabble.

tim and eric comedy GIF

Posted (edited)

I'd also take David Goodwillie back tomorrow! He could have a rather fruitful partnership with LJ.

Edited by TheBigGuy

On 01/05/2022 at 18:49, Scotchpie said:

Anyone seen Splaine since v Montrose? Pretty sure I heard the kit man say "good luck at Real" as he left after interview 🤔 

I heard he Played with a broken toe v montrose. Only came off that game due to pain killimg injection started to wear off. 

10 hours ago, You Only Live Twice said:

What a surprise that a man that uses Facebook to call out people on Pie and Bovril is an odd little hypocrite 

Saw someone suggest Robert Thomson from stenny, led to believe he’s going to Stirling but 6 goals in league 2 isn’t someone we should look at anyway. 

Out of interest, has anyone actually seen Ray Grant play for Stirling Albion? Hard to make  “sign him” statements after him being released by a L2 team…and not seeing him play..

On 02/05/2022 at 09:07, Glenconner said:

Just to clarify, Shetto, (real name Shettleston) for the non Lower East Side of Manhattan Rap readers on here have changed their name.

They're now called Glasgow United and are now moving to the other side of the railway track at Greenfield.

I knew they had changed names. What's the plans for the current ground then do you know?

Not good that players like Carrick, Thompson and Leitch would rather stay in League 2. They would've been realistic targets. 

18 minutes ago, Clinically Proven said:

I knew they had changed names. What's the plans for the current ground then do you know?

Not good that players like Carrick, Thompson and Leitch would rather stay in League 2. They would've been realistic targets. 

Looks like a development of the five G pitch with floodlights in Duror St.

Taking a guess the old ground being punted is part of the funding package to bring Greenfield up to basics ie cover for a 100 punters and obviously making the ground enclosed, turnstiles etc and some sort of pavilion/dressing rooms.

Maybe looking at something like a two sided stadium like Renfrew.

In the end the old ground at Shettleston was two sided anyway.

Then it would onwards off the park to getting a SFA licence and into the big Scottish Cup.

No idea what the name change was about.

Does Glasgow Utd sound better than Shettleston.

Don't suppose it matters.

I watched them many times pre the pandemic and the home crowd had completely collapsed.

Long way from 8000 at a Wednesday afternoon Scottish Junior Cup replay in 1959.

Sadly the pyramid might have came far too late for a few of the old city ex Junior clubs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clinically Proven said:

The thing is (and I said this last summer too and was practically laughed out of the park despite it being obvious) at this level you'd rather be challenging at the top of a league than fighting relegation.

Those players will have been sold on Stirling's ambition to go up next year with Young having a full season. They're already settled and from what I know, Stirling has a good dressing room. They would likely be paid more by Stirling too. So you're really going to be asking players if they want to begin the season with a club looking to win League 2 (feasible now without the likes of a Cove or a Kelty) with boys they're pally with on decent money, or jump to a new dressing room most likely to join a relegation battle at a club that's essentially a laughing stock and derided by the entire country.

We have a recruitment team whose job is to sell us as a club to potential targets, but we know from experience that they just don't do that.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

• the_bully_wee changed the title to Clyde FC; Season 2022-23