Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

24 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Was going to ask if anyone could sum the game up, this seems perfect. What a stinker.

More meat on the bones; We started with Aidan Cassidy at left-back (a boy that wasn't getting a game for a side who have shipped 109 goals this season) and he predictably got rinsed by Jai Quitongo. In fairness, Livingstone didn't fair much better in the second half. I've never been Rumsby's biggest fan but he was absolutely shocking, bullied all over the park no more so than at their second.

Kennedy and Cuddihy had some nice bits of passing in the early stages and the trialist who started was far from the worst I've seen, certainly caused a few problems playing off either wing but seemed a bit raw. Sadly not much to report from Samuel and it's a stretch expecting Jones to try when he doesn't bother himself in real matches. Jamieson came on and worked hard but basically spent the whole time trying to score himself a goal rather than passing.

I've never seen a player quite like Owen Andrew. Gets himself into decent positions with some pace and a bit of intensity and then balloons the ball off his own shin and out of play. 

14 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

It just confirms what we all already know; the full squad is made up of probably 3 good\ decent players, 5 average player and the rest utter garbage. Huge amount of work required to sort out the embarrassment that was last year’s recruitment.

Starting 11 tonight consisted of several who should not be anywhere near a contract with us next year… I wait with baited breath

Parry and Cuddihy are the only ones in that starting 11 anywhere near good enough for this level. Rest aren't even close. Obviously not seen a great deal of Samuel but I'll not hold out much hope if he's getting used in these games more than the league.

Edited by CM.

26 minutes ago, CM. said:

Obviously not seen a great deal of Samuel but I'll not hold out much hope if he's getting used in these games more than the league.

I just assumed we had essentially signed Samuel as a glorified trialist. Not sure of his situation outside football but it's likely the case for visa-based reasons he would have to have a permanent contract. So sign him up until summer, start him in the diddy cup and use him sporadically in the league with a view to a more permanent stay beyond the summer.

15 hours ago, David W said:

More meat on the bones; We started with Aidan Cassidy at left-back (a boy that wasn't getting a game for a side who have shipped 109 goals this season) and he predictably got rinsed by Jai Quitongo. In fairness, Livingstone didn't fair much better in the second half. I've never been Rumsby's biggest fan but he was absolutely shocking, bullied all over the park no more so than at their second.

Kennedy and Cuddihy had some nice bits of passing in the early stages and the trialist who started was far from the worst I've seen, certainly caused a few problems playing off either wing but seemed a bit raw. Sadly not much to report from Samuel and it's a stretch expecting Jones to try when he doesn't bother himself in real matches. Jamieson came on and worked hard but basically spent the whole time trying to score himself a goal rather than passing.

I've never seen a player quite like Owen Andrew. Gets himself into decent positions with some pace and a bit of intensity and then balloons the ball off his own shin and out of play. 

With our dearth of ability up front I'm not surprised we didn't score, but that looked like the bones of a semi regular defence. Losing 5 at home is pretty poor, but maybe it was guys trying to prove to Coyle, they're worth a contract?   

Don't think we learned anything new about our 1 paced gentlemanly central defenders.

I think we have to be realistic, our budget won’t allow a squad of 15 or so McAllister standard player plus young boys. Some of the guys like for example Rumsby, Docherty or Page etc will need to be signed as back up or guys of similar ability.
It would be great if all but the 3 or 4 L1 standard players we do have are replaced with players of required standard in their particular position.
After last 2 years recruitment I have little confidence that will be the case. As said before I am still astounded that we signed let alone played Jones and two or 3 others (at least) this season. 
not as astounded that we actually stayed up… quite unbelievable given that squad.. although as ever massive thank you for Goodwillie otherwise we would be gone. 

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

although as ever massive thank you for Goodwillie otherwise we would be gone. 

Had a wee look at the league stats, just out of interest.

Pre-DGW leaving: 23 games (7 wins, 8 draws, 8 losses), 29 pts = 1.26 ppg

Post-DGW leaving: 11 games (2 wins, 4 draws, 5 losses), 10 pts = 0.91 ppg

DGW-shaped deficit = 0.35 ppg

So since he left, we haven't really suffered a tremendous dip in form in the league. Obviously this isn't an exact science and other factors come into it.

The really worrying thing going into next season though is applying the above to a full season. 1.26 ppg x 34 games would have us on 42 pts total, taking us above Alloa in 6th place (hypothetically, obviously not accounting for the teams that would have dropped points on our behalf). 0.91 ppg x 34 games would have us on 30.9 points total, putting us in the relegation play-off (again, hypothetically).

It just shows the importance of having that one very decent player over the course of a season, especially in a lottery league like this one. From potentially challenging for the promotion play-offs to battling relegation. Again, I'm not a salaried member of the recruitment team and I just worked this out out of interest on a coffee break, so this should be at the forefront of Diamond and co.'s minds.

OBVIOUSLY the solution would be to have a well balanced squad across the board rather than just having one maverick, a good keeper and 9 diddies but we shall see.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Does anyone here believe that it’s going to get any better next season ?  Keilty and  likely QOS getting added, and let’s say no one team via either play offs, along with our “budget” this season, and worse the season after, maybe we should do the open trials again…

I know our budget wasn’t exactly massive to begin with this season but when I attended the online budget meeting last year (before my ownership period ended) I am certain that it was stated that our budget would remain the same for next season too. I’m not sure if there is anybody that can shed light on whether I am a) incorrect or b) this has changed?

Of course, without having a wage the size of DGW’s to pay next season, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to expect a more even distribution of our wage budget throughout the squad.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

I know our budget wasn’t exactly massive to begin with this season but when I attended the online budget meeting last year (before my ownership period ended) I am certain that it was stated that our budget would remain the same for next season too. I’m not sure if there is anybody that can shed light on whether I am a) incorrect or b) this has changed?

Of course, without having a wage the size of DGW’s to pay next season, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to expect a more even distribution of our wage budget throughout the squad.

The playing budget for next season will remain the same as was presented that night (and broadly similar to this season) however this will now make us a larger loss than was forecasted. It’s the following season where things look to be getting cut to the quick and we’re going back to the budgets akin to the bottom end of L2 days.

But who knows and these things can change in time, as we’ve seen this season already. 

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

The playing budget for next season will remain the same as was presented that night (and broadly similar to this season) however this will now make us a larger loss than was forecasted. It’s the following season where things look to be getting cut to the quick and we’re going back to the budgets akin to the bottom end of L2 days.

But who knows and these things can change in time, as we’ve seen this season already. 

Cheers! Fingers crossed for a decent cup run or some more miracles from Danny.

Whilst I’m slightly sad given I’m from Cumbernauld and I’ve only ever known Clyde at Broadwood, I’m relieved that our toxic relationship with NLC, or NLL, or however else they wish to be known is over. It has not been sustainable for a considerable length of time.

Clyde, crying, pissing their pants and spewing in the street as the rain batters off the pavement, “We were leavin’ anyway! Yer pub’s shite!” 

Evicted for dug racing and now evicted for idolising rapists. A new low.