Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Just now, TheScarf said:

He should just retire.

Is that Clyde looking for a new ground in a years time too?

I can't see him playing for us after this. Unless, of course, someone who chucks in five figures in donations every year demands that Goodwillie plays for Clyde even if it's at Glasgow Green in a Sunday pub league.

I hope the decision will immediately be undertaken to terminate the loan agreement before trying to build bridges with the council. Eviction from Broadwood next year would be the end of us in any meaningful sense, unless some moneybags appeared and wished to finance a stadium for us.

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Would be very interested to hear why the womans team and council have said nothing until now, seems bizarre. 

Would be very interested to hear why the US, EU and UK haven't placed sanctions on Russia until now, seems bizarre.

Edited by RiG

3 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Would be very interested to hear why the womans team and council have said nothing until now, seems bizarre.

Tell me you haven't read the council's statement without telling me you haven't read the council's statement

Don't understand the " what's changed now?" brigade. Humans are by their very nature hypocrites, including the people who are shouting about it this time. 

Whether it be on a tiny level like moaning at an opposition team time-wasting as if it was a criminal offence to then lap it up when your team is doing it to hold on to a win, to the much more serious issues like how we are all following the news intently regarding Ukraine but by and large don't give a f**k about bombings in Syria etc or even the fact that we as a country ourselves have been involved in unjust wars in our lifetimes. 

Like it or not public perception and public outcry is a major factor in life and perception is reality. The people who didn't know or particularly care about Goodwillie a month ago now making deemed hypocritical decisions are entitled to do so, because the outcry of being so publically associated with a rapist in a case that you're much more educated about than you were a month ago is much different world than the 5 years previously when you didn't seem to care. 

One minute you're sitting in the boardroom thinking, "Ah Raith got all that bad press, but I'm SURE nothing like that will happen to us! We'll fly right under the radar. Let's get him back, he'll score loads of goals."

Then the next minute you've got your local council saying you've to choose between your stadium and your rapist.

Welcome back to reality, Clyde FC!

I've no idea about the structure of NLC but as I understood it, NLL was essentially a subsidiary of the council which specifically operated Broadwood - in that sense, you'd imagine the council could've pulled a move like this if they ever wanted to. I could be wrong in saying that, but if I'm correct then they could've done better than trying to cover their own backs with that statement. If they could've, it's understandable that they didn't take action before now though - Goodwillie's first spell at Clyde largely flew under the radar and any noise was pretty much strictly confined to those in lower-league circles, so evicting Clyde on that basis wouldn't have made a great deal of sense.

The landscape has now changed drastically, Clyde's name is now ubiquitously - and deservedly - caked in the thickest of muck and any sort of public or business association with the club at present is complete PR suicide for all involved. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about any hypocrisies, inconsistencies or the arguments about Goodwillie's suitability to play football - the baseline fact is that the entire game has changed as a result of the Raith move and the sheer body of critical public opinion that followed. 

That the people who made this return happen didn't see any of this coming is just completely and utterly mind-blowing. It was a complete inevitability.

Assuming that NLC aren't just calling Clyde's bluff and they do indeed fail to renew the lease in May 2023 (am I right in thinking that there isn't a great relationship between NLC and Clyde in any case?) then exactly what do Clyde do next? 

There's own goals then there is this. 

A small cabal of Clyde supporters have essentially forced the hand of their club to bring Goodwillie back to their club. 

That small cabal of Clyde fans have placed the future of their club at serious risk. 

At the very least there has to be a severe root and branch restructuring of the key decision making positions at Clyde. And thorough review of the ownership structure. 

How the hell have a football club allowed themselves to get into this position? The Clyde BoD must be in breach of their fiduciary duty. Criminal stupidity.