Jump to content

Clyde FC; Season 2022-23


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, John MacLean said:

Legend? Really?

Your club has won the Scottish Cup three times.

There are countless players who merit the accolade of being labelled a Clyde legend.

And you lump them in with this individual.

What a sordid mess.

 

X Factor Reaction GIF by X Factor Global

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well put.
He was a bit of an idiot in his younger days getting into trouble on more than one occasion but plenty of us have been the same in our younger days.
But like most people it appears he has matured in recent years and become the model pro both on and off the park.
"Bit of an idiot" is a bit of a stretch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I think your assessment of his character is absolutely spot on for back when this happened. However, his behaviour on/off the park since would suggest otherwise. 

It would seem to me that he is a very different person now. Do you believe people have the ability to change in terms of their attitudes/behaviour? To grow up and mature, become more responsible individuals? If so, why would the likes of David Goodwillie be incapable of such progression?

Whether or not I believe in the ability to rehabilitate isn’t really the matter here. I don't think the punishment he received was anywhere near harsh enough and feel he has been let off with just going about his business far too much. Yes, he would have played at a higher level and made more money. But, I don't believe he should ever have been allowed to play at a professional level again.

As people have mentioned already, he hasn't ever shown any remorse for what happened. In any walk of life people apologise in situations, even when they don't believe they have done anything wrong. It's how things work. So whether he thinks he done nothing wrong with regards to raping the girl, it should never have happened the way it did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

What exactly would you like to see happen to Goodwillie? As we all know, he was found guilty in a civil court and has paid compensation to his victim as per the ruling. He also lost his right to play at the top level (despite clearly being more than capable of playing there, even now.) Since then he has worked hard and kept his head down.

This isn't enough for many but I wonder what would be enough? What exactly do you wish to see happen for justice in your eyes to be done? Should he be banned from playing football ever again? From working in any capacity, whether that be as a tradesman or otherwise?

At what point do people say, "ok that'll do."? I'm genuinely interested to know...

He hasn't paid his compensation though, has he? He hasn't kept his head down, he moaned about not being able to afford a fancy car. And he hasn't commented - even without making a full apology that could possibly be construed as an admission of guilt - on the events of the night, about how he has realised that despite not thinking he'd been done anything wrong he still appreciates how much if an ordeal it was for the victim, etc. Even if he'd done all those things, I'd still be reluctant to have him do something that would keep his name in the papers tbh. 

Other than that though, good post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

The way you defend a guy you don’t even know is creepy. w**k bank stuff.

Is that similar to attacking a guy you don’t even know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well put.
He was a bit of an idiot in his younger days getting into trouble on more than one occasion but plenty of us have been the same in our younger days.
But like most people it appears he has matured in recent years and become the model pro both on and off the park.

Most of us managed not to rape someone though…
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

but plenty of us have been the same in our younger days

I'd hope that there isn't "plenty" of people who have been accused of rape and then taken to a court and found guilty of it. Nevermind the charges of assault and all that that he's also got to his name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Legend? Really?

Your club has won the Scottish Cup three times.

There are countless players who merit the accolade of being labelled a Clyde legend.

And you lump them in with this individual.

What a sordid mess.

 

We must be the first club in history to have a section of fans which continues to hero worship a player who handed in a transfer request mid-season to force a move (never mind all the rest). I can't fathom it myself.

I see it's now been formally announced by the club, with a comically sheepish adjoining statement and tweet. Deary me, what an absolute mess they've made here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Bullyweeno1, @JBJ, @RutherGlen - Your views are extremely worrying. As individuals you should be ashamed and embarrassed of what you're posting here. You really need to speak to actual human beings.

Here, the club had the chance to right some absolutely deplorable wrongs. This player even demanded a move away from a club that had given him an undeserved chance in the game. If these reports are correct, the club and anyone that still attends Broadwood deserves that comes to them.

Edited by Brian Carrigan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Whether or not I believe in the ability to rehabilitate isn’t really the matter here. I don't think the punishment he received was anywhere near harsh enough and feel he has been let off with just going about his business far too much. Yes, he would have played at a higher level and made more money. But, I don't believe he should ever have been allowed to play at a professional level again.

As people have mentioned already, he hasn't ever shown any remorse for what happened. In any walk of life people apologise in situations, even when they don't believe they have done anything wrong. It's how things work. So whether he thinks he done nothing wrong with regards to raping the girl, it should never have happened the way it did.

If you dont think the punish was harsh enough then surely that is a problem of the justice system more than anything else.

I dont agree that you would apologise for something you believe you havent done.  You may be sorry that that the circumstances of events ever happened for all involved but you surely cant apologise if you genuinely feel you did nothing wrong???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He doesnt believe he has done anything wrong so difficult to show remorse for something he hasnt done.

If he did then he could open himself up to potential prosecution.

I am sure he is sorry that the whole event ever happened and wished he could go back in time to change everything.

 

 

9 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

why would he do that when he claims innnocence.

The question was “what would it take for him to get some forgiveness”

That’s what it would take to begin that conversation. If he doesn’t want to do that, for whatever reason, then f**k him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

 

The question was “what would it take for him to get some forgiveness”

That’s what it would take to begin that conversation. If he doesn’t want to do that, for whatever reason, then f**k him. 

So what if the guy was innocent? He wasn't convicted. If he wasn't a footballer/celebrity he wouldn't have been done in a civil court either. He should have forgiveness for a crime he didn'#t commit? #

I'm just playing devils advocate here if he had been found guilty in criminal court i'd agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

He hasn't paid his compensation though, has he? He hasn't kept his head down, he moaned about not being able to afford a fancy car. And he hasn't commented - even without making a full apology that could possibly be construed as an admission of guilt - on the events of the night, about how he has realised that despite not thinking he'd been done anything wrong he still appreciates how much if an ordeal it was for the victim, etc. Even if he'd done all those things, I'd still be reluctant to have him do something that would keep his name in the papers tbh. 

Other than that though, good post.

I believe the comp was paid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bullyweeno1 said:

He was ordered to pay £100k which he did by selling his house.  Unfortunately most of the £100k went in lawyers fees.

Without wanting to wade in on this very unpleasant debate, this would suggest otherwise

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sundaypost.com/fp/david-goodwillie-pay-off/amp/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He was ordered to pay £100k which he did by selling his house.  Unfortunately most of the £100k went in lawyers fees.

Right. So he didn’t pay the compensation then. Glad you understand now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Not attacking him. I’m against signing him again. Quite different.

Maybe the other guy not defending the allegations just for signing him again. He was ok with accepting the earlier decision without resorting to name calling.  I feel sure this was not a unanimous decision anywhere and I wonder if any Board members feel conflicted. Time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • the_bully_wee changed the title to Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...