Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

With regards to your first point, he was found guilty in a civil court so saying he isn’t guilty makes no sense. 

With regards to this point. Given how it’s a dangerous precedent in your eyes given the “ low bar for burden of proof”, do you think that if the burden of  evidence of rape cases in Scotland  w( and the UK) with regard to criminal court wasn’t set up the way it is and therefore very difficult to fulfil the criteria ( resulting in huge drops in the rate of rape convictions in the process) he would maybe have been tried in a criminal court? 

If the burden of proof in a civil court is too low in your eyes, yet all the evidence and data suggests that the reason that rape cases are being convicted less and less in criminal courts is because the burden is too high, what do you suggest rape victims do to get justice? In your head do they get justice? Do criminals just get away with it? 

If the PF doesn’t find enough evidence to convict in a criminal court does that mean it didn’t happen? If a tree falls in the woods etc 

You can't be found guilty in a civil court, it's liable and the difference between the two is huge. It basically came down to 1 man saying "yes it probably happened because I find some people more believable than others". That's a hell of a low bar to ruin someone's life over.

All criminal law has protections to try and minimise the risk of innocent people going to jail. I agree that the bar set is one reason conviction rates are low, because its hard to prove but the flip side is you could have people going to jail purely on an accusation. For the record I don't think DC lied about the incident, but even taking her account into it I can understand why the PF felt there was insufficient evidence to meet the legal definition of rape. 

If the evidence doesn't meet the criteria for being considered rape or enough to take to court why would anyone want someone on trial? Why is it then OK to ruin someone's life over? 

Yes I 100% believe DC wasn't lying and felt that it was rape, but I can only say that with hindsight that the two accused on the night didn't have. 

Anyone who has ever had a drunken one night stand could suddenly find themselves in the same situation if the definition and / or evidence required was lowered. 

Ultimately unless we were there we won't truly know and that's what makes conviction rates so low. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

A bold claim. The PF not having enough evidence to convict him doesn't mean Goodwillie isn't a rapist. The lifting your doing here says a lot, and that is far more worrying than Goodwillie becoming bankrupt through a civil case after (in all probability) raping someone. 

In the UK we have something called "innocent until proven guilty" 

Last I checked he wasn't convicted of rape, therefore he's not a rapist. 

So yes, not having enough evidence does absolutely mean he's not a rapist. 

7 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

You wonder sometimes why people think us Clyde fans are wankers and then you see some of us dishing out whatabootery re: rape. Absolutely disgusting. “Well actually I think you’ll find civil courts blah blah”. Genuinely read what you’re typing back to yourself out loud lads.

Perhaps you should also follow your own advice. You are the one who stated his reprehensible behaviour as fact.

4 hours ago, Rugby Is Terrible said:

Would this be your stance if it was your wife/daughter or other loved one was the victim? 

What would your stance be if the police turn up at your door and say your son has been accused of rape? Would you just accept it, would you just accept that in someone’s opinion is he probably did do it, would that be enough for you?

Edited by Pride Of The Clyde

23 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

Saw Jackie Macnamara behind me last night at the game…wondering who he was watching ??? He’s currently doing some sort of work with Dunfermline 

Hopefully bid coming in for our centre forward…………………………………,,,,,don’t panic…….,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean Rob Jones 😂😂😂

8 hours ago, Bob731 said:

Saw Jackie Macnamara behind me last night at the game…wondering who he was watching ??? He’s currently doing some sort of work with Dunfermline 

Kyle McDonald just joined Airdrie on loan from Dunfermline before Tuesday’s game so it may have been him.

2 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Kyle McDonald just joined Airdrie on loan from Dunfermline before Tuesday’s game so it may have been him.

I think his agency also represents a cupla Airdrie players as their agents. 

18 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

What would your stance be if the police turn up at your door and say your son has been accused of rape? Would you just accept it, would you just accept that in someone’s opinion is he probably did do it, would that be enough for you?

If the evidence produced against my son was identical to the Goodwillie case then absolutely it would be enough. It’s incredible that fans will defend a rapist because he can score goals in bottom end of Scottish football 

4 minutes ago, Rugby Is Terrible said:

If the evidence produced against my son was identical to the Goodwillie case then absolutely it would be enough. It’s incredible that fans will defend a rapist because he can score goals in bottom end of Scottish football 

FFS guys can we have a little grace here? 

All matters Goodwilliewise have been discussed in granular detail. Other teams' fans are provoking us: you don't need to react.

When we respond a 'Scots Law for Idiots' post or a hypothetical, 'what if it was...' we are lobbing paraffin onto our own bin fire.