Jump to content

Clyde FC; Season 2022-23


Recommended Posts


On the balance of probabilities.

Imo a crime as serious as rape and a label as damaging as rapist should not be decided in a civil court without the burden of proof. Whilst I understand proof can be difficult to obtain in a rape case, it should be a criminal court matter not a civil court matter.

How many other rape cases have been decided in a civil court? And more pertinently why was this particular case taken there?

The reason they go to civil court is because rape cases very rarely end up being taken further in criminal court due to the fact that they are notoriously difficult to prove.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was found not guilty by judge and jury ? What more must the guy do? Why would he apologise for something he had been found not guilty of? 
Jesus christ, he wasn't found not guilty.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


The reason they go to civil court is because rape cases very rarely end up being taken further in criminal court due to the fact that they are notoriously difficult to prove.

Can’t be that hard to prove, you’ve already found him guilty

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I probably wouldn’t have my kids getting a jersey with his name on the back….however does the guy deserve to be chased out of every club he’s linked with by a mob of supporters? When he was found not humility by a civilian jury or random choosing? 
 

his life was dragged through a court and found not guilty of the alleged crime? What other lengths can he go to to be allowed to get on with his career 

Stop talking shite.

He was never found not guilty. 

If you want to defend him or his right to play for falkirk or clyde or whomever, that's up to you, but you're blatantly lying. It never went to criminal court. A Judge found against him in a civil court. 

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

He appealed this judgement, and lost the appeal. 

Wind yer neck in ya utter melt. 

Edited by AndyDD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


Of course it doesn’t lessen it and I’ve just told you why. No job in the world reduces the chance of you raping someone unless you’re talking about locking them in a room by themselves.

He can absolutely have a life after what he did but it absolutely shouldn’t be as a footballer where he is adored by a number of people or where he is seen as a “hero” to people. Idk if you have kids, but if you do are you comfortable with them looking up to a guy that did that and worshipping him?

There is, clearly, a huge difference in risk between jobs which require close contact with individuals and ones which are observed by dozens of peers, and at times hundreds of spectators. I assume you're being deliberately obtuse here.

The key in what you're saying is a guy who *did* that. It should, of course, never be forgotten, but nobody among us knows just how different a person Goodwillie is now versus the one who *probably* committee a rape that night. I'd wager pretty different, given the extensive damage it has done to him and the fact he now has a daughter of his own.

Folk are also jumping to conclusions about the "hero" tag. I wouldn't use it for him personally given the ambiguity which can arise from its use in isolation, but in purely footballing terms he is an absolute hero to Clyde FC. Just because someone regards a figure as a hero whenever they exist within a 110x60m rectangle does not necessarily mean they grant the same status, or any similar one, to them outside of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

The key in what you're saying is a guy who *did* that. It should, of course, never be forgotten, but nobody among us knows just how different a person Goodwillie is now versus the one who *probably* committee a rape that night. I'd wager pretty different, given the extensive damage it has done to him and the fact he now has a daughter of his own.

Aye, he’s the real victim in all of this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

There is, clearly, a huge difference in risk between jobs which require close contact with individuals and ones which are observed by dozens of peers, and at times hundreds of spectators. I assume you're being deliberately obtuse here.

The key in what you're saying is a guy who *did* that. It should, of course, never be forgotten, but nobody among us knows just how different a person Goodwillie is now versus the one who *probably* committee a rape that night. I'd wager pretty different, given the extensive damage it has done to him and the fact he now has a daughter of his own.

Folk are also jumping to conclusions about the "hero" tag. I wouldn't use it for him personally given the ambiguity which can arise from its use in isolation, but in purely footballing terms he is an absolute hero to Clyde FC. Just because someone regards a figure as a hero whenever they exist within a 110x60m rectangle does not necessarily mean they grant the same status, or any similar one, to them outside of it.

David Goodwillie was playing for Dundee United, doing well and was as you say "observed by dozens of peers, and at times hundreds of spectators". And yet, strangely enough he still managed to rape someone. You can accuse me of being deliberately obtuse but I'd say it's far more likely you are being downright thick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 in 16 (6.5%) men are rapists. (2002 Lisak study), although other studies show as high as nearly 15%, or 1 in 7 men.

So statistically most football squads have a rapist playing for them.

Statistically, you'll probably have a family member or a friend who has raped.

There's many rapists that are not prosecuted but carry on without the publicity that Goodwillie has received.

Will you be so concerned when your partner let's a random electrician or a plumber into the house?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

David Goodwillie was playing for Dundee United, doing well and was as you say "observed by dozens of peers, and at times hundreds of spectators". And yet, strangely enough he still managed to rape someone. You can accuse me of being deliberately obtuse but I'd say it's far more likely you are being downright thick. 

My word. I'm talking about while at work, you complete and utter dullard. Who out of a visiting electrician, for example, and a professional footballer is the greater threat to an individual? If you can't think of the answer then please don't hesitate to ask for a clue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I probably wouldn’t have my kids getting a jersey with his name on the back….however does the guy deserve to be chased out of every club he’s linked with by a mob of supporters? When he was found not humility by a civilian jury or random choosing? 
 

his life was dragged through a court and found not guilty of the alleged crime? What other lengths can he go to to be allowed to get on with his career 

Do you want to try that one again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

1 in 16 (6.5%) men are rapists. (2002 Lisak study), although other studies show as high as nearly 15%, or 1 in 7 men.

So statistically most football squads have a rapist playing for them.

Statistically, you'll probably have a family member or a friend who has raped.

There's many rapists that are not prosecuted but carry on without the publicity that Goodwillie has received.

Will you be so concerned when your partner let's a random electrician or a plumber into the house?
 

If I was aware that said plumber or electrician was a rapist then I'd be fairly concerned, aye. 

3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

My word. I'm talking about while at work, you complete and utter dullard. Who out of a visiting electrician, for example, and a professional footballer is the greater threat to an individual? If you can't think of the answer then please don't hesitate to ask for a clue.

So the public are safe for a few hours during the week (or however long Clyde train for) and for a couple of hours on a Saturday. Big deal. It's a ridiculously flawed argument in the first place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

So the public are safe for a few hours during the week (or however long Clyde train for) and for a couple of hours on a Saturday. Big deal. It's a ridiculously flawed argument in the first place. 

It's not really though, is it, and surely even someone as dense as yourself must be able to cede that? You've also conveniently ignored every single adjoining point to that particular argument, such is your inability to keep up.

While I'm sure "hang the b*****d" or "they should be entitled to no happiness whatsoever" for anyone *likely* to have committed whatever crimes you deem to have "crossed the line" probably sounds like a great idea in your own head, society has thankfully moved beyond that in recent centuries. Maybe you'll get there soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If I was aware that said plumber or electrician was a rapist then I'd be fairly concerned, aye. 

So should all unconvicted, suspected rapists who are plumbers, electricians, joiners, carpet cleaners, kitchen fitters, plasterers etc be prohibited from carrying out their trade? Should they all be made to sign on and claim benefits for life at tax payers expense?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So should all unconvicted, suspected rapists who are plumbers, electricians, joiners, carpet cleaners, kitchen fitters, plasterers etc be prohibited from carrying out their trade? Should they all be made to sign on and claim benefits for life at tax payers expense?
 

People can still use them if they like. I know I wouldn’t. Given that Clyde fans don’t seem to mind that sort of thing I’m sure they’d find work somewhere.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Stop talking shite.

He was never found not guilty. 

If you want to defend him or his right to play for falkirk or clyde or whomever, that's up to you, but you're blatantly lying. It never went to criminal court. A Judge found against him in a civil court. 

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

He appealed this judgement, and lost the appeal. 

Wind yer neck in ya utter melt. 

I’ll apologise, I only seen it mentioned on the Falkirk thread that he had been through the courts, I hadn’t taken the time to read into it….

obviously in any case then He shouldn’t still be playing football certainly in any of the pyramid tiers in Scottish football. 
 

as for your reply, it’s obviously compulsory to finish any sentence with an insult in airdrie so I’ll let you off seen as it’s clearly just in your nature 👍🏼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • the_bully_wee changed the title to Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...