Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

29 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

My impression that Goodwillie had an additional job for was from this article

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/17970153.danny-lennon-hails-perfect-professional-david-goodwillie-getting-life-track-rape-shame/

things change- hes defo no working outside fitba and yer wages comment is stand goss... whatever number yoos have came up wae

42 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

With our limited funds, who do you honestly think we could sign? In truth we can only hope to capture players who are not playing with their current team. If they're not playing,  how could anyone say that player x or y is good enough? This is exactly why our close season signing activity was shit.

Limited funds?

If Goodwillie isn't working elsewhere, then that just further proves that he's on a very healthy wage relative to the rest of our squad. With that said, 'JBJ' has previous for needlessly challenging people on topics he supposedly has ITK info surrounding, even back when he didn't type in broken Scottish slang.

6 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

If Goodwillie isn't working elsewhere, then that just further proves that he's on a very healthy wage relative to the rest of our squad. With that said, 'JBJ' has previous for needlessly challenging people on topics he supposedly has ITK info surrounding, even back when he didn't type in broken Scottish slang.

Was he not on about 25k a week at Blackburn? 😂 I’m sure there’ll be other reasons than the wage Clyde are giving him just now 

14 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

😂

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Was he not on about 25k a week at Blackburn? 😂 I’m sure there’ll be other reasons than the wage Clyde are giving him just now 

I doubt he'd have signed a 3.5 year contract with us, having been the subject of serious interest from full-time clubs in the preceding year, if the terms of the deal didn't make him our top earner by some distance. I don't purport to have any first-hand or inside information, but there is a pretty unanimous consensus among folk who are close to Goodwillie/the club which suggests he isn't on a typical part-time footballer's wage.

20 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would be surprised if it was even half that figure. Even Blackburn's more established players back then I don't think would've been on any more than 30k.

Edited by CM.

2 minutes ago, CM. said:

Would be surprised if it was even half that figure. Even Blackburn's more established players back then I don't think would've been on any more than 30k.

Most papers report it as 20k a week after a quick google. Lancs live described it as a lucrative 4 year deal. Either way he’s going to have some serious cash 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Most papers report it as 20k a week after a quick google. Lancs live described it as a lucrative 4 year deal. Either way he’s going to have some serious cash 

Pretty sure he went bankrupt in 2019 over unpaid taxes. 

11 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I doubt he'd have signed a 3.5 year contract with us, having been the subject of serious interest from full-time clubs in the preceding year, if the terms of the deal didn't make him our top earner by some distance. I don't purport to have any first-hand or inside information, but there is a pretty unanimous consensus among folk who are close to Goodwillie/the club which suggests he isn't on a typical part-time footballer's wage.

"Having been the subject of serious interest from full-time clubs in the preceding year", you say.

Interesting. 

Between Jan 2017 and March 2017, Caledonian Amatuer League team,  Doune Castle was able to sign Goodwillie, despite this "serious interest"?

Worthy of debate as to just who these full-time clubs were showing, "serious interest".

5 minutes ago, Mamtora said:

"Having been the subject of serious interest from full-time clubs in the preceding year", you say.

Interesting. 

Between Jan 2017 and March 2017, Caledonian Amatuer League team,  Doune Castle was able to sign Goodwillie, despite this "serious interest"?

Worthy of debate as to just who these full-time clubs were showing, "serious interest".

2017 was three years before he signed that new contract in early 2020. 

Don't see Goodwillie going anywhere in this window. Nobody will stump up the cash to match our wages, which I'm led to believe take up a good chunk of the playing budget...as you'd expect.

On the player front we should be looking at decent loan signings like the St.Mirren lads from last season.

Right back, a tandem in midfield and big bullying centre half would be lovely!

15 minutes ago, Cutty Sark said:

Don't see Goodwillie going anywhere in this window. Nobody will stump up the cash to match our wages, which I'm led to believe take up a good chunk of the playing budget...as you'd expect.

i think the fact he’s a beast would put clubs off rather than his wages being the problem 

Doubt there will be as many loan signings available with teams worried about players being out with Covid.

We got a fee for Mitchell just before the last transfer window shut so surely we still have that alongside any other available funds.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Does seem there's more in it, this year. Which is odd as you'd have thought the value of player:worth the adverse publicity ratio declines as he gets older.

Would have made more sense if someone had come in for him aged 29 than 32.

I think there is two reasons why more to it this year

1. He is the top scorer not just in L1 but in all of Scotland so that will get you noticed.

2. Have heard on the grapevine that the player would like another shot at a higher level (which is the more worrying thing)

3 hours ago, haufdaft said:

No rumours about incoming players?

I have to admit to my naivety in thinking we would have had players lined up ready to sign immediately in January.

I would be surprised if we sign any player this month as everyone, like DGW, will be under contract, so we wont pay for a player on top of his wages.

Only hope is picking up a few on loan i think.