Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Three, admittedly tough, games until we can (hopefully) strengthen. I’ve heard the usual rumours that we’ve managed to secure a wee bit of funding, so I’d like to think we will see an improvement in the quality of the squad. Fingers crossed we can keep within touch of the teams around us until then.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

Three, admittedly tough, games until we can (hopefully) strengthen. I’ve heard the usual rumours that we’ve managed to secure a wee bit of funding, so I’d like to think we will see an improvement in the quality of the squad. Fingers crossed we can keep within touch of the teams around us until then.

Even if we do somehow get some funding released, I'm not sure we have the expertise to recruit effectively.

Danny's post match comments confirm he is was a bad result away from the exit door. I hope the recruitment team are feeling similar pressure! I think the unbeaten league run has now bought them a transfer window. Let's see what January brings, for me we need at least 3 first team quality players in the door. I think that is a big ask for a team at our level and budget. 

It’s absolutely astounding to me that this present Clyde team is still in contact with the other sides in the lower half of the league.

Danny definitely got a reaction at half time, the players certainly seem to want him there.. the major issue is if he is able to:

a/ have the funding to sign players of any quality to help us escape 

b/ they can actually identify players of any quality.. certainly the trialist yesterday doesn’t fill me with any confidence they can do that. 

Can only live in hope.. wonder if Diamond has anything to say on the subject, I’m waiting in great anticipation.

Remember back when we got the 2 boys from Huddersfield Boyle and Cogil, Danny said he used his “contacts” when he was at st mirren to get them. Wish he would use them again. As far as I’m concerned on Diamond he can’t still get to, I’m pretty sure he does as much as he said at the fan night.

52 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

It’s absolutely astounding to me that this present Clyde team is still in contact with the other sides in the lower half of the league.

The only reason we are in touch is DGW.

If you have the top goalscorer in the country then you would expect to be near the top of the table rather than 9th.

Without DGW we would be easily in 10th.

The only reason we are in touch is DGW.
If you have the top goalscorer in the country then you would expect to be near the top of the table rather than 9th.
Without DGW we would be easily in 10th.

That’s the really frustrating thing, with a player of Goodies quality we could easily be pushing for promotion if we had built a fairly solid but unspectacular League one standard side. He is a difference maker that no other team at this level has. We will rarely (if again) have a player of that quality at our disposal. Instead we are struggling to survive because we have surrounded him mostly with guys who wouldn’t be out of place in the lowland league.

It’s remarkable he’s the top scorer in the full SPFL when you see the dross he is surrounded by every week.

47 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

That’s the really frustrating thing, with a player of Goodies quality we could easily be pushing for promotion if we had built a fairly solid but unspectacular League one standard side. He is a difference maker that no other team at this level has. We will rarely (if again) have a player of that quality at our disposal. Instead we are struggling to survive because we have surrounded him mostly with guys who wouldn’t be out of place in the lowland league.

It’s remarkable he’s the top scorer in the full SPFL when you see the dross he is surrounded by every week.

Totally agree, DGW in say Falkirk’s team and they would be romping things this year

We won’t have a player of DGW ability ever again for the length of time we have as he has only been with us so long due to his well known historic reasons

As a player he is unbelievable what he can produce at times.  

The second goal he scored yesterday is now the type of goal you now expect him to score.  No one else in the team is even capable of scoring such a goal

For this reason only DL should be on his bike as DGW should have been the focal point to build the team around when we got promoted

I'm probably one of the few left who still wants Danny at the club, although at 0-2 on Saturday I was wavering. He is by far the best manager we have had for a long time. 

Looking at the next 5 games:

Alloa away, could go either way given the opposition's management team.

Airdrie home, this will be a tough match I can't see us getting anything from it.

Falkirk away, Our worst performance of the season, so far, last time out but Falkirk seem to be a club on a downward tragectory we need to exploit this.

Queen's Park home, one of the better teams in the league on paper but against us at Broadwood last time you could argue we deserved the win.

Cove home we have had some good results against them the last 2 seasons and we need to do that again.

This takes us to the 8th of January where we can hopefully ship out 7 or 8 and bring in 3 or 4 quality replacements and a couple of loans. I would be willing to give him until then , assuming we take 5 or 6 points.

This takes us to the 8th of January where we can hopefully ship out 7 or 8 and bring in 3 or 4 quality replacements and a couple of loans. I would be willing to give him until then , assuming we take 5 or 6 points.

Against everything I see on the park, I agree that Danny should get one more transfer window.

However your suggestion shows how horrible the recruitment has been under him.

I don't really hold up much hope he'll either ship out 7/8 of the dross or that he is able to identify and bring in 3/4 quality player.

For example, I'd give odds on that Robert Jones is in our starting line up for the first match in February.

On 30/10/2021 at 17:41, Ocelot1877 said:

Off the top of my head some names that are available that might apply could be ( and I’m not endorsing them just pointing out they are available): Stuart Kettlewell, Brian Rice, Gus Macpherson, Darren Young, Peter Grant, David Hopkin, Jim Weir, Gary Bollan. A mixed bag, if we had moved earlier you could also have thrown Stevie Crawford and John Rankin in there. Not to mention the aforementioned unexpected appointment we could get a La Fort William employing one of Roberto Martinez’s Belgiums backroom team Shadab Iftikhar, maybe someone younger looking to kick on their career from the lowland/ WOSL league Gordon Moffat at Clydebank to look back even one week, maybe someone from a backroom team elsewhere wanting to go out on their own. 

Finally we get some actual names suggested for a successor so thanks for that, Ocelot.  Of the names you mention most of them have recently had bad endings at their most recent club.  MacPherson certainly has lots of managerial experience by now so who knows, he may be a possibility.  I'd favour someone with experience of managing at our level over a leftfield appointment any day of the week.