Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Someone ask Danny if he has Paul Watsons phone number and if he does tell him to use it.

Would also be good if our chairman would elaborate on the positive performances he has seen this season as mentioned in his recent statement. As I haven’t seen them….

Unfortunately wont be able to attend tonight due to family commitments.

But like most people would just like honest answer at to whether the signings were all DL first choice or whether they were as I expect his 2nd or 3rd choices or more maybe worse for that position.

Why was the policy to sign 25 of mostly dross when surely the prudent approach would be so sign 14 players who could realistically compete

What is the plan going forward to avoid the bottom 2 places this season.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

8 hours ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

People heading to broadwood tonight, what sort of questions will you all be asking ? I have a few in mind but interested to see if people have the same sort of ideas. 

Things we learned tonight:

The Arria looks great.

We have invested big time in sport science.

We have invested big time in The Diamond Corr mob who have match analysts at opposition games and provides reports 

PJ sits in the stand and gives regular update to Danny.

PJ is no IT guru and could only share some of his lap top output.

We were led into false beliefs that guys were gonna sign but they were actually using us to negotiate better deals.

We missed out in a number of signings

Danny talked about his tenner at the club

DL made a rousing case for retaining his job based on 4 promotions, 2 play offs and a league cup win

Dominic Diamond said one word all night. "Lions" although he could have meant "Lyons". 

DL believes things will turn for the better. 

We decided not to train tonight and instead played Gretna in a bounce match with a good few 1st team regulars included in our team.

DL, the chairman, Matty& Corr came over well.  The audience of around 35 listened respectfully and asked question on signings, midfielders, confidence, corners...

When asked if he had anything to say Diamond said; “No!” 

Helpful eh?

Basically, looks like Danny was convinced he had several players coming (and seemed to agree to sign) only for them to accept more money from other sides. 

Lennon as passionate as ever and essentially claiming he will see us out of this… January will need to be miracle time I think.

Would've been nice if he used some examples of players who were "in the door" before going elsewhere but appreciate it would probably come across unprofessional. 

Post above has pretty much covered everything although perhaps should've been more discussion than powerpoint presentations. 

Only stayed for the first half of the bounce game but we were 1-0 up with Kennedy scoring a decent goal. Shape varied from 352 to 442 with Mortimer as a RB/RWB and Docherty as LCB/LB at times. Page and Balatoni made up the defence. Deveney, Splaine, Nicoll and Kennedy in midfield with McGrath partnering Jones. 

I thought the forum was good.

Danny was humble about our form, some of the decisions he has made and very frank about the difficulties we experienced in recruiting players over the summer. He gave a strong and timely defence of himself in response to the criticism he's faced recently while never coming over as bitter about it. Whatever else might be said about him, he loves Clyde: the supporters, his staff and the players. That comes over more so than with any other Clyde manager I can remember.

There was a good explanation given by both Danny and PJ about the approach the club has to recruitment and who is the ultimate decision maker. That's Danny, for the avoidance of doubt. The performance, match and opposition analysis operations we have are clearly methodical and akin to what you see even at the bigger clubs. And they're more generously staffed than I'd thought. On its face that's all very encouraging.

Perhaps the most encouraging takeaway is that we're actively looking to recruit. That is, right this minute and with a mind to January in particular. We're actively looking at players and making inquiries about bringing them in. The clearest hint given on that front was that a loan of one or more players from Celtic, Rangers or St.Mirren might be possible in January.

As someone else wrote, it would've been better to devote more time to the Q&A with Danny. These events usually see supporters grow in confidence the longer they go on and I think a couple of hours should be set aside for the next forum if possible. But that's a very minor criticism. Nobody could say they didn't have a chance to speak.

I would've liked to pry a bit more into his opinions on some of our central defenders and midfielders.

What more can you say...

Danny said something I think we can all sympathise with: that he hates to use Barry Cuddihy anywhere else but in the middle of the park such is his importance to the midfield. But he recognises that he's been just about the best choice for right-back at the same time so he's been torn with that decision. He also mentioned the loss of Mitchell and highlighted Mitchell's ability to distribute the ball accurately as something that's hard to replace, without suggesting that it has been the cause of our poor form of course.

I think on the should he stay or go question, his mind is made up: he'll never walk. He loves the job too much. Fair play to him. For us supporters, I still think the question is: who comes in with a better record? I couldn't name anyone. I think we're best lining up behind him and the team until there's a loss of spirit akin to what we saw with Bomber and Millar. For myself I think we're miles away from that still. A few Montrose-style performances could get us there. But I prefer to think we'll stick it out however patchily until January and start to compete better then, once we've strengthened. We are only a couple of good results and pieces of good luck off the play-off spots after all.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Things we learned tonight:

The Arria looks great.

WHO CARES WHAT THE ARRIA LOOKS LIKE 

We have invested big time in sport science.

WHAT IS THE SCIENCE SAY - “NOT GOOD ENOUGH” HOPEFULLY

We have invested big time in The Diamond Corr mob who have match analysts at opposition games and provides reports 

THAT WOULD BE EASY CUT AND PASTE JOB EACH WEEK - “THIS TEAM GOING TO PUMP US NEXT WEEK”

PJ sits in the stand and gives regular update to Danny.

DANNY IT LOOKS S*** UP HERE ALSO

PJ is no IT guru and could only share some of his lap top output.

We were led into false beliefs that guys were gonna sign but they were actually using us to negotiate better deals.

THAT HAPPENS IN ALL WALKS OF LIFE. MOVE ON AND DEAL WITH

We missed out in a number of signings

GOOD TO KNOW HOW MANY - 1, 2, 3 or 15,16,17 OR SOMETHING IN BETWEEN

Danny talked about his tenner at the club

DL made a rousing case for retaining his job based on 4 promotions, 2 play offs and a league cup win

DISTANT PAST - LAST SEASON AND THIS HAVE BEEN S***

Dominic Diamond said one word all night. "Lions" although he could have meant "Lyons". 

DL believes things will turn for the better. 

OBVIOUSLY HE WOULD - I DISAGREE

We decided not to train tonight and instead played Gretna in a bounce match with a good few 1st team regulars included in our team.

DL, the chairman, Matty& Corr came over well.  The audience of around 35 listened respectfully and asked question on signings, midfielders, confidence, corners...

Comments above to each point in bold and caps to stand out 

Interesting meeting. The way I saw the meeting:

Interesting that Head of Football Operations, Graham Diamond, chose to say absolutely nothing when the main theme of the questions and one of the presentations were about recruitment. Why did he even bother to turn up?

I was trying to think of the player Lennon mentioned who played in the championship, indicated he was signing for us then signed for a League two team. I wondered if it was a certain ex Alloa player.

Curious that with all the effort both financially and man hours spent that our recruitment is so poor

Lennon definitely isn't happy with many of his squad. Am I wrong to suggest that he indicated that some in the squad are mentally weak (in football terms)?

We've now recruited a sports psychologist. We're certainly putting a lot of our resources into the sports sciences. It needs to pay off at some point surely.

We've signed two right backs and still Danny things Cuddihy is the best right back at the club.

There was suggestions that we seek some loans from the old firm in January. Hopefully, we're looking at loans from other clubs too.

Lennon also stated that he is very grateful for the support from the board. He again stated he takes full responsibility for the situation we're in. Head of football operations, Graham Diamond said nothing! Credit to Danny Lennon for taking on the full responsibility (although I'd blame Robert Jones)

Staunch defence of his position by the manager. He said he was going nowhere and loves the club as much as we do.

Danny said he wasn't patronising the fans in attendance. With respect, I think he did patronise a little. That irritates me more than it should.

Disappointed that it didn't have the Falkirk level of entertainment but a worthwhile exercise by the club that I'm glad will be repeated.

One thing I didn't mention was something that was discussed on this forum just as last season ended. That was the business of budgets and when the manager gets an amount of certainty about those so that he can recruit.

I remember a thread of conversation which saw some supporters argue that it was unrealistic to expect budgetary certainty towards the end of last season with our fate hanging in the balance. Other supporters argued that it was realistic because, for example, Montrose were signing players when their fate too hung in the balance. Albeit we were looking over our shoulder and Montrose were looking up to the prospect of playing in the Championship. The same rules apply.

It seems that Danny has asked and we're going to try in future to speed-up the budgeting process so that we can get as much certainty as possible as early as possible, all so that we can get an edge which we might (just might, mind) have lacked in the player market before now. So those supporters who argued that we should've or could've been signing players just when Montrose were doing the same at the end of last season had a point. It seems we can do better there.

One thing I didn't mention was something that was discussed on this forum just as last season ended. That was the business of budgets and when the manager gets an amount of certainty about those so that he can recruit.
I remember a thread of conversation which saw some supporters argue that it was unrealistic to expect budgetary certainty towards the end of last season with our fate hanging in the balance. Other supporters argued that it was realistic because, for example, Montrose were signing players when their fate too hung in the balance. Albeit we were looking over our shoulder and Montrose were looking up to the prospect of playing in the Championship. The same rules apply.
It seems that Danny has asked and we're going to try in future to speed-up the budgeting process so that we can get as much certainty as possible as early as possible, all so that we can get an edge which we might (just might, mind) have lacked in the player market before now. So those supporters who argued that we should've or could've been signing players just when Montrose were doing the same at the end of last season had a point. It seems we can do better there.
The reason for the delay in fixing of budgets was entirely down to the performance of last season's team.

If Danny doesn't want that uncertainty again he needs to get the team away from the possibly of relegation well before the end of the season.

Other interesting point he made was when asked about the midfield needing a better sitting player or words to that effect, encouragingly he said he’d love a more creative player who would carry the ball and commit players Dylan Easton type (ironic or what), which of course is 100% correct, at present we have zero creativity.

9 hours ago, haufdaft said:

The reason for the delay in fixing of budgets was entirely down to the performance of last season's team.

If Danny doesn't want that uncertainty again he needs to get the team away from the possibly of relegation well before the end of the season.

The uncertainty brought about by not knowing what league you'll play in doesn't help, for sure. But to say it was entirely down to the performance of the team and, connectedly, the fact that we flirted with relegation is not true.

Just consider that if what you've written was true, this problem would inhibit successful sides as well as unsuccessful sides. Hence my Montrose example. There will be some budget which a club knows it can put aside for players wages even while it doesn't know what league it'll be in. Of course because it's a partial picture of the budget, it makes things tough. But even that partial picture may enable some recruitment if the players targeted have modest wage demands. I'm sure Montrose signed a player from outside the seniors quite late last season for example. He may not have had huge wage demands as such. And so they could take the risk of his wage irrespective of their fate, knowing that he was good enough for league one or potentially for the Championship in their judgement.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

16 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

I didn't even know the person next to Danny last night was Diamond until I came on here :lol: Which sums up his input on the night.

Quite embarrassing actually, given that the main points of the discussion was in relation recruitment I think it’s pretty poor he said absolutely nothing, even when invited to contribute. Zero leadership not impressed!

Give Danny his due… never hid and at least faced up to the difficult situation for him, although most will say of his own making I suppose ie recruitment.

I wasn't there last night as I didn't really see the point, though I still greatly appreciate the posters who've detailed what was said.

We know Danny Lennon always speaks well and clearly cares about the club but that doesn't mask both his own and the players poor performances for both last and this season.

I can understand it would have been extremely frustrating to line up several signings and have them fall through at the last minute but, ultimately, the manager and recruitment team will be judged by the players they actually brought to the club, not those they almost did. And it's obvious to the fans, and seemingly the manager himself, that far too many of them are nowhere near good enough.

I wasn't expecting much but if we're really only holding out some hope of a couple of loan signings in January, I can't see any dramatic improvements being made. Otoo came in last year and did well but most take too long to get up to speed and contribute positively.

It's very poor Diamond barely spoke as hearing what he actually offers might have been the one interesting point of the night.

Most concerning to me was that even with the amount of effort and cost expended the recruitment process, it has failed to produce a decent squad for League One.

The professionals didn't see what we as fans could easily identify as poor signings.

This isn't said in hindsight. There are plenty of posts preseason.

Danny had to keep referring to the preseason friendlies as examples of good performances.

Says it all.

12 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I was trying to think of the player Lennon mentioned who played in the championship, indicated he was signing for us then signed for a League two team. I wondered if it was a certain ex Alloa player.

I'm not sure this "players told us they were signing but were actually using us to get better offers" makes sense. Lets say this is Ray Grant being discussed here as an example, if he was using Clyde's offer to force more money out of another club, he doesn't have to tell Danny Lennon he intends to sign for him. Grant could easily (and is more likely to) say "Let me think it over and I'll get back to you" rather than committing to signing. Grant has played for Danny and Clyde before, is he really going to f**k you about like that? More to the point, he would've been a big signing for Clyde and a starter every week, is Lennon really admitting that Clyde can't pay more for their star centre midfielder than Stirling Albion can in League 2? That would concern me. 

• the_bully_wee changed the title to Clyde FC; Season 2022-23