Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

From what I’ve heard, Nicoll is great to have around the club and at this level, his experience is invaluable. He’ll likely be on meagre terms and won’t play often if at all. Here’s hoping we’ve had the feelers out and players will be announced as soon as the playoffs are done with.

Guest andyp1301

Rumsby gives 100% - has his challenges, but dependable on for full effort - probably 3 rd choice CB next year.

Nicoll? What a change he made to our goal concessions when he returned. He kept the shape in midfield, constantly talking the kids through it. Protected the back 4 where previously the opposition's midfield were walking through our midfield and onto our back line. Needs to stop the lunges near the box for sure. As someone else said...hugely influential and popular in the dressing room, and well worth a contract. Hopefully an apology too from the Board for only giving him Amateur contract previously.

Interesting that Nicoll finished joint second in the player of year table having started half the games Goodie did.

Goodie got 29 points from 24 starts which is an average of  1.21 points per match.

Nicoll got 15 points from 12 starts which is an average of 1.25 points per match.

Clearly worth a contract, as his form according to the owners MOM system, was better than Goodie......lolz.

7 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

From what I’ve heard, Nicoll is great to have around the club and at this level, his experience is invaluable. He’ll likely be on meagre terms and won’t play often if at all. Here’s hoping we’ve had the feelers out and players will be announced as soon as the playoffs are done with.

Don’t disagree that he may have an influence in dressing room etc. If that’s why he’s been offered something why not say that “offered a coaching role but registered as a player for emergency”

it’s not an optimist optic if that’s the standard of player being offered terms.

similar to Rumsby, who I actually “love” I said in the playoff year he was pound for pound Lennon’s best signing. However, his time has come as has I would controversially say Ally Love... sorry but I fear a season too far for him. Hate saying it and I’ll accept the abuse when it comes. 
Said before I worry about Howie’s fitness and as for Norway.... made of paper absolutely if not pay as you play then absolutely no chance, waste of time otherwise. 

2 hours ago, andyp1301 said:

Rumsby gives 100% - has his challenges, but dependable on for full effort - probably 3 rd choice CB next year.

Nicoll? What a change he made to our goal concessions when he returned. He kept the shape in midfield, constantly talking the kids through it. Protected the back 4 where previously the opposition's midfield were walking through our midfield and onto our back line. Needs to stop the lunges near the box for sure. As someone else said...hugely influential and popular in the dressing room, and well worth a contract. Hopefully an apology too from the Board for only giving him Amateur contract previously.

Interesting that Nicoll finished joint second in the player of year table having started half the games Goodie did.

Goodie got 29 points from 24 starts which is an average of  1.21 points per match.

Nicoll got 15 points from 12 starts which is an average of 1.25 points per match.

Clearly worth a contract, as his form according to the owners MOM system, was better than Goodie......lolz.

Rumsby was fourth choice centre half this season and ended up playing more games than any of the others. It's a position where you need four options and they'll all end up playing. You need options that don't routinely concede easy possession and get bullied. The only time Rumsby has looked anything beyond the dud that Cowdenbeath released is in the second half of 18-19 when we were defending 60 yards away from our goal. It's an absolutely laughable contract offer and makes me worried about what business we have planned.

Nicoll isn't worthy of a contract at all. Two important penalties given away, two horrendous tackles that should have seen red cards. An improvement to our defensive record but at what cost; we spent entire halves of matches defending deep in our own half. He could protect the midfield better if he didn't give the ball away constantly. If he's here to play in Glasgow cup ties and for the last ten minutes of matches, fair enough. If he's starting in this division, we're in massive trouble.

The simple fact is that neither of them would anywhere near one of the other teams in the division and that marks them out as players who should have been let go.

John Gibson finished second in MotM voting one year. I'd not read anything into that.

I actually feel a sorry for McNiff to be honest. As a CH he is actually ok, been a bit of a scapegoat over last 2 years. Not saying he necessarily be retained 
People forget who actually equalised in play off final, Ally Love get huge credit quite rightly for the penalty winner I get that but McNiff’s contribution to the Clyde cause should be mentioned somewhere by the club I feel. 

Guest andyp1301
2 hours ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Honestly can’t fathom retaining Rumsby! What is it that Danny sees in him that pretty much everybody else fails to? ‘Gives you effort’ is absolutely no justification; I’d give you effort if you started me but that doesn’t mean I can play for shit 😆

He has had ample opportunity to prove himself with three seasons under his belt now and his contribution has been minimal at best. Not good enough to start, certainly not good enough to come on and shore up/raise the game, so what’s the point? His desired retention can only indicate that he is part of next season’s plan, which is baffling and worrying in equal measure.

I think we would need 3 CB's....or even the ability to bring him on to play with 5 at back if protecting an advantage......Danny's decision though and I feel sure he knows his reasons and is better qualified  than either of us to make the decision. I guess the new signings will give is all a clearer picture.

Guest andyp1301
26 minutes ago, David W said:

Rumsby was fourth choice centre half this season and ended up playing more games than any of the others. It's a position where you need four options and they'll all end up playing. You need options that don't routinely concede easy possession and get bullied. The only time Rumsby has looked anything beyond the dud that Cowdenbeath released is in the second half of 18-19 when we were defending 60 yards away from our goal. It's an absolutely laughable contract offer and makes me worried about what business we have planned.

Nicoll isn't worthy of a contract at all. Two important penalties given away, two horrendous tackles that should have seen red cards. An improvement to our defensive record but at what cost; we spent entire halves of matches defending deep in our own half. He could protect the midfield better if he didn't give the ball away constantly. If he's here to play in Glasgow cup ties and for the last ten minutes of matches, fair enough. If he's starting in this division, we're in massive trouble.

The simple fact is that neither of them would anywhere near one of the other teams in the division and that marks them out as players who should have been let go.

John Gibson finished second in MotM voting one year. I'd not read anything into that.

As ever we all defer to your incredible knowledge of football and wonderful analysis....it's such a waste of your talent running the school team.......;)))))))). Seriously, have you ever considered offering yourself to Danny as a consultant DW?

Bold and brave decisions on those not offered a new contract.  I believe that contract renewals 2 years ago were based on emotions not performance.  Probably easy to offer contracts to each of the players released but hopefully we are looking to improve in every one of these positions. 

I'd  offer my thanks to all those leaving.  I couldn't,  in good conscience, justify Rumbsy over McNiff or Nicoll over Lamont...

Rumsby being offered terms is my only big question mark against Danny's decisions there. I'd like to think he wouldn't be on much money and being kept on as a backup as it would be lunacy to keep him to start and not offer the wages to a better centre back. As others have said can understand Nicoll a wee bit if it's more to have around the place and play a minimal amount. 

It's been well documented already how good servants Lamont and particularly McNiff have been as well as offering some memorable moments during their time with us so my thanks to them too. They should get a decent league 2 club no problem. 

I thought Bain would've been a decent enough signing at the time but he never offered much at all. McGlinchey played a good part in our winning goal to keep us up when he moved the ball quickly but ultimately for an international footballer he takes far too long in possession and I can't remember him offering anything of note other than for that goal. Robertson can perhaps be slightly unlucky as although he didn't start the season great he played well in the last couple of games and still has age on his side. Will be interested to see his next move. 

It's a crying shame that Otoo will be playing in the Lowland League for Celtic colts next season. He is an absolute country mile above that standard.

Edited by C. Muir

Rumsby wasn't 4th choice CB, McNiff was.  The partnership was usually a mix of Rumsby / Lang / Howie.  Even in the promotion season, McNiff was filling in at left back.  It's not his preferred position granted, but playing there, pace was a real problem & we saw that again in the most recent Falkirk game when he came on for Otoo. 

McNiff has been a great servant to the club but I agreed it was time for thanks & good luck for the future.

Irrespective of individuals, that's the barebones of a squad now.   There will need to be quite a few signings, hopefully not the majority being loanees though a couple of the right quality is fine.  Basic premise that if you let players go it's because you're going to bring in better and that'll equate to money.  So it'll be interesting to see if the budget is increased and who we're able to get in for what will be quite a few different positions

I see that Matthew Shiels has signed a two year deal at Hamilton. I felt he had a bit of potential that would have developed over a full season, but I am surprised he hasn't dropped further down the pyramid.

The more I think about it the more I think letting Lamont & McNiff go is daft, they would be perfect back up, if Lamont would get himself fitter I don’t think he would Be away but we all know he is a great player on his day and can change a game.

i feel letting Lamont and McGlinchy go there must a couple of midfielders already lined up 

This has been a difficult season for every player, we lost 3 very good midfielders in Grant, Mcstay and Rankin and they were not replaced and then weeks later brought in a load of 17/18 year olds on loan.. I believe if we had kept at least one lf them we wouldn’t have finished as badly as we did we should have went all out to keep Grant.

Losing these players the full team struggled and form dipped. We have the shell of a good team just need to add 3/4 right players and we have a steady top 4 League One team in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

The more I think about it the more I think letting Lamont & McNiff go is daft, they would be perfect back up, if Lamont would get himself fitter I don’t think he would Be away but we all know he is a great player on his day and can change a game.

i feel letting Lamont and McGlinchy go there must a couple of midfielders already lined up 

I think part of the problem is Lamont needs to be playing every week to be at his best. He seems to struggle with fitness & sharpness when he's not starting regularly.

He played well in the last 2 games this season but had a couple of absolute shockers before that, and barely featured even with us playing 3 games a week.

Even aside from that I'm not personally convinced he's good enough for League 1 anyway, but I certainly dont think he suits a back up role.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Every decision is a tough one, because you have to weigh up the value of what you're getting from a player versus his wage. Lamont and McNiff are both players who it's not easy to see departing (the latter especially given Rumsby could well be staying), but ultimately their wages were probably very prohibitive in terms of keeping them on as squad players or bench fillers.

Agnew has been off to Darvel for a while I think. Again, one of the things we (and East Fife) are competing with.

We could do worse than McGuigan for a year. I could see him linking up with DGW better than, for example, Russell McLean.