Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

42 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

We're probably awaiting the result of the Lowland League vote tonight.

It will have implications on how many Old Firm colts we take on loan next season

If anyone wants info on the Colts debacle then fire over to the LL forum now. 
Doesn’t look good, looks like the LL have crumbled for the Old firm silver.

shame on them!!!

7 minutes ago, haufdaft said:
36 minutes ago, Mamtora said:
How does that help answer the question about the last pre contract signing?

Who was it then?

I don't know. I presume the poster asking the question didn't know either. Not everyone on here uses subterfuge, rhetoric or litotes!

"Tumshee" Quality! 😀

Edited by Mamtora

I don't know. I presume the poster asking the question didn't know either. Not everyone on here uses subterfuge, rhetoric or litotes!
"Tumshee" Quality! [emoji3]
Sorry my reply didn't meet your strict response criteria.

I don't know the answer to the question. However, if it's okay with you, may I put forward Michael Daly as a suggestion.

1 hour ago, maxruby said:

When was the last time we agreed a pre contract deal with a player? We seem to scrape around the bottom of the “no longer required” barrel.

Barry Ferguson, to his credit, had players agreed to sign up well before the end of the season. Not sure they actually signed anything though.

The last actual pre contract I think was Mick Daly, which was announced to claims we had new found financial stability that allowed us to do such things.

Guest andyp1301
6 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

With everything that's happened this season, staying up has to be considered a success. 

Now we have a pretty challenging season to look forward to in L1, we just need those fucking Brazilian banks to open so we can get that much needed investment. 

Actually what is required is the Board to release funds they are sitting on to Danny, and now. He needs to be out there building a squad capable of avoiding the relegation challenge again, or we could be the Forfar of this season, next season. Look at QP, title winning almost undefeated manager let go.....a CEO with experience in the SPL with 2 clubs....not difficult to note the ambition on the south side.......we are not at the races, and it will show.

Re the Brazilian banks, check your source....is it reliable? Exactly. Time to stop embarrassing yourself with the playground, repetitive, boring jibes which most likely amuses only one or two others and get down to the serious situation we all as Clyde lovers face.......is it going to be different? Or is it going to be another season of struggle for a very good manager due to the lack of support from the Board (despite their protestations of ambition).

Guest andyp1301
8 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Dishing out any pre-contract offers would've been lunacy in the past month or so given the very real possibility of us sinking into L2.

Chicken and egg....ensure the very real possibility of relegation does not exist. For too long now we have been scraping around the bottom of the barrel of available players. It's time we realised this is Clyde, not a diddy Club.

All the conditions which were created for the  promotion winning season have been allowed to fade.....players actually fancying coming to the Club......just not as strong as it was before.

Let's see what effect Graham Diamond will have in the creation of next years squad, but I think his contact book is not overflowing with seasoned pro's, which I think is what is required.

Will be an interesting next few weeks....here's hoping.

I suppose the club can only set its watch by what wage budget is likely to be available for the following season. And to say the obvious, any wage budget estimate would be influenced by the league we expected to be in. But it doesn't necessarily follow that making offers or signing pre-contract agreements before being certain about which league we'll be in would be unwise.

To make the point by example, I wouldn't tell Stewart Petrie that he was unwise to sign Craig Brown from Striling University before knowing if Montrose would be in League One or the Championship next season. Just as Montrose knew when they signed him that they'd be in League One at worst next season, we knew then that we'd be in League Two at worst.

Even in the world of player contracts it's possible to condition offers or pre-contract terms so that both parties can decline, withdraw or terminate as the case may be based on future events. And even if that wasn't so or couldn't easily be done, it's not unthinkable that we could have identified players who'd accept a wage which was tolerable for us whether in League One or League Two. It would only matter that they could do a job in League One if it came to it.

If budget uncertainty has truly had it that we've been unable to make any offers before knowing our fate then that strikes me as a profound financial management problem. One with obvious negative consequences for our ability to compete in the player market.

All that said, I think the most likely picture from behind the scenes is that limited scouting has gone on outside of the senior leagues due to the pandemic. We probably did make our interest known to some players before the end of the season whether by offer or otherwise. And the fact we don't have anyone signed up is simply a product of the extent of competition for the players we're interested in. Lennon alluded to the last part in his end of season message.

Player of the year vote - unanimous?

Howie has done okay and Cuddihy really stepped up in the latter part of the season but no-one gets near Goodwillie this season. A sad indictment on our form, as in previous years a case could be made for a number of other players.

15 minutes ago, David W said:

Player of the year vote - unanimous?

Howie has done okay and Cuddihy really stepped up in the latter part of the season but no-one gets near Goodwillie this season. A sad indictment on our form, as in previous years a case could be made for a number of other players.

100%  agree...the Club could almost be justified in saying;

“No need to hold a vote this year we will be handing the award and trophy to David Goodwillie; just letting you all know!”

Goal of the season shortlist of 8. Had to look through the fixtures again to try and remember 8 good goals this season :lol: I think the list will be..

Cuddihy v Dumbarton 
Goodwillie v Montrose (hat trick goal)
Lamont v Cove 
Howie v Peterhead
Cunningham v Peterhead 
Jack v Falkirk
Jamieson v Forfar 
Lamont v Dumbarton 

Probably missed a glaringly obvious one now. The goals in the 3-0 win at home to Forfar were all decent in their own way but don't think any of them get in the list above ahead of other ones.

edit - my winner would be one of the goals at Peterhead. Howie perhaps shading it for the sheer unexpectedness of his strike.

Edited by C. Muir

55 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Goal of the season shortlist of 8. Had to look through the fixtures again to try and remember 8 good goals this season :lol: I think the list will be..

Cuddihy v Dumbarton 
Goodwillie v Montrose (hat trick goal)
Lamont v Cove 
Howie v Peterhead
Cunningham v Peterhead 
Jack v Falkirk
Jamieson v Forfar 
Lamont v Dumbarton 

Probably missed a glaringly obvious one now. The goals in the 3-0 win at home to Forfar were all decent in their own way but don't think any of them get in the list above ahead of other ones.

edit - my winner would be one of the goals at Peterhead. Howie perhaps shading it for the sheer unexpectedness of his strike.

Mark Lamont's goal against Dunfermline actually won SPFL goal of the month. I'd be surprised if it's not included.

Cunningham at Peterhead for me. That finish is infinitely harder than Howie's.