Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Whilst not surprised at the appointment I’ll wait to see how it pans out. I am also willing to give him a chance.

In all honesty who could we have expected? We are skint and now in L2, homeless and hardly an attractive proposition.

We've been down every road possible in trying to get successful manager in:

Big name;

Ferguson… Failure

Bomber…. Failure

Henry…Failure

Tried Experience:

Lennon..Ultimately Failure

Chapman Failure

So hopefully McLean will be more like our previous inexperienced and not big name, like Maitland or Kernaghan. Even McGovern and Peaso did their job and kept us from oblivion. 

I also hope those who are not renewing season ticket (while I understand the frustration) reconsider. This is a hugely precarious position we find ourselves in and we need every penny to try to get a better player in. Every season ticket will be vital..just my opinion obviously. 

I don’t see any reason why McLean would be any kid of puppet to big, bad,  Jim in the stand. I’m sure he’ll have his own tactics and style in mind and even if he doesn’t, Duffyball (whilst I’m no particular fan of Duffy and I detest the way his teams play) wasn’t any measurable amount more unsuccessful than Lennon’s approach in League One (and Lennon still gets off easily from a large part of our support for last season).

Truthfully, the appointment isn’t a huge surprise. We are, as we’re repeatedly told, skint again and McLean, and Duffy for that matter, are already on the wage bill. Given we’ll still be paying Lennon and Moore, I wouldn’t imagine we had an awful lot of cash to offer to candidates.

People writing him off just as he comes in is mental. #brianmcleansgypsyarmy

Willing to give McLean a chance. Would like to think he will have his own tactics to implement and his own style of play he wants his team to play like. His leadership amongst the squad was there to see on the park and he is clearly respected, hopefully he can help turn our fortunes around next season.

Hopefully we get the finger out now and start recruiting players. As long as they’re not from Gretna, East Kilbride, Larky Thistle or the likes…

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Uninspiring and predictable, fair play to the club, I already can’t be arsed with next season and it’s only early June, that’s got to be a record.

Hopefully a break for a few weeks and some positive signings will improve the outlook. 

4 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

What is not clear from the announcement is whether or not he will continue as a player.  Will he be like Rhys McCabe at Airdrie last season?

Rhys McCabe is only 30 and really should be at his footballing peak and not a 38 year old whose best playing days are behind him. Effectively it's a far easier decision for him not to play. 

4 hours ago, David W said:

In all seriousness, I don't think McLean's roles last season give any real indication of how he will do in this job. It is a blank slate for me. There's been a decent trend recently for this kind of appointment. He can't do any worse than Danny Lennon did over a three season period (probably).

I do think that it's important he appoints an assistant who is a fresh pair of eyes though.

It will be fucking Neil Parry in as GK Coach

Edited by Miguel Ángel Espínola

3 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Whoever works with Howie ask him if he wants to come back after being released from Alloa. 

I thought he would be a decent signing too until I seen he's emigrated to Australia according to Alloa's website. 

Wullie Muir would be a good signing however.

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2023/06/01/squad-update-2/

Edited by Jack Phillips

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

No idea who Brian McLean is. But, give him a chance. Look what Doolan has done for us. 

The point is that it’s effectively the same management team as last seas who got us relegated. 
mid peiple don’t think Duffy will be in and around the dressing room at training and on match day, they’re delusional 

5 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

The point is that it’s effectively the same management team as last seas who got us relegated. 
mid peiple don’t think Duffy will be in and around the dressing room at training and on match day, they’re delusional 

Yeah. I can understand your feelings. Hopefully your new boss will have his own mind to run team affairs.

1 hour ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Why do you think Duffy will be in and around the dressing room and training etc? Genuine question 

If the board wanted Duffy to do all that stuff why wouldn’t they just make him manager?

8 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Why do you think Duffy will be in and around the dressing room and training etc? Genuine question 

If the board wanted Duffy to do all that stuff why wouldn’t they just make him manager?

Because they know the fans are against him being given an extended contract as manager having been unable to prevent relegation, plus his stock is not high with the support from his previous stint at the club...........smoke and mirrors...theres no way Mclean....an untried manager at any level,would have been given the job if Duffy not moved to Director of Football. It's a load of nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Because they know the fans are against him being given an extended contract as manager having been unable to prevent relegation, plus his stock is not high with the support from his previous stint at the club...........smoke and mirrors...theres no way Mclean....an untried manager at any level,would have been given the job if Duffy not moved to Director of Football. It's a load of nonsense. 

Since when did our board care about fans opinions? They have brought back unpopular figures at board level and they just don’t really seem the type to care.

They can’t even register players correctly so I doubt they have the ability to organise a big conspiracy. 

Do you not think that McLean would want to do things his own way? Surely he wants a career in management so how does being a puppet for Duffy help him in that regard?

I just don’t buy it

41 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Since when did our board care about fans opinions? They have brought back unpopular figures at board level and they just don’t really seem the type to care.

They can’t even register players correctly so I doubt they have the ability to organise a big conspiracy. 

Do you not think that McLean would want to do things his own way? Surely he wants a career in management so how does being a puppet for Duffy help him in that regard?

I just don’t buy it

You don’t really know this lt do you?

Of course they care about reaction from fans and if Duffy had been appointed manager the season tickets, which is their lifeblood in close season would have dried up even more. 
If you think Duffy has been briefed to let McLean have full autonomy with the team with nothing but a badge and half a season as player coach under his belt, I’m surprised.

oh the list of clerical faux pas is longer than just losing us the title in our promotion season, but don’t underestimate the strategising- 

they have effectively handed a failed manager total responsibility for the football  dept and stepped away to get on with the social stuff and trying to secure Crown Point

Wonder  if they are calculating the potential issues if Celtic proceed with their vision of building a 5k seater stadium for their ladies team on the Barrowfield site- pretty sure that will be offered to local community clubs to use.

I’m afraid things don’t look so good- be delighted to be proved very wrong.

The amount of people that now seem to be of the opinion that we had a great chance of staying up when Duffy took over, and that relegation is entirely his fault is absolutely nuts. 

I’m no fan of the guy or his football but  there is an awful lot of rewriting of history going on here.