Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

If we had undertaken a proper recruitment process and McLean was the outstanding candidate then fair enough but there's no way that's happened. I doubt Duffy has even spoken to anyone else. Really, really disappointing stuff.

Disappointing ,but entirely predictable.

23 minutes ago, David W said:

We all dream of a day like this:

Screenshot_20230602_095441_Chrome.thumb.jpg.69886008385df4c6141a1c08dc07d740.jpg

I cannot believe we finished behind you lot in the league that season. Obviously you had Goodwillie to paper over the cracks for half the season. But holy moly. June 23 2021 is a real 'where were you' date. I remember sitting refreshing Twitter in my old flat as each signing was announced, with the fear that you were going to pull of a bit of a coup. Before being unable to believe my eyes.

Willing to give him a chance.

It’s slightly underwhelming because it was so predictable but I think some of the comments here are a bit over the top.

McLean was not the reason we were relegated, so him being part of last season’s squad doesn’t make a difference to me. 

Spurs maybe just pipped us to the post for Postecoglou. 

In all seriousness, I don't think McLean's roles last season give any real indication of how he will do in this job. It is a blank slate for me. There's been a decent trend recently for this kind of appointment. He can't do any worse than Danny Lennon did over a three season period (probably).

I do think that it's important he appoints an assistant who is a fresh pair of eyes though.

8 minutes ago, David W said:

In all seriousness, I don't think McLean's roles last season give any real indication of how he will do in this job. It is a blank slate for me. There's been a decent trend recently for this kind of appointment. He can't do any worse than Danny Lennon did over a three season period (probably).

I do think that it's important he appoints an assistant who is a fresh pair of eyes though.

Craig McPherson it is then.

McLean might well turn out to be a decent head coach and if another club had decided to take a chance on him then that's fair enough. However, after such an awful season I expect turnover in the managerial and playing staff, not just a reshuffling of positions. 

If we don't get off to a good start in the new season it just carries on the malaise from last season and becomes even harder to turn around.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Pretty sure McLean either explicitly or implicitly came here in the first place to take steps into coaching so it's not a surprise by any means. Realistically it was going to be a) risking it all on someone from down the pyramid with no real knowledge of football at this level and who has likely been at a club with more resources than most of their peers, b) someone completely beige like Duffy or c) a player at the end of his career. How he did as a player last season is a total irrelevance and there shouldn't be a predisposition against him on that basis from those who didn't rate him.

I'm not exactly going cock-a-hoop over the hire but a rookie manager with an experienced head in-house to help out and advise where needed is definitely the best solution given all of our circumstances at the moment. McLean will have learned plenty in his coaching apprenticeship last season, too; from Lennon, how not to build a squad; from Duffy, how not to play football. Let's see if he has any aces up his sleeve over the summer!

So nothing has changed from last season just titles. We all know McClean is just going to be implementing Duffy ball with Duffy sitting in the stand like some sort of fucking overlord. 

I hope he proves us wrong but this just shows a complete lack of imagination and shows where we are as a club. Rewarding failure as we look to loom to our next disaster as a club. Even if I was on the fence about buying a season ticket this would put me off. Duffy ba for a full season...what year is it? I feel like I've went through a wormhole somehow and came back out in 2011. 

Can't wait for our board next success.

1 hour ago, Fast_Action said:

What is not clear from the announcement is whether or not he will continue as a player.  Will he be like Rhys McCabe at Airdrie last season?

I really, really hope he doesn't continue playing. He'll likely be registered but should only turn out when absolutely necessary. McCabe is a very rare example of where it seems to have worked to some degree, and I hope we're not citing that as an example as to why he should be playing. We've offered Sula and Grant terms, so I'd imagine we're looking for one more centre half to compete with them (with McLean registered too).

Another thing that isn't clear is when we've said in a previous statement that we had offered McLean terms for next season, was that as a player or as a head coach? I would be horrified (but not surprised) if we literally haven't spoken to anyone else about taking on this head coach position.

Not really surprised by the appointment to be honest. Writing was on the wall when Duffy went upstairs as the role works better with an inexperienced coach. I’m absolutely willing to give him a chance and I don’t buy he will be a Duffy continuation, think he will be his own man with his own tactics etc. He clearly has been chasing this role a while and wants to have a future in the game so being a puppet for someone won’t work. 

I have a sneaky feeling based on nothing at all really that Peter Grant jr will be in his coaching team. 

One good thing about the appointment is at least it's out the way and the club can start focussing on bringing bodies in.

We're waaay behind our rivals in terms of recruitment. We don't even know who's has/hasn't accepted terms to stay on from last season.

Edited by Brian Carrigan