Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Can’t believe we’ve offered new deals to Ross Lyon and Euan Cameron. Two absolute bomb scares every time they play.

Quite happy with the rest who have been offered deals. Would like to have kept Mullen and Salkeld but they’re both too good for league 2 and will get decent offers elsewhere I would imagine.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

With this - if Mullen had been offered a real but rejected it, does that protect our right to compensation? You'd think with the likes of Mullen, Salkeld and Roberts we would have at least offered terms even if the chances are they'd have told us to bolt.

Also re: Salkeld - (likely unfounded) whispers that he's been offered terms by one of the borders clubs given where he lives. I'm assuming that'll be Annan and not Queens if true?

You get compensation as long as the deal is the same or better than the last one if rejected

As others have said

1. Amazed that Cameron has been offered a new deal.  One of the worst Clyde players have ever seen.

2. It looks like we didnt even offer Mullen and Salkeld new deals.  If not that is criminal if you offered deals to the likes of Cameron and Lyons.  Now if they were offered new deals and said no (which think they both would have said) then at least say that.  But looks like they havent even had the option of a new deal.

3. Scullion who up to about 6 weeks ago would have put in the category of "one of the worst clyde players have ever seen" has in fairness come on to a decent game the tail end of the season and worth offering a deal.

4. Grant, McLean and Sula happy enough offered terms as they will be ok at L2 level.

5. Cuddihy probably too good for L2 but given his recent injury record might struggle to get a L1 team.

6. Duthie happy to give him another go as his season was pretty much a write off.

If all 8 offered terms accept, then with them, the 3 already contracted and possibly Grant then gives 12 players signed.  Need to sign 2 goalies so that takes us up to 14 which probably leaves about another 6 places to fill.

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Baffled by some of these decisions. I would have at least offered terms to Mullen, Roberts and Salkeld albeit highly unlikely the later two would have signed. 

Grant and McLean can't play together even in league 2 their lack of pace will be a big issue. Can't believe we've offered terms to Cameron and Lyon as well. 

Roberts is away to Alloa, probably been agreed for a while now. Regardless of whether his performances were below par or not, at least he still made himself available for the play off games unlike that charlatan Cunningham.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There's no denying he's an excellent coach. I've never heard a player say a bad word about him.

The fact that players aren't slating him does not mean he's an excellent coach. All that suggests is that he's fairly inoffensive and nice enough guy - neither of which I would dispute. A great coach though? Results and performances suggest otherwise...the exact opposite in fact. 

The number of Duffy apologists in here is astounding. I'm beginning to think oor Jim is spending all his wages on PR.

Edited by RutherGlen

I actually cannot grasp what Ross Lyons is ment to bring to the team other than being a shitebag who can't cross a ball. 

Cemron is a lightweight

McCleans legs are gone, I've seen fucking milk turn quicker than him. 

On the plus side, Cunningham is away. An utter shitebag of a player who thinks he is levels above his actual ability. Will give out a few goals and maybe a few good performances then get injured, come back and be completely anonymous

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

The fact that players aren't slating him does not mean he's an excellent coach. All that suggests is that he's fairly inoffensive and nice enough guy - neither of which I would dispute. A great coach though? Results and performances suggest otherwise...the exact opposite in fact. 

The number of Duffy apologists in here is astounding. I'm beginning to think oor Jim is spending all his wages on PR.

I can only base it on his time at Dumbarton, but a huge number of players explicitly said to me he was a great coach. Morgyn Neill, Ryan McGeever, Rico Quitongo to name but three. I don't think it's because he's a cushy guy either. I heard him dish out some absolute bollockings to players hanging about waiting for post match.

A great coach does not equal a great manager though. And that's probably been Duffy's issue.

9 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Out of interest - who are our picks for managerial candidates?

Not entirely against McLean, but he's never managed before so he's not my first choice. It would be interesting to see if we approach someone like Gordon Moffat at Clydebank. Not sure there's too much else he can do with the Bankies - admittedly 4th place isn't a great finish but I feel like over the piece he's certainly proved to be capable of the step up.

I have no idea if he has an interest in stepping into a head coach role but the Club could do worse than at least ask the question of Lee Sharp. Hes been assistant / first team coach to Goodwin at a few clubs and probably has a decent list of contacts for building a squad. Hes also worked with us before as a coach and if i'm not mistaken played and worked under Duffy before also. 

Edited by BonnieClyde

35 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

Someone who signed Docherty, Rennie & Hynes should be kept as far away from recruitment as possible.

Out of curiosity I wonder how we might be placed legally (i.e. constructive dismissal) if we were to ask Doherty, Rennie and Hynes if they really, really wanted to see out their contracts with us. Even if we could swap them for something of equivalent value like, say, a couple of decent match balls. Just saying...

I don't understand why McLean is being suggested.

He's done a little coaching at the club this season. Is that really enough to get the Clyde position? Do we even know if his coaching was of high quality? Am I missing something?

I'd rather have an experienced head coach who has regularly put a team onto a park and had them performing at a level exceeding expectation. 

Limiting our candidates,as both director of football and head coach, to existing staff from a failed team doesn't strike me as a winning combination for the future.

11 hours ago, Walk Glasgow said:

It would save money if he was player coach - regardless of the merits - and that's all the credibility this board needs sadly.

Player/managers have a habit of not playing - Barry Ferguson was initially hired as such was henot?

5 minutes ago, The 55 said:

Player/managers have a habit of not playing - Barry Ferguson was initially hired as such was henot?

Yeah think he played half a game if I remember correctly? Look how that turned out still the worst manager of Clyde in my lifetime imo.

24 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'd rather have an experienced head coach who has regularly put a team onto a park and had them performing at a level exceeding expectation.

How many of those do you think are lining up a move to Clyde in League 2 on a shit budget? 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How many of those do you think are lining up a move to Clyde in League 2 on a shit budget? 

Maybe I'm being naive but I'd suggest more than you probably think.

Clyde are, after all, a SPFL club with a much higher profile and prestige than any club from the leagues below.

I think most Lowland or WoSL coaches would at least be interested if asked. Add to that there's plenty of jobless experienced managers looking to get back into the game.