Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

If you really want to get rid of the board and try and spark some change then you should probably speak to some of the bigger fan groups like the Glasgow Branch or owners of the club to see if you can garner support to trigger an EGM or even see if you can get the ball rolling with suitable candidates to volunteer and replace what we have and use the owner system to vote out what we have. 

Do you have any other ideas? 

As this thread proves, there are a lot of people who don't like a lot of people. There are very few fresh ideas and that in itself is not a surprise as an organisation we have boxed ourselves in via previous strategic decisions and now cannot find the resources to break the log jam. 

However, one thing I do believe in is that people should stick to what they are 'good' at. Sparking change via the Glasgow Branch would not be a recommendation from me. Too many people full of passion for the club, but no idea how to run a football club/business. DGW episode is a negative, fundraising for the club a positive. Stick to what you can do well.

If the terms offered are in line with both being cheap bench players then fine, otherwise oh dear. Hopefully Cameron spends the entire summer on the bench press. Sad to see Mullen's away and very much unmoved by the rest of the news.

Edited by the_bully_wee

I’m just gonna go back 12 months and pretend this season never happened if nobody minds - looking forward to watching Brian McLean and Peter Grant! What a pair of signings for this level!

Ross Lyon as skipper for the brave new world? I’m thinking the glorious return of JC Hutchison to go in nets.

2 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Interesting. We have no manager and are announcing signings….says it all.

Duffy being DoF probably means he can bring in players. Certainly at this stage when we have no Head Coach in place.

3 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I’m just gonna go back 12 months and pretend this season never happened if nobody minds - looking forward to watching Brian McLean and Peter Grant! What a pair of signings for this level!

Ross Lyon as skipper for the brave new world? I’m thinking the glorious return of JC Hutchison to go in nets.

Shame about the boy Thicot, he’s an absolute game-changer apparently…

Baffled by some of these decisions. I would have at least offered terms to Mullen, Roberts and Salkeld albeit highly unlikely the later two would have signed. 

Grant and McLean can't play together even in league 2 their lack of pace will be a big issue. Can't believe we've offered terms to Cameron and Lyon as well. 

3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm pretty sure the discussions with Mullen, Salkeld and Roberts would've gone something like "I'm off, don't waste your time offering me anything", to be fair.

This.

Quite sure we would have been keen to hold on to the likes of Mullen and Salkeld, but don't expect they will be short of offers (especially as low as ours!).

Not sure Cuddihy a good idea as likely to spend half the season on the treatment table (again).

Agree re above comment about Cameron, apparently his goal against Annan blows away any doubts about his footballing ability !

Aye let's offer new deals to 4 of the defenders from a team that conceded about 100 goals throughout the season. That's a cracking idea.

Happy to give Duthie a chance to get fit through pre season if he signs as he was superb at QOS on the opening day before his injury. Scullion also improved a lot through the season and would be content enough to keep as a squad player. 

Surprised at Cameron although he topped our assists chart which probably isn't saying much considering the 2 players behind him left in January.

Edited by CM.

I know I'm a bit late to the party here. But Duffy as Director of Football is a very weird one.

There's no denying he's an excellent coach. I've never heard a player say a bad word about him. What's always let him down is his recruitment. So moving him upstairs into a role where recruitment is a key responsibility (I assume) is absolutely bizarre.

If he was being kept on, then he'd be better kept on as a coach or advisor to a rookie manager. Not moved upstairs imo.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know I'm a bit late to the party here. But Duffy as Director of Football is a very weird one.

There's no denying he's an excellent coach. I've never heard a player say a bad word about him. What's always let him down is his recruitment. So moving him upstairs into a role where recruitment is a key responsibility (I assume) is absolutely bizarre.

If he was being kept on, then he'd be better kept on as a coach or advisor to a rookie manager. Not moved upstairs imo.

If you think Duffys recruitment is bad you shouldve seen Lennons!

35 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm pretty sure the discussions with Mullen, Salkeld and Roberts would've gone something like "I'm off, don't waste your time offering me anything", to be fair.

27 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Quite sure we would have been keen to hold on to the likes of Mullen and Salkeld, but don't expect they will be short of offers (especially as low as ours!).

Mullen at least is under 23 and could have been given an offer to protect compensation rights unless he's got something already in his contract to the contrary, or you simply can't afford to offer him "same again".

I’m suprised with some of the players we have offered terms to however would possibly break them down into 

cheap bench warmers:

Lyon, Cameron

Utility player :

Scullion

first team

Cuddihy, Duthie, Sula, R Grant? 

Potential player/ staff roles

Mclean and Peter Grant? 

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mullen at least is under 23 and could have been given an offer to protect compensation rights unless he's got something already in his contract to the contrary, or you simply can't afford to offer him "same again".

With this - if Mullen had been offered a real but rejected it, does that protect our right to compensation? You'd think with the likes of Mullen, Salkeld and Roberts we would have at least offered terms even if the chances are they'd have told us to bolt.

Also re: Salkeld - (likely unfounded) whispers that he's been offered terms by one of the borders clubs given where he lives. I'm assuming that'll be Annan and not Queens if true?

Edited by Brian Carrigan

4 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I'd be surprised if we don't offer terms to Joe McKee - played under Duffy at Morton and Dumbarton and has recently been freed. I'd probably take him if that's a possibility.

I was delighted to see Stefan McCluskey (a player who was good for us 10 years back) head to Kelty for that reason as I expect we will bring in a number of ex Duffy players.

Cameron only played well as a ten and not out wide. Cheap squad filler. Not for me, but we would probably sign exactly the same player anyway; every club at this level does.

I wouldn't have kept Lyon but didn't think for one minute that we wouldn't be offering him anything.

Peter Grant is a strange one as I thought he'd fallen out with Duffy? I think him, Sula and McLean would be fine in L2 in all honesty, the standard is a massive drop from L1, and centre halves are always hard to find.

No issues with Scullion, Cuddihy and Duthie. I'm disappointed Mullen isn't staying on, and didn't expect Salkeld or Roberts to do so.