Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Thank heavens for Twitter - otherwise we’d have no idea what was happening with any of our players.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and a new manager might randomly put up at TikTok at NDP with some Clyde gear on - or maybe it’s time for me to book my front row ticket for the exit trials…

2 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Signed Cunningham , thoughts on him ??

Sorry, but had no time for him. Coward of a player, spends more time out injured than playing. He will likely go on a run of scoring 4-5 in a row of games (assuming he’s fit to play 4 in a row) then disappear on the park for next dozen games. Lots of pace and decent strike but as I say won’t get involved and don’t ask him to track any runners.

Just now, Ignoramus said:

McLean as manager then?

Could be a shout.

Pleased that dinosaur Jim isn’t the manager anymore. Him being Director of Football sounds like something straight out of Football Manager.

Not bothered about Cunningham, undoubtedly has some ability but it was obvious he couldn’t wait to get out the door since about February. I would not be surprised if there was an gentleman’s agreement in place for this long before the end of the season.

17 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Signed Cunningham , thoughts on him ??

Good player on his day but very injury prone. Went through a period of only scoring against East Fife. 17 goals in 90 appearances doesn't make for good reading either.

To be honest though, it's hard to give a good read on whether Clyde players are actually good or not given the general malaise and poor standards from top to bottom.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You realise it's quite possible they learned about it when you did?

It's obviously quite possible yeah.

I am however very frustrated with my club. Please don't derail my moaning with logic or reason. This is neither the time nor the place.

Cunningham always seemed to get injured when he was coming into some form. E.g. he was brilliant at Dunfermline in Duffy's first game and injured after two minutes of his second. Definitely one of the better players we have signed since promotion, but never as good as he could have been.

Signing for Kelty, given their tight pitch, is strange. Very much needs space to run into.

I'm not overly against having Duffy as Director of Football, as long as he's no longer directing our football. Having a footballing link (and an experienced one at that) between the board and playing staff can't be a bad thing. I don't enjoy his football but he's not an offensive or irritating person.

9 minutes ago, David W said:

Cunningham always seemed to get injured when he was coming into some form. E.g. he was brilliant at Dunfermline in Duffy's first game and injured after two minutes of his second. Definitely one of the better players we have signed since promotion, but never as good as he could have been.

Signing for Kelty, given their tight pitch, is strange. Very much needs space to run into.

I'm not overly against having Duffy as Director of Football, as long as he's no longer directing our football. Having a footballing link (and an experienced one at that) between the board and playing staff can't be a bad thing. I don't enjoy his football but he's not an offensive or irritating person.

The extract from website clearly states that Duffy will be in charge of all footballing operations. To me this is manager without the title. The fact the board have now changed the wording to just "head coach" should highlight that JD will still be in charge of the football on the pitch.

13 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

The extract from website clearly states that Duffy will be in charge of all footballing operations. To me this is manager without the title. The fact the board have now changed the wording to just "head coach" should highlight that JD will still be in charge of the football on the pitch.

True. He's going to clone himself 10 times and that'll be our team for the season as well - couldn't be any worse than last year I suppose

19 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

Typically the head coach is in charge or training, tactics and would have a hand in signings etc but would report to the DOF

Duffy won’t be in charge of the football on the pitch but will be heavily involved in everything off it and influence it. Think of how Ross Wilson was involved at Rangers, not effecting tactics but more so through transfers and recruitment etc. 

Ultimately we won’t know how effective or how much influence he will have until he assumes the role. It may not be a bad idea to have him around if we go with a rookie or an inexperienced manager which is what I expect to be announced soon. 

The worrying part for me is the statement 

I will be working closely with a new Head Coach to assemble an almost completely new squad which will give us a fighting chance to compete next season”

This suggests to me that the aim next season is to try and be competitive. Would like “ competitive” to be defined, is it challenge for playoffs or try and avoid relegation?
Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it doesn’t fill me up with much confidence 

Edited by Ocelot1877

30 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

The worrying part for me is the statement 

I will be working closely with a new Head Coach to assemble an almost completely new squad which will give us a fighting chance to compete next season”

This suggests to me that the aim next season is to try and be competitive. Would like “ competitive” to be defined, is it challenge for playoffs or try and avoid relegation?
Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it doesn’t fill me up with much confidence 

Yeah this part threw me a bit too with what context he was meaning. 

At least "almost completely new squad" is music to the ear that the majority of these utter jobbers will be jettisoned. 

I'm not at all surprised the board have decided to side step making an actual footballing decision. It's kind of an easy out for them to shift the responsibility for replacing Duffy onto the man himself. 

Duffy is probably more qualified than the current board to make football decisions but that still doesn't make him the right appointment. 

It also means Duffy is starting with zero breathing space, from fans anyway. He wasn't exactly popular as manager first time round, and opinions of him have only deteriorated this season. The board had a chance to refresh things by clearing out the failed recruitment and management teams but instead have tied the new "Head Coach" to Duffy. If next season doesn't start well, Duffy will (correctly) immediately receive criticism ahead of any new coach.

Edited by Jaggy Snake